Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Arizona with young kids

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:47 am
Can anyone help me with planning a trip to Arizona? We may have the opportunity to be in Phoenix Arizona and want to try to make it into a trip for our family as we rarely get to go travel. I've kind of always wanted to see the Grand Canyon and would love to hike/ see beautiful nature. Is it doable to enjoy Arizona/Grand Canyon with little kids (ages 1- 7)?
We would have to stay somewhere/ get ourselves to the Grand canyon/ do the sightseeing on a pretty tight budget. We would probably have about 3 days .

Anyone have experience with vacation/travel in Arizona with little kids? Is it doable /worthwhile??
I would so appreciate any help and advice!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:28 am
I took young kids to the Grand Canyon. We drove back and forth from Phoenix in 1 day. We walked a little there, took some pictures and watched the video. I was not there, but I think there is a Lego Land and aquarium in a mall in Phoenix. I think there were good coupons to do both.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:08 pm
There is lots to do with young kids in Phoenix.

Check out:

Childrens Museum (3 story, great place for kids this age)
McCormick Stillman Railroad Park - free, nice outing for little kids
Phoenix Zoo and Papago Park with Hole in the Rock
Legoland

Grand Canyon is doable. You can walk around the rim, but obviously won't be able to do much hiking. Just please note, that much of the canyon does not have a guard rail, so you will need to hold onto your kids and may not be able to spend a full day there! Please note that the Grand Canyon can be quite cold in the winter, so check out the weather before you head out!

Look into Sedona too. Beautiful and plenty of family friendly hikes.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:38 am
thanks for your responses! For those who went with kids to Grand Canyon, would you say it was worth it? To drive there and back for it?
Also if this is likely the one time you will be in Arizona, what are the must sees/ dos?

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:14 am
If this is likely the only time you'll be in Arizona, definitely don't go there without seeing the Grand Canyon!! I would recommend overnighting there, or at least in Sedona on the way back, to have more time for sightseeing and to break up the driving.

Obviously with little kids you won't hike to the bottom, but you can easily go to the major overlooks, and just keep a close eye on them for safety reasons. If possible, try to get a child carrier and hike down even half a mile on one of the 2 main trails; it gives you a completely different perspective to be in it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics