Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Is Bina Insane
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:47 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I make a faux sausage using chicken thighs sage and thyme.

How do you make that? One of my kids has been challenging me to make a homemade sausage.

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:48 pm
I love Pereg's schwarma, zaatar and Turkish coffee mixes too

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
How do you make that? One of my kids has been challenging me to make a homemade sausage.

This is not an encased sausage it is a bulk sausage. I use boneless thighs and bone out drumsticks in equal amounts. For each lb of mixed thigh and drumstick you will need 2 oz of melted chicken fat.

Grind the meat, do not use a food processor. If you have a meat grinder attachment for your stand mixer that works best.

Take the chicken fat and put it in a skillet. Add to the fat 3 tablespoons of thyme and 3 of sage for each 1lb of the meat mixture, and 1/2 tablespoon black pepper per pound. Make sure your spices are well powdered or minced if they are fresh. Heat the fat until you can smell the spices. Let the fat/spice mixture cool. Add it to the ground meat by hand making sure it is well mixed. Put in a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night, 24 hours is best.

Take out about 2oz of the meat and make a small patty and fry it. It should give off some fat. This is your tester. Adjust your spices if you think you need more. I don't add salt if you do, figure 1/8 teaspoon per 1lb of mixed meat.

A southern pal of mine helped me make this recipe and she claims it tastes like pork sausage. I use it for a cornbread stuffing entree (rather than stuffing an actual turkey with it). My kids loved it with eggs.

I also make an Italian sausage version of this as well.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:11 am
The original poster didn't say specifically that it was spices she was talking about (I don't think so at least). So it could be like everything- like parsley, butternut squash, red lentils, all the other veggies for the soup.. whatever- the point is that this is nice cold weather food. And if you don't have those exact ingredients at home you could always sub others in instead. If you would just use these as "regular" recipes and not care about the snow-bound part of it they're quite normal recipes. Personally I like Binah and I haven't really renewed hardly any of the other magazines I used to get because they're all advertisements and very short articles that are the same thing over and over. Binah actually has stuff to read in it.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
So... once we're onto exotic....
Who can help me figure out what to do with the black cumin seed I was gifted? I think it is called Ketzah in Hebrew.
They have such a strong aftertaste - are they used in food? Or is it more medicinal?

If it's what I'm thinking of, my mother calls it karnishka. (Most of the Yiddish in my vocabulary is kitchen Yiddish Smile, though this might be Hungarian? I think black cumin is also called nigella) It has a caraway-like flavor that tastes very yummy in tomato-cabbage-beef soup.

In my mind, I pair it with things that have a rye/pumpernickel-y flavor. I've used it in corned beef, beer-barley stew, cabbage noodles, etc.

Not a ton, as it's a pretty distinctive flavor, but it adds a nice depth.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:25 am
greenfire wrote:
sounds like a FUN variety ... but I must admit this is one spice I never heard of

This is my least favorite spice! I once bought it when on an onion free diet and tossed it right away. It's very strong! To each, her own 😀

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:29 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I like being adventurous with spices too. I don't have that many but I enjoy using spices like cilantro, basil, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin and cayenne pepper.

There are a few spices in my cabinet that I don't use. I'd appreciate ideas.

Sage - is it good in anything except stuffing? I don't make stuffing very often.
Rosemary and thyme - seem to stay crunchy even after cooking - am I doing it wrong?

I use sage in my butternut squash soup. It's roasted squash, carrots and sweet potato puréed with vegetable broth, sautéed onion, garlic, salt, pepper, a spoon of maple syrup, and sage. It's very good.
'
I make lamb chops with tons of garlic and rosemary.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:30 am
bigsis144 wrote:
If it's what I'm thinking of, my mother calls it karnishka. (Most of the Yiddish in my vocabulary is kitchen Yiddish Smile, though this might be Hungarian? I think black cumin is also called nigella) It has a caraway-like flavor that tastes very yummy in tomato-cabbage-beef soup.

In my mind, I pair it with things that have a rye/pumpernickel-y flavor. I've used it in corned beef, beer-barley stew, cabbage noodles, etc.

This is also good for cumin seeds: http://cooking.nytimes.com/rec.....esame

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:35 am
I like cooking with lavender. I don't think anyone mentioned that here. I like herbs de Provence on steak, potatoes, sweet potatoes

etky

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:55 am
bigsis144 wrote:

Nigella seeds (קצח) are very popular here in Israel as an alternative to poppy or sesame seeds on breads and crackers. People in this region were using Nigella at least as far back as Talmudic times.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:04 am
According to the chofetz chaim it assur what you just wrote as you will cause bina to lose business. The proper way to do it, is to email Bina and give them over the message that you feel that their articles /ingredients are not practical. Tell them how they can make it better.
I am sure if you were selling a product you wouldn't want people talking bad about it.

5mom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:08 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I like being adventurous with spices too. I don't have that many but I enjoy using spices like cilantro, basil, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin and cayenne pepper.

Sage - is it good in anything except stuffing? I don't make stuffing very often.
Rosemary and thyme - seem to stay crunchy even after cooking - am I doing it wrong?

Sage is wonderful with beans of any kind, in pea soup, on lamb, and in Scarborough Fair chicken (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme).

Fresh rosemary stays crunchy for me too unless cooked for a long time in soup.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:47 am
tichellady wrote:
I like cooking with lavender. I don't think anyone mentioned that here. I like herbs de Provence on steak, potatoes, sweet potatoes

Lavender goes great with lamb.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:48 am
amother wrote:
According to the chofetz chaim it assur what you just wrote as you will cause bina to lose business. The proper way to do it, is to email Bina and give them over the message that you feel that their articles /ingredients are not practical. Tell them how they can make it better.
I am sure if you were selling a product you wouldn't want people talking bad about it.

To whom are you addressing that comment?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:29 am
poelmamosh wrote:
I love Pereg's schwarma, zaatar and Turkish coffee mixes too

A bit off topic, but we're off topic anyway - Pereg's olive oil is the best ever in salads!!! It's expensive and hard to find, but so worth it! It really makes a differance in food.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:51 am
tichellady wrote:

I love herbs de Provence! I use it most often when I roast carrots (the large loose ones) and parsnips with some olive oil and S&P. Yum!

I thought I had an exotic spice and vinegar collection but some of you put me to shame!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:04 am
gp2.0 wrote:

All three go together with parsley Wink (ETA: I just got to p. 4 and see 5mom's reference to Scarborough Fair chicken.)
Put the sage on the poultry itself. Ditto for rosemary and thyme. I've made potatoes with the last 2.
As far as the crunch, I know what you mean re the thyme. I wonder if a mortar and pestle might help.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:09 am
amother wrote:

What about a thread saying that some of the magazines don't seem to be printing recipes accessible to a lay cook? Then we could have a conversation about how boring/adventurous we are in the kitchen. Which it seems this thread has evolved into.

Don't get me wrong, you're absolutely right as far as the care we have to take when we talk about things, but I think that it's blown over. (And at this point Binah might not mind the publicity. Which shouldn't be a factor in deciding to say l"h about a book, person, publication, but might work at this point in the thread.)

nylon

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:21 am
There are two spices called black cumin. One is nigella--small triangular seeds. These are the seeds you put on naan bread, or that Bengalis use in their basic mix panch phoron.

The other is a variety of cumin called shahi jeera or kala jeera in Hindi. They look like extra long, black cumin seeds. They're used for rice, and in spice mixes. They smell very pungent straight but the flavor changes when they're toasted.

For whole spices, I buy mine in packets from Indian and Middle Eastern stores since you don't need a hechsher. It's much cheaper. Kalustyan's in Manhattan is one of my favorite stores of all time. Then I can replace them frequently. I use the 4oz and 8oz Ball jars with lids to store my spices.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:28 am
Am I the only person who thinks thyme tastes of mould? Both me and my husband don't like the taste, so I always skip it and replace with an italian herb blend.

Wow, you all have sophisticated spice cupboards. I have a fair amount of spices but nothing like some of you.

I use a lot of cumin and turmeric and curry powder. Also love the pereg shwarma mix.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room