Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
NYU Hebrew Proficiency Exam

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:05 pm
Has anyone recently taken the NYU Hebrew Language Proficiency Exam? There are no sample exams available, and I am a very nervous test taker. I lived in Israel for 5 years, and have a solid Hebrew (though my grammar has declined). But the thing I am most nervous about is the new format. It is an online test taken from home. Short answers and essays must be typed in Hebrew using an online virtual keyboard. I am very concerned that I will not have enough time to complete the exam in time because of this. It seems so unfair.....

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:12 pm
I've taken the Yiddish exam a while ago and the time allotment was way way more than necessary.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:13 pm
Did you have to type in Yiddish?

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
Did you have to type in Yiddish?

No- handwritten

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:33 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:37 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I took the Hebrew exam. It was really easy- I got a 12 out of 12, and I'm American without any special background in Hebrew. I also found the time allotment way more than necessary. If you're going to practice for the test, you might be best off practicing your Hebrew typing skills!

Did you have to type in Hebrew? Can you give me any more details?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:42 pm
Delete

Sweet as Pie

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 9:26 am
hi, bumping this up because im takingf the yiddish online proficiency exam monday and im nervous about the typing part. I can write and speak yiddish, not as fluent in reading but I can manage it enough to read though
my issue is the hebrew keyboard which I'm not familiar with. did anyone take the exam and can tell me if I would use my actual keyboard or is it a "virtual keyboard" as op said, on a screen?

also, how was the test itslef? is the essay complicated or demanding? especially since I am not used to typing and if the essay itself is complicated or long I need to prepare for it.

thanks in advance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics