Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What would you do??? So depressed!

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:48 pm
Hi Everyone,

I make an average of $33K a year working full time. My husband makes $52K working for someone on an LLC (self employed). I'm paying for daycare $680 (not eligible for subsities from CHS (basically from the government) they are raising me now in day care to $725 starting September and I'm due with a baby iyH in 3 weeks. I would like to send to this daycare as well. For my baby it it would be $925 I'm at a total per month of $1,650 just in daycare! Now my boss is paying this year $310 towards daycare and I pay the rest. Now the big money is what after 3:15. For next year it would be for both kids an extra $450. I kindly asked my boss to continue paying the $310 and in September to pay $310+$450 and he said no. He would give me a raise of $200 a month now and $200 next January. I'm working there for 2 years and super devoted! I'm only working until 5 because he needs me there. It would come out way cheaper for me to get my kids at 3:15. I'm sitting here stressed out about this and I need to give daycare an answer by tomorrow if I'm sending both kids. I don't know how to change this. This is one thing that I seriously can't afford!!

Posted anonymous because I spoke to people about this but don't seem to get a realistic outcome.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:59 pm
I'd tel my boss I can't work past 315 then. If you are such a good worker he'll make it work.

-A boss

Tekky

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 9:45 pm
I agree. There are so so many jobs out there and he likely doesnt want to lose you. If he does let you go, you can be rest-assured that you'll find another one

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:07 pm
Op here...It's upsetting to me because I'm willing to work 9-5 and I'm making a measly 33K a year. I feel like people are making more money without having learned something. Where am I going wrong? Why can't I get a job that pays 40K-50K? I'm such a hard worker!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:53 pm
I dont mean to make you feel bad but You're making like 15/hour.... for that price you should have flexibility. Maybe you should job hunt. Do you even make a profit after childcare expenses?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:55 pm
I am making $15/hours. I make commission as well. Not enough money to work. I live in Lakewood. Can someone rescue me??? I'm having a baby in 3 weeks.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 11:37 pm
I wonder if you could find a nanny to be in your home for $1000 a month or so rather than pay $1650 (PLUS an extra $450? wowzers) to a daycare. Next baby you give her a raise but not the highway robbery that this daycare is charging you. OR a much less expensive daycare. I have a friend who takes $4 per kid per hour no matter the age---- if you sent to such a place it would be $8 per hour so from 9 to 5 it would be $64 a day M through Th and less on Fridays assuming you don't work till 5 on Fridays! Smile

Plus if you have a nanny in your home she might do some light cleaning or laundry while baby naps.

Finding a less expensive childcare solution would be easier than finding a different job I'd think--- so that's how I would do it.

Hatzlacha and b'shaah tovah!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:28 am
so confused OP 33000 / 2000 hrs of work a year is about $16 an hour

$16 x 32 hours that you work from 3-5 daily = $512 a month. Before taxes.

If you pay $450 of that to the babysitter, you are coming out with about $62.

Even with a raise its only $260 a month. That's $65 a week or about $8 an hour.

The question here is, do you need that extra $260 enough that you are willing to leave your babies in daycare all day long. If yes, then book the daycare and look for a better paying job if you can get it.

Also for the poster who lives in Lakewood, take Family leave.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:58 am
I make closed year after taxes with 33K. I am paying for my son $680 a month. I financial can't afford to pay for another child at this rate. It's almost not worth it for me to work.

zigi

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:16 pm
eventually you would have to pay tuition. do you get any benefits from work? will you be eligible for a raise soon?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:18 pm
It always pays to work at some level. It is extremely hard to reenter the work force after a long break. You are better off working part time rather then quitting completely if you can manage income wise.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:33 pm
OP the job market right now in Lakewood is awesome, people are desperate for good workers! There is absolutely no reason for you to take this, time to look for something new. If you like your current job, have a clear conversation with your boss, laying out the going rate for others in your position, and what you expect to earn. Make it a logical conversation about simple numbers, nothing personal.
I'm saying this as a manager at a Lakewood company, we pay way more than that and I know that everyone I speak to is looking for good workers. I'm not sure if they're hiring now, but many medical billing companies (LTC, Global, etc.) pay more than that, just an idea. Good luck!

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:38 pm
I'm do for a raise but he isn't interested in giving me a significant raise. I'm EXTREMELY devoted, too devoted to my job. I also feel he doesn't have the money for it. I'm working at my job for 2 years and I haven't received a single bonus! I can count on one hand how many thanks you's I got for staying late (no overtime)... Basically I'm not appreciated so when I ask for something like help pay for daycare otherwise it's not worth staying full time I would appreciate him to say yes. Obviously I'm not worth it for him. I might as well find a job where I work less hours to afford playgroup and babysitters and get paid the same with less hours. It's possible out there. I know people getting that.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
I'd tel my boss I can't work past 315 then. If you are such a good worker he'll make it work.

-A boss

I'd tell my employee that:

(1) Her salary is based on what the job merits. Her work does not become more valuable to me because she has decided to have another child. In fact, it would be discriminatory for me to base salary based on the number of family members that my employees support.

(2) I need a full-time worker. If she doesn't want to work full time, I'll be glad to provide her with a reference.

(3) She is making a whole lot more than she claims. In a later post, she pointed out that she is taking home $33,000 per year AFTER TAXES. That's about $45,000, plus the amount that I pay on her behalf to the daycare, which is tax free to her. That's about $50,000 per year, or $27.50 an hour for a 35 hour work week.

-- Also a boss
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics