Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going for a second degree

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:37 am
I'd love to go back to school for a second degree in a field that I love.
Is there ANY way to do that in a cheap way? Any inexpensive online schools?
Thanks!

nursemomma

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 11:00 am
Without naming the field, I don't think anyone can help you. First tell us what kind of degree you would like, and then posters may be able to guide you.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:05 pm
Good point. I'd like to go for an RD (registered dietitian).

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:07 pm
What is your first degree? Do you have most of the required classes or prerequisites for an RD?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:08 pm
I think that's a relatively cheap degree think 35k or so that you can do online. But the pay not great.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:31 pm
Please search the "nutritionist" and "dietitian" threads, if you have not done so already. There are a few of us here who usually respond to career questions.

To become an RD, you need a specific set of courses (Didactic Program in Dietetics, or DPD) plus a supervised practice program (Dietetic Internship, or DI, or less often a variation called ISPP). Find them here: http://www.eatrightacend.org/A.....85422 You will find tuition costs listed.

The DPD can involve either a bachelor's or master's degree. To cut costs, you can take some of your basic classes, if you don't have them already, at community college. Before making a commitment to this plan, make sure everything is transferable. If your degree is fairly recent, you may be able to apply some of your classes toward a DPD. It is possible (but I'm not sure) that you won't need a second degree as long as you are a college graduate and have all the necessary DPD courses - however, there is a strong push within the profession for everyone to have a master's degree.

Internships are extremely competitive, and not guaranteed to all DPD graduates. They can be expensive. Again, check the ACEND site linked above for tuitions. To switch between DPD and DI, use the "accredited education programs" link on the left menu. There are some lower cost options. Government/military options may even pay a stipend.

Coordinated programs include the DPD and DI together. Once again, check the link to compare programs.

It is true that salaries are very low (unless you are in management or have the entrepreneurial spirit) but if you love your work it may be worthwhile. It sounds as though cost is important to you, so be realistic about your earning potential.

ETA - some internships give credit for prior learning, so the process may be shorter (not necessarily less expensive) allowing you to work sooner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics