Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shabbos candles almost burned house down
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:01 pm
Something weird happened, and I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or can tell me if you think I am doing something wrong????

For shabbos, I use regular 3 hour long shabbos candles and use 2 short candlestick holders. For some reason, when the candle gets very very low and almost would go out, INSTEAD OF GOING OUT, THE FIRE GETS VERY BIG. I don't know what is "feeding the fire". Why is it not going out. This never happened before except a few weeks ago at which time, I watched the fire get big, but eventually it went out.

However, this past Friday night, the fire (when the candle was basically all gone) got very big and then started to burn the aluminum foil that I put around the candlesticks the fire got BIG AND STARTED CONSUMING THE FOIL SO I THREW WATER ON IT TO PUT IT OUT OTHERWISE IT COULD HAVE SPREAD..... CHAS V SHALOM.

I don't understand why the fire did not just go out like it did all the other friday nights. I have been lighting for years and this has been happening recently but this time it would have spread so boruch hashem, my dh noticed.

Is it the candlestick holders?? I am so confused!!

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:05 pm
Why don't you put them in the glass holders? I do, and never had such a thing

cnc

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:14 pm
I find that my fire gets bigger when the Air conditioner or heat is on.
I have a vent that blows directly near the candles .

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:34 pm
Have you you changed brands of candles recently?

How about putting the candlesticks on a metal or Pyrex tray?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:47 pm
this is the op.

thanks for the replies.

crimson, what do you mean the glass holders???? Are you referring to the holders that don't use candles but use a liquid????

I did not change brands of candles recently. Also, there is no vent blowing on it. The oven was on before shabbos, so it was hotter in the room right before shabbos and not as hot when the fire got very big.

OMG!

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:58 pm
Oy I've been having this same issue!!! Using the same brand for years. When it goes out it spreads all around the foil candle holder and then goes out. I usually stand there clutching my heart until it's over! I tell dh this should not happen and he must do everything to avoid it. We tried freezing the candles before using, my grandfather still does that, but didn't help. Now I think it got better, haven't happened in a while. But I would try glass holders with special candles that fit in the glass.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:12 pm
Glass holders for use with special short Shabbos candles: http://www.judaica.com/glass-n.....w_wcB

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:32 pm
Right, exactly what Rubber Ducky linked.

The wax melts and turns into a liquid in the glass cups. They also look prettier when burning than regular candles in foil holders imo, and don't leave a mess of wax drippings.

The candles can be 3 hour or 6 hour.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:38 pm
I stopped using glass cups when a relative's exploded. Tea lights only for me now.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
I stopped using glass cups when a relative's exploded. Tea lights only for me now.

Not sure how that's possible. You have to make sure they're positioned evenly in the center; if tilted the wick can burn the glass. That's the only problem I can think of.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 1:05 am
amother wrote:
Not sure how that's possible. You have to make sure they're positioned evenly in the center; if tilted the wick can burn the glass. That's the only problem I can think of.
Its happened to us about three times. And exactly what you said, if you dont put it exactly in the middle, straight. So I have begun to be extra careful with how I put them in, but it can happen. And it is very scary.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 7:03 am
My husband won't go to sleep until the candles are out.

But I've never had this issue. I use all tealights in glass ikea holders except for the 2 candlesticks I got at my wedding, which I use regular candles, and line the candlesticks with silver foil so they are not loose.

I don't use those glass cups since I heard they can be a safety issue.

I wish more shabbos candles would be designed to be used with tea lights.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:10 am
I had the glass holders burst always when it was a 2 day Yom Tov and the second night the candles weren't so straight because the wick from the previous night was still in the cups causing the candles to tilt slightly. The issue is not a fire, since the fire goes out instantly when the glass breaks but the concern is the flying glass that can topple over the other lecht. Since it happened so many times, I purchased a second set that I use the 2nd night of Yom Tov. Make sure your glasses are perfectly clean with wicks and dried wax removed before using !

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:48 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I had the glass holders burst always when it was a 2 day Yom Tov and the second night the candles weren't so straight because the wick from the previous night was still in the cups causing the candles to tilt slightly. The issue is not a fire, since the fire goes out instantly when the glass breaks but the concern is the flying glass that can topple over the other lecht. Since it happened so many times, I purchased a second set that I use the 2nd night of Yom Tov. Make sure your glasses are perfectly clean with wicks and dried wax removed before using !

Yes, I can see that happening. Dh said I'm allowed to remove the previous night's wicks first.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:05 am
amother wrote:
Why don't you put them in the glass holders? I do, and never had such a thing

I specifically stopped using glass holders because I had an incident once as OP describes and the glass shattered everywhere. Thankfully no fire in the house. Although some glass made it to the floor, the candle remnants remained on the silver tray.

OP, I don't know what causes that. I only had it happen once. That's why it is important to have candles on a large tray and always be vigilant. I don't think there is anything more to do.

poelmamosh

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I can see that happening. Dh said I'm allowed to remove the previous night's wicks first.

It may be a problem to remove the embedded wick on yom tov according to some poskim. But If you put a drop of water in the bottom of the cup before inserting the candle, the metal discs don't stick and can be dumped. Definitely unsafe to reuse the cup with the leftover wick stuck inside!

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:

Same here. I used glass cups with wicks or candles without any issues for about 5 years and then they started exploding. After the second glass exploded and another cracked I had enough and now we use tea lights.

Shuly

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 4:29 pm
The Neronim brand of glass cups don't explode. I've had mine for over 10 years. I bought a cheaper brand once and it exploded,
It even says on the package of Neronim that its the only brand that doesn't burst.
I see its on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Set-2-N.....lders

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 4:36 pm
Shuly wrote:
The Neronim brand of glass cups don't explode. I've had mine for over 10 years. I bought a cheaper brand once and it exploded,
It even says on the package of Neronim that its the only brand that doesn't burst.
I see its on Amazon:

Very good to know. Thank you. Maybe I'll give them a try. Certainly more attractive then the disposable foil.
Are they easy to clean out? Just hold under hot water?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 4:49 pm
Shuly wrote:
I see its on Amazon:

That's the only brand I've used! I guess that explains it, never had a problem if the candles were put in straight (14+ years)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics