Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Feel bad. But perhaps I'm doing what's right?
1  2  Next

OMG!

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:31 pm
Baby is 18 mo and only went to sleep with a bottle. Just started weaning him and by day he drinks with a sippy cup. So how's he supposed to comfort himself to sleep? I let him cry for about 5-8 min and he falls asleep. Is that the right thing to do?? So happy to get rid of all the bottles!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:33 pm
OMG! wrote:
Baby is 18 mo and only went to sleep with a bottle. Just started weaning him and by day he drinks with a sippy cup. So how's he supposed to comfort himself to sleep? I let him cry for about 5-8 min and he falls asleep. Is that the right thing to do?? So happy to get rid of all the bottles!

5-8 minutes isn't bad. If it were longer, I'd say to come in, sit next to him for a bit, etc.
As painful as this is, it's totally for his good not to go to sleep with a bottle in his mouth. You're definitely doing the right thing. Hatzlacha!

OMG!

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:35 pm
Thanks! If it does get longer I would rock him for a min and leave. How long will it take for him to go to sleep without any crying? I can't imagine him just laying down nicely and close his eyes.

cinnabuns

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:36 pm
Maybe try giving something else to help soothe? A blanket cover is helpful, tucking under the arm so it's snug.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:03 pm
OMG! wrote:
Thanks! If it does get longer I would rock him for a min and leave. How long will it take for him to go to sleep without any crying? I can't imagine him just laying down nicely and close his eyes.

You can try putting him into bed a few minutes earlier, when he's already tired but not cranky. He can play with some soft toys in bed before going to sleep and self soothe that way. (You can take the toys out once he's asleep.) My DD at nearly 4 still babbles and talks a lot to herself before she falls asleep.

5-8 minutes of crying is a form of self soothing for kids who aren't that verbal yet. Don't feel bad, you absolutely are doing the right thing!

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:07 pm
Or you can give him a pacifier.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Or you can give him a pacifier.

Is it wise to start a pacifier at 18 months?

PAMOM

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:26 pm
I used calm music on a radio and a favorite (very thin--can breathe through) blanket in the bed. We had a standard living but matter of fact bedtime routine that involved reading, rocking and singing quietly, a kiss, and a "sleep tight." It took about a week of up to 5 minute crying. Then settled to some noise but no crying, then a little babbling and sleep. Mine was the same age when I moved her to a cup (although I never put her into bed with a bottle).
You think they'll never self-soothe but most of them do. 5 minutes is fine.

Last edited by PAMOM on Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

MMCH

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:29 pm
I would not start a paci at 18 months- not worth it - plus might not work

I really dont think 5-8 minutes crying is bad- especially if he falls into a nice sleep and seems content.

does he have a blankey? a special night time thing/lovey?

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:29 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Is it wise to start a pacifier at 18 months?

NO! Don't do it!

Because then you'll be writing to us when he's 3 that you feel bad taking away his paci cuz he cries and cries.

As he adjusts, crying time should lessen and lessen till there is none. 5-8 min is not a long time. You are doing great.

Maybe My Family

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:37 pm
You are doing great ! It is for his own good and is not a long crying spell at all ... I agree that you should not introduce a pacifier

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:27 pm
I'd offer water in a cup.
If they're really thirsty they'll take it

OMG!

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:48 pm
Thanks to all replies! At one point, a couple of months ago I did try a paci but threw it down angrily. I was so desperate because he wouldn't sit quiet for one min in the car! And that's the hardest.
A blankie he also doesn't love. I just cover him with a plain good blanket but he sits up anyway and eventually lies back down, without a cover. And he sleeps with a noise machine. For now. Will hopefully stop that too when I move him into kids room.
So, thanks again everyone!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 3:55 pm
An 18 month old may not be able to communicate, but they understand a lot. I would sit with my infant until he fell asleep, reassuring him. "you are safe. We will have milk in the morning. Lets sing a little song...I love you. I don't want your teeth to get a boo boo, and milk can make teeth get boo boos. I am here. Shhhh...Good night." Then be quiet and only start reassurance if he needs it again.

lubaussie

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:32 am
OMG! wrote:

Do what you're doing consistently for a few days and I guarantee you he will.

Would you consider giving him a spill-proof sippy cup of water?

OMG!

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 6:56 pm
lubaussie wrote:

Would you consider giving him a spill-proof sippy cup of water?

Whenever I gave him he threw it down angrily, so I stopped that. Bh so far he falls alseep after just a few minutes of crying.

zelda

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:14 pm
Agree that 5-8 minutes of crying is a normal self soothing method for an 18 month old. He will likely stop soon but even if he doesn't you shouldn't feel bad. It's his way of soothing himself and it's ok. No paci, no sippy cups.... you can put a soft blanket jn but some kids connect and some don't.

tweety1

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 7:24 pm
Id start a paci. Id rather start a paci than him maybe taking a finger. 2 of dh sisters did that. One is a 10th grader today and whatever my mil has tried to do to wean my sil always outsmarted her. So I say a paci is not something you get married with a finger is! Oh and btw, I have a 7 year old who still sleeps with one and no, I have no plans of taking it away anytime soon. She will get rid of it by herself when shes ready

brklin

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:10 pm
Do not start with a paci!! You are doing an excellent job. Just continue doing what you are doing and eventually your baby will cry less and less. Good luck.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:11 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Id start a paci. Id rather start a paci than him maybe taking a finger. 2 of dh sisters did that. One is a 10th grader today and whatever my mil has tried to do to wean my sil always outsmarted her. So I say a paci is not something you get married with a finger is! Oh and btw, I have a 7 year old who still sleeps with one and no, I have no plans of taking it away anytime soon. She will get rid of it by herself when shes ready

And what do you think your child will do once you get rid of her paci at say age 10?? She will start sucking her thumb. Having a paci at age 7 is not the norm
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics