Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's your husbands job?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:31 am
My husband is in sales and makes about $75k. He could make more in a different position, but he works from home and that flexibility and convenience is worth a lot.

amother
Goldenrod

My husband is also an actuary. Makes about 100k. Although the potential for 250k is there, that could be many years away. It's a slow climb up.

HeartyAppetite

Administrative assistant - he makes about 46,000. But he's only working there for 8 months so he will be getting a raise shortly iyh.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:00 pm
My husband has a Master's in Education, and works two jobs. One as a teacher in a well paying school and one in administration in an agency. Works from early morning till 10:30 pm, and makes $125k. ...Not great for the hours he puts in..
I work full time too.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:11 pm
fish wrote:
Amother fuchsia whose husband is an Actuary can you please pm me? My husband is currently taking exams (not yet working) and we are always looking for advice. We are also in canada so if I can ask you a few question I would appreciate it.

Sent you a PM

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Dh comes home at 12 am many many nights. We have zex 1-2 am after talking about our day. Friday he come home by the zman and we usually have relations that night too. It's possible.

I wasn't the one questioning it--just showing another scenario that makes it challenging. If my husband came home after 12am there is no way I'd be waiting up--I have to be up for work at 5. But I think most people figure it out.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:30 pm
Education Administrator for the Dept. of Education, NYC. (He teaches teachers how to teach.)
Around 110K. But I have to add on another--I don't know--10-20K for great benefits. Free healthcare. Pretty great.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
I wasn't the one questioning it--just showing another scenario that makes it challenging. If my husband came home after 12am there is no way I'd be waiting up--I have to be up for work at 5. But I think most people figure it out.

I know. I just couldn't find the original post.

Carmen Luna

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
Just wondering....are you suggesting 50k is high or low? I see your from Brooklyn.

Quite low. I mean, I don't see how we would survive on such a paycheck..
DH pulls in 150K plus residual income

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
my dh is a medical fellow (doctor) and makes about 55k
IYH when he applies for a job, he has the opportunity to make about 250,000

I work as a teacher part time

My husband is a resident. I did not realize that drs can make 250k. Hopefully all his hard work will be worth it one day.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is a resident. I did not realize that drs can make 250k. Hopefully all his hard work will be worth it one day.

Really? Your husband is a resident and you never talked about finances? I'm not asking to be snarky, I'm genuinely shocked. DH & I met and married before he even applied to medical school, and student debt/return on investment/specialty salaries were a huge part of the discussion all the way through. My husband happens to love a specialty that has a much bigger earning potential (starting at 300k+), but even if he would have loved, say, family medicine, I don't know if we could have afforded for him to go into that, since the pay is so low. We had no help with tuition and have a huge student loan debt.

I mean, we're not doing this for a low salary at the end of all this struggle. Honestly, earning potential is a huge part of all of this. Did you guys not talk about salaries at all?

cnc

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:57 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
Quite low. I mean, I don't see how we would survive on such a paycheck..
DH pulls in 150K plus residual income

Many factors need to be taken into the equation such as location(housing costs) , tuition etc....
Many people in Brooklyn with tuition expenses would not be able to survive on such a salary but it may be very doable for someone with low housing costs and one or no kids in school.

Also,some people just do not make ends meet.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:

Someone who's husband makes 1.5M is probably home taking care of the family and doesn't necessarily have financial obligations to wake up for but has to take care of the family.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:33 pm
Attorney 250k

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:55 pm
Self employed attorney around 500k. Bh.

MrsDash

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:00 pm
A wizard.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
Self employed attorney around 500k. Bh.

Can I ask what area of law he practices?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
High school rebbe with some administrative responsibilities. 60k.
But, within the next few years we have 2 sons who will be in the school, and massive tuition breaks for teachers is part of the package. So for a few years we will have up to an additional 20k back in reduced tuition.

Why the hug? If it's regarding the tuition break, please keep in mind that that is considered part of the "benefits package" for a Rebbe in the institution, not us begging for charity. If its because you consider this a pathetic job, know that DH has a masters degree, and chose to work in this area because he is passionate about what he does, and he is exceptionally good at it. He is impacting young minds, and we have many grateful parents express their hakaras hatov all the time. If its because you consider 60K to be a poor salary, well, I too wish he would be better compensated, but we are doing just fine, thank you. There are nonmonetary benefits to this job as well - summers and yamim tovim off, DH being off whenever the Jewish schools are off (and I'm not, so we don't need to hire babysitters)

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:31 pm
My husband is teacher and a principal in a small day school. He makes about 45k. That includes working summers as a camp director.

I know it's bubkes.... but what can you do? And my kids go to school for free.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 12:39 am
MrsDash wrote:
A wizard.
but gamps law of transformation says you can't make money.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics