Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Maternity Leave - what should it be?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 7:48 pm
So maternity leave in BYA (a school in Flatbush) is 4 weeks (unpaid, I think, though not sure).

Maternity leave in Israel is 3 months paid. Govt. is paying for it.

Okay, someone teaching is usually teaching half a day, so maybe it's not utterly insane for a kimpeturin to leave her 4 week old infant and get dressed and leave for work, buuuut it still sounds insane. Such a progressive school, with a resource room, computers, but no nursery for the teachers' babies?????????

What do YOU think is normal maternity leave and with or without pay?

shlumzmum

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 8:03 pm
I think that a woman is ready to go to work when her baby is 6 weeks old, after the post partum check up.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 8:19 pm
yup they say 6 weeks ...

but once I had my first baby in my arms ... I just couldn't do it ...

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 9:09 pm
We get a year off here, and they are thinking of extending it to 18 months.

I couldn't imagine going back to work after 6 weeks, I think thats insane.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 9:48 pm
I don't work for BYA, but for Yeled V'Yalda. I think you get 6 weeks unpaid (unless you have sick days), but you can get DISABILITY for 6 weeks. You should definately look into that (don't make much, but it's something). Also, if you feel you need 6 weeks (or more) - ASK!
b'sha-ah tova and feel good!

Abigail

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 4:40 am
that is insane here in england you get 6 months 90% of pay next 3 months half pay and the last 3 months no pay. thats 12 months maternity leave in school. I could never cope with going back after 4 weeks, its crazy!!

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 6:12 am
In Israel it's 14 weeks (was just raised from 12 weeks this year). In Canada it's a full year, on 50% pay (paid by unemployment benefits). 4 weeks just isn't reasonable if there's no child care facility. It means you HAVE to formula or bottle feed, and a lot of babies who are breastfed haven't been introduced to a bottle yet at that point. I don't think it's realistic or practical. Even at 3 months I don't know how I'm going to manage.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 8:08 am
In the US average time taken off for maternity leave is 4 weeks. The US has the worst maternity benefits of any first world country.

nicole81

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 10:44 am
is bya exempt from fmla?

I think the 12 weeks weeks unpaid we get here are reasonable. most people have more than recovered, and if you're nursing, 3 months is a decent amount of time to establish it well. of course I would love more time for emotional reasons, but since when does that really matter in the workforce?

I wouldn't expect the goverment to pay for benefits either. it's great that other countries do, but I don't really view this as our government's responsibility.

Motek

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 3:04 pm
nicole81 wrote:
is bya exempt from fmla?

seems any school is

check the rules and you'll see that an eligible employee "Has been employed by the employer for at least 12 months, and has been employed for at least 1,250 hours of service during the
12-month period immediately preceding the commencement of the leave."

No teacher in our schools fits that criteria.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 3:29 pm
In Scandinavia, they get between 50 and 60 something.... WEEKS!!!! And I believe the mother and father can share that time, either one can take off from work (but I may be wrong). It's cruel enough that in Israel PAID leave is only 14 weeks (they have to hold a job for you here for up to a year, but after 14 weeks it's unpaid leave) but in the U.S. ANYTHING goes, which is beyond cruel.
A good friend of mine, mother to 4 told me, after my 4th, that it takes FOUR MONTHS for things to get back to normal around the house, after a new baby. I think that's a good rule of thumb. So, after things are back to normal, maybe then it's time to consider going back to a job, if you must. At four weeks you have not yet totally bonded with the baby (why, you may have just had a pidyon), your body is definately not back to normal, your house is still upside down... OY!
I hope you can manage, good luck!

Motek

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 4:46 pm
Tamiri wrote:
In Scandinavia, they get between 50 and 60 something.... WEEKS!!!!

How many children do they have on average? that might explain it.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 4:53 pm
Does anyone know, Can you get disability paid maternity leave if you are not going to come back after the 6 weeks (or whatever the time is). Or what if you are unsure? Or if you plan on looking for another type of job afterwards?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 5:31 pm
Motek wrote:
nicole81 wrote:
is bya exempt from fmla?

seems any school is

check the rules and you'll see that an eligible employee "Has been employed by the employer for at least 12 months, and has been employed for at least 1,250 hours of service during the

OK her is the deal. I just went through this I live in NY and work for a Jewish school. Since they are a non-profit organization they are exempt from having to provide disability. Meaning usually any company would by law need to take out money from the employees paychecks, and if a sickness or maternity leave occurs they emplayee can recieve money. I am guessing that your school is a non-profit so you never paid into disability so you won't get any money. That being said they are obligated under fmla to give you time off- I guess that they might be able to get around that too because you may not have worked there a full year because you took off a summer? But if you are considered a full time employee for over a year then they can't fire you if you take off- and in NY State it's a long amount of time- over a year.

I personally took off six weeks, did not get paid. They did give me tiny bit- but I don't thinkt hey were obligated to. I think that six weeks is crazy. I wonder of any of the ppl here who are so quiq to say it is ok have ever done it???? The baby is not sleeping through the night yet, so you are not really getting enough sleep to function normally- I think at least three months.

So find out if you are a full time employee and if you can afford it take off about three months.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
Motek wrote:
nicole81 wrote:
is bya exempt from fmla?

seems any school is

That being said they are obligated under fmla to give you time off- I guess that they might be able to get around that too because you may not have worked there a full year because you took off a summer? But if you are considered a full time employee for over a year then they can't fire you if you take off- and in NY State it's a long amount of time- over a year.

So find out if you are a full time employee and if you can afford it take off about three months.

I'm not sure about NY, but most teachers are NOT considered unemployed every summer. Unless their contract states specifically that they are employed only from September to June. Which, given the amount of prep time that most put in, I would find hard to believe.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 1:31 am
Motek wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
In Scandinavia, they get between 50 and 60 something.... WEEKS!!!!

How many children do they have on average? that might explain it.

true. So the winners there are the few large families.

In France you even have a medal for a certain number of children. 4 is bronze medal, 6 is silver, 8 is gold LOL

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 10:04 am
Tamiri wrote:
In Scandinavia, they get between 50 and 60 something.... WEEKS!!!! And I believe the mother and father can share that time, either one can take off from work (but I may be wrong). It's cruel enough that in Israel PAID leave is only 14 weeks (they have to hold a job for you here for up to a year, but after 14 weeks it's unpaid leave) but in the U.S. ANYTHING goes, which is beyond cruel.
A good friend of mine, mother to 4 told me, after my 4th, that it takes FOUR MONTHS for things to get back to normal around the house, after a new baby. I think that's a good rule of thumb. So, after things are back to normal, maybe then it's time to consider going back to a job, if you must. At four weeks you have not yet totally bonded with the baby (why, you may have just had a pidyon), your body is definately not back to normal, your house is still upside down... OY!
I hope you can manage, good luck!

It's the same in Canada, we get 52 weeks off. It's because they want to encourage people to have more children.

gold21

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 10:33 am
1. if you are a valuable important employee, how are they supposed to manage without you for a whole year? get a one year temp?... why wouldnt they just make that temp permanent then? I dont get it...how is your position being filled for an entire year?....just manage without you? lets say you play a pivotal role in the company?....employers may be less interested in putting young (I.e. fertile) women in important positions if they have to pay a whole year postpardum...no? I dunno....
2. from the employee's perspective: 4 weeks or 6 weeks is WAY too short! I mean, hello, you have to go back to work when you are barely sleeping at night, just recovering from a major bodily "trauma" = labor and delivery, have a newborn to take care of, adjusting to a totally new situation (a new child) etc....it seems so outlandish to expect a woman to go back to work, especially full time, at 6 weeks postapardum, let alone 4 weeks!! its just nuts.

ok so I dont have a solution. maybe 10 weeks? a good medium...

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 10:57 am
gold21 wrote:
1. if you are a valuable important employee, how are they supposed to manage without you for a whole year? get a one year temp?... why wouldnt they just make that temp permanent then? I dont get it...how is your position being filled for an entire year?....just manage without you? lets say you play a pivotal role in the company?....employers may be less interested in putting young (I.e. fertile) women in important positions if they have to pay a whole year postpardum...no? I dunno....
2. from the employee's perspective: 4 weeks or 6 weeks is WAY too short! I mean, hello, you have to go back to work when you are barely sleeping at night, just recovering from a major bodily "trauma" = labor and delivery, have a newborn to take care of, adjusting to a totally new situation (a new child) etc....it seems so outlandish to expect a woman to go back to work, especially full time, at 6 weeks postapardum, let alone 4 weeks!! its just nuts.

ok so I dont have a solution. maybe 10 weeks? a good medium...

They don't pay the leave, the government does.

gold21

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 11:13 am
its not the pay, that I was reffering to as an issue, its the time off...how do they manage without the employee for such a length of time?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics