Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cincinnati

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:32 pm
I need some current info. how many frum families are there. at what age are boys and girls separated? how many kids are on average per grade?do all girls stay on for high school or some leave. is there a boys high school. what is the housing market like - price range and size of houses.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:10 pm
Hi!

Frum families hard to know for sure, I'd guess between 200-250. There are about 100 in the main elementary, and there are many families with children older than elementary and a few with children younger and others who send to different schools.

In the main school, things are up in the air due to changing dynamics on the school front. This year 3rd and up is separate. But 1st grade is also separate. 2nd grade this year is combined due to numbers. I can't definitively say what will be next year in the main school, but my hunch is that the current second grade may have to be separated next year for third due to logistics of staffing, but don't hold me to that. The incoming 1st grade (current kindergarten) is large enough, but just barely, to maintain a separate class for next year, but if anyone leaves or is held back, that may change things. On the other hand, if the school finds out sooner rather than later of incoming students, that helps them decide numbers are large enough to support 2 classes. There is more change in store IY"H but nothing official yet; I hope in the next couple of months to have more information. If you want to PM me privately about the school, feel free to.
Class numbers are all over the place. E.g. 6th grade is the smallest, with 7 boys and 7 girls. But then we have 29 first graders in 2 classes. 19 second graders in 1 class. I think on average 25 in 3rd-5th, but separated classes. Some of them are skewed though. E.g. 16 5th grade girls to 8 5th grade boys.

Almost everyone, except for Lubavitch, stays for high school. The girls' high school is phenomenal, and I want to go back to school there, I'm that jealous Wink The girls may gripe though, as all high schoolers do. Some say it's too hard. Some say it's not academic enough. You can't make all girls perfectly happy, but they are happy nonetheless on a whole. It's a great environment with a very broad curriculum.

Boys high school does not exist except for the Lubavitch yeshiva.

Houses are harder to come by than they used to, but they are around, and many don't even make it to official listings to compare. I'd say the neighborhood most people buy in houses range from 180-350K with the average price being more in the 2s. Houses are usually 3-5 bedrooms, all different types of styles. Cape cods, split levels, ranches. But it's all a matter of when you're looking and what is available. B"H everyone ends up finding somewhere to live, though! There are also apartments and houses available for rent every so often.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:27 pm
just want to mention there is also a montessouri school that is preschool through 3rd grade. Currently co-ed but I think they might separate 1-3 next year but can't guarantee.

Housing is hard to come by but somehow it works out in the end. I agree with HY that many times houses don't even officially get listed online. HY was actually the one to tell us about our house which we got before it was listed.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:57 am
My husband spoke to Rabbi Kaufman (Rabbi Kaufman wanted to know if my husband knew of any jobs for someone who is thinking about moving here) and he's the person who is currently in charge of "destination Cincinnati"- He said there are houses available that he knows about but they aren't "listed" as we were saying. He'd be a good person to contact. I think you can google destination Cincinnati. Otherwise you can probably contact CZE- Congregation Zichron Eliezer where he is also the assistant rabbi.

Good luck

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:00 am
Would the upper elementary/middle school Bais Yaakov be accepting and supportive of a girl that's struggling academically and socially?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
Would the upper elementary/middle school Bais Yaakov be accepting and supportive of a girl that's struggling academically and socially?
They have a revamped student services department integrating resource room and school psychologist but services are not the same as in the NY area. You can and should speak to the school to make sure all your needs can be met. But they are very on top of what they can do to work with each student.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating