Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How to decide?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:36 pm
This question is still premature as the decision might be made for us based on factors beyond our control, but if it were up to you, and had to choose between 2 houses--one you love the location and the other you love the layout, but are otherwise equal, what would you do?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:37 pm

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:41 pm
we had same dilemma & e/o told us location. dont regret it though still hope one day to renovate or sell & buy better lyout house in this location.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:41 pm
What does it mean by otherwise equal?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:43 pm
You can change a house you cannot change the location!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:
What does it mean by otherwise equal?

Basically same size, #bedrooms, same neighborhood, same price. Other features are kind of "a wash".

The one with the location I love has a couple of layout features that I don't love--in a potentially significant way as much but can't be changed.

The one with the layout that I prefer--has an extra room or 2 depending how you count, is about .25-.5 miles further than I would like. Which is a factor on Shabbos when all of my kids' friends live on the "other side of town."

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 4:53 pm
Location. I have spent the last 3 years of my life miserable and practically suicidal because we made a mistake with the location. Moving soon, bh.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 8:50 pm
In this scenario, both houses are within walking distance from each other, both frum areas and the further house has a much more open layout, the house that's around the corner from shopping is more cramped.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 9:59 pm
I don't know, maybe I'm too "OOT" but we had a choice between 2 houses, same asking price. One is slightly better location, nearer to school, not as busy intersection to cross for shul, more friends around. Much smaller house. We went for the one farther out, and more people have moved in the houses in the past couple years, and it's been fine, though sometimes a drop annoying for my little ones who can't as easily have playdates with the people across the intersection. But it's sooo worth it for the size and layout of my house. I got so much more for my money, and I have a lot more menuchas hanefesh here. So on Shabbos, we either walk our kids or skip playdates with certain people and concentrate on others, but we CAN have playdates if adults get involved, as it's not a far walk. 1/4-1/2 a mile to me is nothing.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 10:06 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't know, maybe I'm too "OOT" but we had a choice between 2 houses, same asking price. One is slightly better location, nearer to school, not as busy intersection to cross for shul, more friends around. Much smaller house. We went for the one farther out, and more people have moved in the houses in the past couple years, and it's been fine, though sometimes a drop annoying for my little ones who can't as easily have playdates with the people across the intersection. But it's sooo worth it for the size and layout of my house. I got so much more for my money, and I have a lot more menuchas hanefesh here. So on Shabbos, we either walk our kids or skip playdates with certain people and concentrate on others, but we CAN have playdates if adults get involved, as it's not a far walk. 1/4-1/2 a mile to me is nothing.

Thanks, after much deliberation, at this point I think we're going to go with the better layout b/c as you said the distance is rather negligible. Both are in "well-established" parts of the neighborhood, just the people we know are on the "other side". Now to daven that everything else goes smoothly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating