Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Bizarre Rules
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:24 am
was this mentioned here yet??

not looking at the moon.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:27 am
Pulling the left ear lobe upward after sneezing. No one has mentioned this; I hope it is not so unusual and does not out me.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
~ Another segula for parnassah: my father would scoop up all the challah crumbs from the table (after cuttting the challa) with a spoon and eat it.

I have a relative who does this and it nauseates me. I find it to be such a rude thing to do at the table.

abound

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:54 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Pulling the left ear lobe upward after sneezing. No one has mentioned this; I hope it is not so unusual and does not out me.

Its a segula for a long life. My kids do it.

kenz

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:13 pm
Not only do I have 2 ketchup bottles in my fridge at all times, I also have 2 mayonnaise jars due to kashrus concerns. Each is clearly marked. I don't see what's strange about it at all. You're eventually going to use up the same amount of ketchup, instead of using one and then starting another sooner, you have 2 in the fridge for a longer amount of time.
Most people I know do the "no stepping over someone" thing, even if they laugh while saying "walk back, walk back..."
I am a serious offender when it comes to walking around without shoes - they come off my feet as soon as I walk in the door. My grandfather felt so strongly about the no walking around in socks rule due to aveilus that whenever he visited we all had to run and find our shoes because otherwise we are always shoeless. I wish I could be more sensitive to it but I just like being shoeless too much.
We also have the no cutting strings on a person rule.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:24 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

From Romania:
https://europeisnotdead.com/di.....ions/
Quote:
A red string or a red bracelet is usually placed on a newborns wrist in order to protect them from being cursed.

This link also mentioned blowing out a candle brings bad luck. I also learned you shouldn't blow out a flame, but shake it instead. (Because the neshama is compared to a flame, and Hashem blew the neshama into Adam...??)

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
This link also mentioned blowing out a candle brings bad luck. I also learned you shouldn't blow out a flame, but shake it instead. (Because the neshama is compared to a flame, and Hashem blew the neshama into Adam...??)

Yeah that's familiar too. People shake a match or say a word like PEHsach or PUHrim so they're not really "blowing out" the candle.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:31 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Yeah that's familiar too. People shake a match or say a word like PEHsach or PUHrim so they're not really "blowing out" the candle.

I know people don't blow out candles and matches but what with the Pesach and Purim??

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:42 pm
cnc wrote:
I know people don't blow out candles and matches but what with the Pesach and Purim??

Lol. When they say that with emphasis on the PUH they're basically puffing air at the candle and it goes out. But they didn't blow it out! All they did was say Purim!

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:43 pm
abound wrote:
Its a segula for a long life. My kids do it.

WHY?

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:54 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
WHY?

if I remember correctly before the mabul people used to sneeze and pass away so when we sneeze bh we know that it is just a sneeze

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:03 pm
This is bringing back lots of memories, my parents were very superstitious and had most of these customs and segulos.

I was very uncooperative. I always told them I thought it was nonsense and between the sheidim, lilith, klipos, etc., sounded like a pagan religion that had different gods they were always trying to appease.

I definitely am not passing these things on to the next generation.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:22 pm
zigi wrote:
if I remember correctly before the mabul people used to sneeze and pass away so when we sneeze bh we know that it is just a sneeze

I believe it was up to yaakov.
And that's why when someone sneezes we say bless you.
Never heard of pulling on the earlobe.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:40 pm
zigi wrote:

I never heard of this, lol. What is the source?

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
Many bizarre rules that I'm sure are based on some kind of obscure mekor but who knows what's valid and what not:

~ Olives can only be eaten in olive oil (there was a thread on this already because of kashe l'shikcha)

~ At shabbas meal, only grape juice until after the fish. Then you gotta eat something and drink grape juice (Kinu'ach v'hadacha) and then you can continue with chicken soup. Whenever I asked about the no water during fish rule I was told cuz the fish will swim in your stomach. Later on I heard but haven't seen a source that it's one of the things the rambam says is a sakana.

~ We can only drink orange juice once a day.

~ No dips at the shabbas table. Later on this became only home-made dips at the shabbas table.

~ No lunch on friday. if you're hungry you eat potato kugel and ferfel.

~ No cutting nails on thursday because they start growing on the third day and by cutting on thursday you're causing them to start growing on shabbas.

~ After cutting fingernails (and not toenails) into a tissue, my mother would rip off two ends of the tissue and roll it up together with the nails. She did this because her grandmother did it so that the two pieces of tissues should serve as eidim (witnesses) that the hands of these nails never stole anything.

~ The white shabbas tablecloth stays on the table until sunday morning because it's a segula for parnassa.

~ Another segula for parnassah: my father would scoop up all the challah crumbs from the table (after cuttting the challa) with a spoon and eat it.

~ after washing negel vasser we had to dip our fingers into the washing cup and use that water to wipe our eyes.

I'm sure I'll think of many more as the thread continues.

this is straight up shulchan aruch. (the crumbs thing is from the gemara which says someone who does not throw out crumbs will be wealthy and brings a story) negel vasser thing is bc you're supposed to wash your eyes and face right away

when I was engaged my mother whipped out the superstitions and made me put my thumb in between pointer and middle finger and say "gey feigen" (which I later found out from russians means f off lollll) to avoid ayin hara Rolling Eyes she also made me a wear a red string which is sooo not our thing. I laughed at her but did it to keep her happy but honestly thought it was ridiculous.

however I'm really surprised at a lot of things mentioned here - a lot is kabbalah or shulchan aruch, not just superstition. and quotes from wikipedia don't disprove anything, they could have gotten it from the jews just like the jews could have gotten it from them. not buying baby items is really well-known to avoid ayin hara.

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
I never heard of this, lol. What is the source?

midrash

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:59 pm
trixx wrote:
not buying baby items is really well-known to avoid ayin hara.

This one actually makes sense to me. My sister's first child was stillborn, and having all the baby stuff around was AWFUL. Packing it up nearly broke her. Crying When infant mortality rates are high, I can certainly imagine this becoming a societal norm.

My daughter is adopted. Before we could be approved, the agency wanted to see a fully set up nursery, toys, clothes, diapers, etc. Not knowing if the adoption was going to go through, and knowing that even if it did, the birth mother had 6 months after delivery to change her mind - well, you can imagine how nerve wracking that was.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
lol. I did this too.

Me too. I hated chewing thread, it made the last minute mending so much harder.

happy12

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:55 pm
poelmamosh wrote:
Some of these seem over top, but to explain the bolded (we grew up with the same):
Wise chips were not bishul yisroel, which some are makpid about wrt to potato chips (corn products and Pringles were fine though). Paskesz candy made in Europe uses some colorings extracted from insects. The Rav hamachshir considers them kosher, the source of gelatins are also not so strict. I'm sorry no one explained this to you growing up.
We've had some ultra-religious guests from Israel over the years. The only American hechsher they'd eat was Liebers (Rabbi Weissmandl)

By the way, Leiber's potato chips are made by wise. When you buys case it comes in the wise company box.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:11 pm
happy12 wrote:
By the way, Leiber's potato chips are made by wise. When you buys case it comes in the wise company box.

It is a separate run with a Mashgiach turning on the fire.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics