Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My laundry seems to grow on trees!!
1  2  Next

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 5:47 pm
No matter how often I do laundry there is always someone complaining that they don't have a clean pair of socks, or shirt, or pajamas etc. I just spent an hour in my laundry room just sorting all the hampers and spraying white shirts with oxy clean before I wash. How often do you do laundry ? I have at least 10 loads waiting to be washed and there is not enough time in the day to do it all!!! Any tips? I don't have a cleaning lady and it's not an option. I do laundry before I go to work , when I get home from work, Thursday eve., Friday morning and afternoon and all through the day Sunday. I only have 4 kids but me, my DH and two of my kids are 6 feet tall and I think our laundry fills the machine too quickly. I need tips of how to get it all done without me having to catch my breathe. And I'm only referring to the Washing part. Don't even get me started on the folding.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 5:51 pm
I try to throw in one load day to stay on top of the situation either before and after work.
I hang most clothes so I just place it on the closet rod once dry.
Thursdays and Sundays I do more loads.
The underwear situation is another story. I only get to fold one to two times per week. We usually don't run out of folded laundry but if we do we can still get a clean pair from the clean laundry basket.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:19 pm
I used to do a load a day. then we moved and bought new washing machines. the capacity allows for a double load, so I do 3-5 loads a week, the higher end if we have guest bedding to wash. if you have the money, buy a bigger machine. it's a sanity saver. if you don't have the money, teach your kids to do laundry. also a sanity saver. or you could do both.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:26 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I used to do a load a day. then we moved and bought new washing machines. the capacity allows for a double load, so I do 3-5 loads a week, the higher end if we have guest bedding to wash. if you have the money, buy a bigger machine. it's a sanity saver. if you don't have the money, teach your kids to do laundry. also a sanity saver. or you could do both.

I think I'm really ready to invest in a second machine. The situation is not normal. My MIL sometimes does my laundry when she's visiting and always comments how it's never ending. And when I used to have a cleaning woman she also said I have so, so much laundry. MIL thinks I should have less clothes for everyone, but then they'll for sure kvetch they don't have clean clothes!

Flower Girl

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:37 pm
Now that my kids are not babies anymore I realized that it's okay to wear the same cloths two days without washing. ex: pjs do not need to be changed every night. That alone reduced laundry situation tremendously.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:38 pm
I wash laundry on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. The Fridays load I fold on Sunday. I make sure to fold laundry the day it's washed- no
Excuses. I don't find that my laundry is out of control at all.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:40 pm
Flower Girl wrote:
Now that my kids are not babies anymore I realized that it's okay to wear the same cloths two days without washing. ex: pjs do not need to be changed every night. That alone reduced laundry situation tremendously.

Yes. Very true. My rule is to wear the same pjs two nights in a row. The toddler changes nightly though.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:49 pm
I also let my kids wear the same white shirt and pants and sweater from Friday night for shabbos day. If it's not stained from grape juice. I make ds wear something to make it stay clean. Usually I'm lucky. Likewise I change other kids in shabbos robes right befor candle lighting and I let them wear it to bed and wear the next day. I save a lot of laundry just from shabbos this way.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:30 pm
Oy... the laundry...

I don't mind the sorting so much since I bought a 3 part hamper. The washing is not so bad either - the machine does most of the work hehe. The hanging up to dry and putting away drive me crazy because I never get to it.

The pile becomes an archeological dig.

White load was washed on Monday? It's below the Tuesday colored load and above the Sunday dark load. Ridiculous.

I have to figure out a system that works for me.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:37 pm
Wet clothes should be hung right away. You save yourself from having to fold and put away. It dries nicely because it's hanging and then you don't have to put in dryer and put away it's killed in 2 birds at once!

Also wet laundry if not hung to dry become smelly and moldy. Then you have an added chore to wash again and if moldy you ruin the clothes. It's really not worth it.

nursemomma

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:47 pm
I put unfolded laundry on my bed- that way, it must get done before we go to sleep, no excuses! All it takes is 15-20 min, if you fold nightly and not let it accumulate.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:00 pm
nursemomma wrote:
I put unfolded laundry on my bed- that way, it must get done before we go to sleep, no excuses! All it takes is 15-20 min, if you fold nightly and not let it accumulate.

Laundry baskets! That way I get to sleep and the pile stays unfolded.

My creativity is hard at work outsmarting these kinds of solutions.

I am my own worst enemy.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:
Laundry baskets! That way I get to sleep and the pile stays unfolded.

My creativity is hard at work outsmarting these kinds of solutions.

I am my own worst enemy.

We seem to share the same creative talents😉

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:19 pm
Yeah, it's not even a subject to discuss by me. I have k"h ENDLESS LAUNDRY. like ENDLESS. It will never finish bh. I made already peace in my mind that my laundry counter is ALWAYS full of laundry. Ok, not always full, but it's RARELY COMPLETED EMPTY.

sourstix

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:19 pm
I don't there is any wrong in this area whatever floats your boat. I just find that when the clothes sit in the hamper I never know how much clothes I have and when I need to wash. This way when I fold I know what,I have and what he don't. What's torn and needs fixing. What's stained and needs tlc and the bonus is it's there every morning, I don't have to look for anything when I'm pressed for time! I neglect my folding too and then suffer.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:24 pm
I moved a few years ago and bought new machines. I spent a little extra and bought extra capacity Whirlpool machines. It makes a huge difference. They fit an entire laundry basket in 1 load. I have a large family bh and it keeps the number of loads down, making less busy with loading and transferring etc.

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:50 am
Believe it or not I have ke"h quite a few kids already and I limit laundry washing to once a week. Only motzeh shabbos and Sunday!! Guess what... I'm not busy all week with laundry.. I don't touch laundry all week, (only severely, or accidentally). My hamper is usually overflowing by shabbos. But from all your posts I see that your hampers are in the same situation!! I have a little more clothing for each child but I feel it's worth it.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 7:25 am
OP, I have 4 kids and we do a ton of laundry. I think somewhere around 7-8 loads a week.

I am wondering if I went down to much less clothes, would I have to prioritize folding and putting it away? As it is now, doing the folding on Sundays is a HUGE chore for me.

5mom

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 7:42 am
Don't put off the folding. If you fold clothes straight out of the dryer, the job goes much more quickly. You can fold the contents of a large capacity dryer in ten minutes when the clothes are warm and fluffy.

zigi

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:11 am
I like to hang uniform shirts straight from the dryer, all button down actually. uch laundry there is always more when a kid just grows out of a size and I have double of their things, or just gets home from camp or a week when you can't do laundry
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry