Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much do you charge per hr for freelance editing?
Previous  1  2

cnc

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
It sounds like you are learning on the job, which means you certainly should not be charging a high end rate.

This.

pause

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 8:00 am
When I researched this, I was told that (capable) beginners who do freelance editing/proofreading charge $30/hr.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. He didn't ask for market rates. He asked me how much I charge for editing. Since I do not have a specific rate for editing, I used my regular working rate.

It seems to me that he is prepared to pay whatever fee I quote. I simply do not want to overcharge. Does $400 sound like highway robbery for editing a 25 page document? This includes shaving off a significant amount of hours worked. I guess it's pretty obvious that this is not my regular line of work (that's not to say I didn't do a good job Wink.

I would leave the rate - your client agreed to that... but your pace may be too slow. so recalculate based on maybe 10 minutes a page?

Its not highway robbery if you are transparent with your client.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 9:12 am
I do very specific editing which includes content revision/multiple back and forth conversations (I edit applications, specialty in health fields). I find it easier to charge per project or per word. I speak with the client and give them an estimate based on The project and how much work it will need. Once I did an hourly rate but this was because the person wanted to do line by line editing over the phone. She got a package of a certain number of minutes and it was very pricey but that's what she wanted.

You should always be able to take a look at the project and tell the client an estimate. If you quoted something before being given the project but then after seeing it realize it will need more work, immediately contact the client so they can decide if they want to proceed at a higher rate.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
I would leave the rate - your client agreed to that... but your pace may be too slow. so recalculate based on maybe 10 minutes a page?

Its not highway robbery if you are transparent with your client.

10 minutes a page is a very light copy-edit, if that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
10 minutes a page is a very light copy-edit, if that.

I googled it... I could be wrong. My suggestion remains the same - client agreed to a high hourly rate - so if OP is working at a reasonable pace (lets define that as what google says is average pace for the kind of editing she is doing) then there is no reason why she should be providing any discounts, especially since she informed her client that her estimate of 1-2 hours wasn't accurate.

Sounds like she agreed to be doing light copy-edit and ending up providing a different service.

what wasn't 'normal' (OP's word) here is the rate she quoted.. but it was accepted so she should get paid for time spent, assuming she's working at a reasonable pace, and doing the kind of editing agreed upon.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
I googled it... I could be wrong. My suggestion remains the same - client agreed to a high hourly rate - so if OP is working at a reasonable pace (lets define that as what google says is average pace for the kind of editing she is doing) then there is no reason why she should be providing any discounts, especially since she informed her client that her estimate of 1-2 hours wasn't accurate.

Sounds like she agreed to be doing light copy-edit and ending up providing a different service.

what wasn't 'normal' (OP's word) here is the rate she quoted.. but it was accepted so she should get paid for time spent, assuming she's working at a reasonable pace, and doing the kind of editing agreed upon.

Yes to the bolded. I thought I would just need to light grammar checking and sentence structuring. However, the document was written by someone without proper schooling and whose first language isn't English. He did a great job despite his background, but the document needed a lot of work to transform it into an academic paper. For example, I needed to remove certain cultural phrases and restructure paragraphs to provide more clarity.

Either way, I think will cut my rate down. Thank you all for your insight.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics