Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Ideas for quality newer toys / games for gifts?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:35 pm
I need to buy gifts for some family members, a girl aged 5 and a boy aged 8. The kids have a very well supplied playroom with lots of cool and sophisticated toys. It can't be anything religious, as they are a little touchy about us being frum.

I'd spend between $30 and $60 each, but would consider going over if it were awesome.

In the past I bought the girl some Frozen dolls, which she loved, but I think those choices may be exhausted. Once bought Knex for the boy but it didn't go down so well. I think lego has already had its hour there too...
I thought of buying them a cute kids cookbook by Molly Katzen, but it's not quite impressive enough as a gift (or costly!).

Any ideas of newer quality toys or games out there? Kinda stumped Sad

redheaded

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 3:32 pm
My kids that age love the book Torah Town.

Hess truck
Remote control vehicle

Electronic monopoly for the big one
Prince and Princesses dress up

Playmobil

Magformers, need a lot to enjoy

Gel pens huge set and cool coloring books

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 5:56 pm
There are some really cool robotics/stem toys now, that if these kids are siblings you may be able to combine the money you would have spent for each and get them one to share. But as you say they have a very well-supplied and sophisticated playroom, I don't see any way for us to guess what they already have.

Maybe books would be a better direction - maybe a boxed set so as not to be too cheap.

Can you ask the parents what the kids would like?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:44 pm
Playsticks is a great toy. It costs around $25.

The 8 year old may like the game Ghost. It costs $20 at the local store.

Games are always a good gift. Check out your local Target for age appropriate ones.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:55 pm
Check out barnes and nobles toy section. They always have beautiful and unique toys!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 12:01 am
Thank you everyone for your ideas,

It's an awkward situation, where I had originally been given the heads up that their parents wouldn't be sending us Chanuka gifts this year (nothing negative, just that they weren't sending, and so therefore we shouldn't either), so I breathed a sigh of relief, because I always have such a hard time buying their kids presents. Then, the night after Zos Chanuka, the mother sent me a list of different things she wanted to buy my kids for Chanuka! So now I'm scrambling, and it's kind of awkward now to get back to her with my list... I just want to find something relatively novel and trendy, and send it already Smile

Sooo... I'm looking at this game of ghost... is it a board game (the older kid can't sit), or is it more of a fun action game? He hates educational stuff (I think his parents overdid it with that genre).

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 2:10 am
Why can't you just say "hey, I thought we weren't doing gifts this year! haha."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics