Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Where do you hang family portraits and do you update?

baltomom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:37 am
I recently did some painting and need to hang up lots of family and kid portraits. I came up with an arrangement of portraits to hang--but I know that iy"H next year and I'll have a new updated portrait, and then where will I hang that one?

Can you please share ideas of what you do (or what you've seen others do) regarding displaying/hanging family portraits and photos, especially as a family grows and you'd like to display the older ones but also the new ones?

Thanks!

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:42 am
I keep adding photos to my house, they are all over. kitchen, bedrooms, hallways and dining room. I'm sure eventually I'll take some really old ones down but for now I don't need to yet.
it's up to you. if you want 20 year old photos on your wall, by all means, please do that. if you want to keep updating you can do that too. I made a loose-leaf where I keep all the spare professional pictures in sheet protectors, that only works if you don't plaque and what-not

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:32 am
For yearly pictures, like a class picture or family picture, I put one in front of the other, so you only see the most recent and they're hanging in my dining room. For all others, I update once in awhile or add more pictures, but not on the wall, just standing on a shelf.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:17 pm
I've seen families hang yearly portraits along a hallway or staircase, and I think it's really beautiful - they keep adding to the end and as you walk up the stairs you "watch" the family grow.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:31 pm
I have a few walls that use for family portraits. When we take news ones we usually replace the oldest one and hang it in the playroom. I love seeing my kids on the walls and the older pictures especially give such fond memories.

queenert

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:09 pm
Yeah, I've seen a lot of hallway/staircase timelines in older families' homes.
I want to take that idea and when I run out of room put the old ones in the kids' rooms like gray mentioned.
So a combo...

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:14 pm
I've heard of a "rule" (I think etiquette) to keep family photos for a place where only family/friends would be, not just random guests. This would include a den (vs living/dining room) and the staircase, and anywhere upstairs.
I am also painting soon iy"H and plan to hang photos in the playroom/den, nursery upstairs, and staircase leading to second floor. I will probably change/update some photos as collection grows iy"H. I would want a nice amount, but I wouldn't want to clutter my walls with photos, no matter how cute they are.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:38 am
yo'ma wrote:
For yearly pictures, like a class picture or family picture, I put one in front of the other, so you only see the most recent and they're hanging in my dining room. For all others, I update once in awhile or add more pictures, but not on the wall, just standing on a shelf.

As a side note, I have very little wall space and even less shelf space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics