Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Any Lakewood girls schools without a "tights" rule?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:40 am
Anyone?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:32 am
Are you asking about high school or elementary?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 6:48 am
That is an interesting question but the reason why they make the kids wear tight is because it's part of the official uniform look. My family goes to Bnos Devora, it seems they wear socks but I dont know to what age.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:24 am
Asking abt elementary. This was not a rule in my BY school in a different community . My daughter hates tights. And don't they get hot in the fall and spring months ? How is it a uniform look ? If your knees are covered with a uniform skirt why do tights make it look any better than socks?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
Asking abt elementary. This was not a rule in my BY school in a different community . My daughter hates tights. And don't they get hot in the fall and spring months ? How is it a uniform look ? If your knees are covered with a uniform skirt why do tights make it look any better than socks?

If you have to ask that , Lakewood is obviously not for you Smile

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:50 am
Well there are plenty of ppl like me who live here and I live here too and I fit in. Thanks. Just genuinely asking abt the tights issue. Back to my original question... any schools that don't have this rule?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:52 am
Most have the rule and most girls break it so say my 5 daughters. In many schools the rule usually starts in 4th grade.

I make my elementary DD's where tights to school. My HS DD's refuse to.

If you don't show skin you won't get in trouble

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:05 am
Thanks for above reply! My next question was going to be how strict the schools are abt this , and how they really know anyway.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:17 am
In Bais Faiga, the girls have to wear tights beginning in 3rd grade (the rule used to be from 6th grade). They are pretty strict about this rule. I think the rule was created because elementary school girls are wearing just-below-the-knee-length uniforms, and they were seeing alot of gaps between socks and skirts. In fact, I remember that when my older DD was in lower elementary, alot of girls were pushing the knee-sock rule to more like mid-calf socks, with quite a gap. The school does not want to be dealing with tons of breaches in the school rule, they don't want to act like a tznius police, but they have parents who want a certain standard, so they tightened the rules.

In high school the girls wear much longer skirts. Officially they are supposed to wear tights, but alot of girls wear socks. What no one sees does not hurt them. I tell my girls that in high school they are old enough to be their own boss, and if they are caught they will do whatever the consequences are. If they wear socks with long skirts and no one sees, great. If they have gym or dance practice they need to cover up more (they put on a pair of leggings under their skirts for that.)

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:14 am
My daughters' school does not require tights at any age. Officially the older grades (I think 6-8) are supposed to wear thigh highs or tights but it does not appear that they are strictly enforced. It is an amazing school, in general, and a great parent body.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:15 am
Different schools start at different ages. But I think by about 6th grade almost all the school's require it.
I think because of height its easier to tell on shorter younger girls when they are wearing knee socks because their skirts aren't so long. As they get older and are able to wear longer skirts its easier to hide - unless they are playing ball or jump rope during recess.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:32 am
Mameleh - what school?

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
Mameleh - what school?

Ateres Tzipora

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 11:36 am
Most schools only require in older grades.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 11:48 am
I think that you would be giving up on a lot just to find a school that doesn't require tights. In the heat of the summer they are out of school anyway and these days all the schools are air conditioned. You need to look at a lot more than whether or not there is a tights rule when they get older. It's not so hard to wear when 27 classmates are wearing them too. Look at the teachers, the student body, the families the girls come from, the hashkafos the school instills. You would not be sending your dd to a real BY type school if you go to the one that was previously mentioned.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 11:56 am
Amother Floralwhite, I'm not sure why you would say that. Ateres Tzipora is very much a Bais Yaakov type school except that it does not believe that in order to be frum you have to fit in a box. They actually encourage the girls to be themselves and use their G-d given talents in their Avodas Hashem (not just the talents that fit into the 'normal' BY curiculum).
I find that it has much more in common with the out-of-town BY's then with the NY ones, but I think that's a good thing.
Currently, Rabbi Teichman (the head of BYA in Brooklyn) is the dean (this is a new development this year).
Mrs Shulamith Insel is the principal and she is absolutely AMAZING!!! She actually cares about each student (current & alum) and their families (more than she cares about the school's image). The girls enjoy being in school and the entire school feels like a big family.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 11:58 am
I know it's not what you're asking. But at first I was bothered by the tights rule being pushed down to lower grades.

But I'm very happy now because tights are so much easier from a housekeeping point of view. You don't have to make sure pairs of the same colors and sizes stay together. Most of the year anyway is cooler weather.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
I think that you would be giving up on a lot just to find a school that doesn't require tights. In the heat of the summer they are out of school anyway and these days all the schools are air conditioned. You need to look at a lot more than whether or not there is a tights rule when they get older. It's not so hard to wear when 27 classmates are wearing them too. Look at the teachers, the student body, the families the girls come from, the hashkafos the school instills. You would not be sending your dd to a real BY type school if you go to the one that was previously mentioned.

I agree that focusing on only one aspect of a school, such as whether they allow socks vs. tights, is rather limiting, and it's a good idea to look at the whole Hashkafa and parent body of a school when making a choice.

However, I disagree with and protest the last sentence. Not that I'm very familiar with the school - I actually don't know anyone that sends there - but I can't imagine that it is not a BY type school, and I think it's really not nice to say that.

I also think there might be other, excellent schools in town that have a slightly more relaxed approach to tznius in very young students. I'm not sure what their policy is, but for example I don't think Bnos Esther Malka requires tights yet - their oldest grade is 4th, so they may introduce rules as their students get a bit older....I have nieces in BEM and it is well-run, with an excellent staff and nice parent body.

ETA: Bnos Bracha might be another school to check out - I'm pretty sure my niece was wearing knee socks when she stayed at my house for a few days.....

Last edited by Chayalle on Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:01 pm
Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't pick a school based on this alone obviously. Just trying to get a feel for what's the norm.

Interesting about Rabbi Teichman being the new dean of AT. Would you say the school is trying model itself after BYA in Brooklyn ?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:04 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I know it's not what you're asking. But at first I was bothered by the tights rule being pushed down to lower grades.

But I'm very happy now because tights are so much easier from a housekeeping point of view. You don't have to make sure pairs of the same colors and sizes stay together. Most of the year anyway is cooler weather.

And I find it harder and more expensive. My eight year old is very sensory, and she can't stand wearing a darned pair of tights. The minute it gets a hole, out it goes. Knee socks were much cheaper, and I could buy a few of the same sock, so that if one got a hole or got lost, I still had half a pair....

I was perfectly fine with tights starting in sixth grade, but one rule like this doesn't make it or break it for me. I still think BF is a great school and I'm glad and feel lucky to be a parent there.

Your attitude is better than mine Simple1....guess I should focus on the pros - not having to pair socks when folding laundry. But the rate my DD goes thru pairs of tights is nuts...I bought Lands End and she still gets holes in them....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics