Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How could it be so much?

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:55 am
2-3 times annually Dh and I estimate upcoming expenses. For example prior to a simcha, we'll list all possible expenses like clothing, extra babysitting, travel $$, hair,makeup, shoes etc. when list is complete Dh and I will go thru it, see what we can afford and what not. Decide what to eliminate...etc.

So I just made my pesach/ new baby/ summer clothing list. OMG I didn't think I'm a spender but the list is huge! I based figures on previous years expenses of pesach groceries, clothing prices, whatever. I don't buy high end things as far as clothing and shoes. I'm hiring extra household help the weeks before pesach since I'll be postpartum. That's a huge chunk of the list. Dd going to camp for first time. 2 kids are the same size so no hand me downs for them. It's just a lot once. I wish I knew how to keep costs down but everything seems really necessary. I don't know how we'll afford this...

I'd like to hear from others:

How much is typically spent for new baby? (No family help and Dh works demanding job, so I need to hire help so I can rest). Baby gear, furniture and clothing I have from previous kids.

Pesach expenses for family of 8-groceries, paper goods, meat/fish, new shoes/clothing

Summer expenses-1 kid sleep away camp, summer clothing, pool stuff, etc.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:14 am
Just a quick note, our schul has a clothing swap every year, about two months prior to Passover. Clean clothes in good condition are arranged into 'departments' and the departments are decorated with themes. It's a fun event and helps our members save some money at a time of the year when it's just flying out of our wallets. Perhaps there is something like this in your area.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:18 am
Can't speak for the other things, but I had baby nurse at 500/ week. Lived with us.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:36 am
Look around for a family with a kid a couple sizes bigger than yours and ask for their hand-me-downs.
I consider children's clothing disposable in the sense that I don't expect it to last more than one kid.
Shop in advance for clothes. Shop clearance racks throughout the year.

What can you do now to make pesach prep easier? Learn the halachos better and leave out the chumros this year. Pesach clean, not spring clean.

Aberdinah

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:58 am
Can you get clothes secondhand off ebay or equivalent? I get my kids clothes from there mostly. Not trousers though if they have non-adjustable elastic waists because they might be stretched out too much... B'shaah tova!

moonstone

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 4:08 am
Why do you need new shoes and clothes for pesach? If what they have still fits, why not just wear that?

tovli toraspicha

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 8:57 am
Everything costs and things add up very quickly. I think it's really proactive of you to go over what you need and budget for it. I find that there are so many things that people have made into necessities that it does make things more difficult for the budget. However you are ahead of the game because you are making lists and budgeting in advance! Maybe make a list of priorities and then see what fits in your budget.
I don't usually get childcare help with my newborns so don't have experience in that area, but I do usually hire around 3 hours of cleaning help a week for a few weeks after I give birth. I also will order pizza and use prepared frozen grocery items that I don't generally use often so I budget extra for that after birth. (truth is I have to budget extra for food during pregnancy because I am so sick that I cannot always be the one preparing food for my family, so I just calculate it for a few more weeks after birth as well).

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:16 am
Pesach for a family of 8 can add up quickly. Do you have all the pots/pans/necessities?
Food, matzah, wine, etc and cleaning help will probably be your biggest concern...
When it comes to clothing and shoes, if you have 6 kids it will still all add up but you can drastically cut costs if you are willing to take hand me downs from others or buy things on clearance etc.
I was calculating my budget and have no wiggle room for clothing and shoes for Pesach this year. BH I had bought a few things for literally a few dollars in last years clearance sales and just bought ballet flats from childrens place clearance for $4 each. I swallowed my pride and asked a relative what she does with the clothing of a child that is a significant number of years older than my oldest but the only of that gender in the family and she was thrilled to give some stuff away that she does not see herself using in the future. I also am making some hair accessories for my girls by myself.
I would loove to just be able to buy up to date coordinating clothing for all my kids and new leather italian shoes and gorgeous headbands BUT it does not fit in my budget so I don't do it. And at the end of the day its REALLY not important. I still like to dress my kids nicely and so I do take a little more time to put things together within what I have.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:18 am
I am going to EY just before Pesach for my stepdaughter's wedding, so I am going to get the house ready extra early.

You can, too, and then not need as much help postpartum.

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:25 am
Are there chesed girls available to help with cleaning for Pesach and watching your baby so you can get some rest?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics