Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I can't pinpoint what my daughter's issue is
1  2  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:44 pm
Hi, maybe someone here can help me figure out if there is something off with my 5 year old daughter, or if these things are typical of the average 5 year old. I will give a few examples of things that she has said that make me worry...
1) she was trying to describe something and said "it was gray... Actually, no it was um um what's that color similar to black?" I asked her if she means brown and she said " ooooh ya that's what color it was". It surprised me that she couldn't remember the word for brown...
2) she was telling me that the way she had said something sounded like shoshi. I knew who she meant, but I asked her who is shoshi. She answered," she's Morah chani's sister!". Shoshi is actually Morah chani's daughter. When I asked her if she means daughter, she said "no, she's her sister because she's big" I tried explaining to her the difference, but it seemed to go over her head...

Any thoughts, suggestions, insight... I'm trying to figure out if these are typical for her age , or if maybe she has some kind of issue. TIA

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:50 pm
Sounds normal to me (I worked several summers as a day camp counselor for girls)

5 year olds are really cute! Don't stress over the things they say. Your daughter sounds adorable.

newface34

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:52 pm
She's fine!! I still sometimes forget words and I'm definitely old server than 5 lol.

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:06 am
Ask the teacher if she notices anything about your daughter's language as compared to the rest of the kids in the class.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:52 am
Children have a hard time with the concept of daughter, son, husband, wife, ... its not part of their world...
My parents worked in a boys camp for many summers. My mother couldnt stand when she would get a messsge from my father through one of the campers that were much older than your dauther is that 'your father said...' meaning her husband. My father

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:47 am
Not a big deal.

Enjoy her!

Before you know it, she'll be a teen, shaking her head and rolling her eyes over all the things YOU get wrong.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:58 am
Not a big deal at all. Most five year olds don't fully understand relationships. My five year old still thinks he's going to marry me when grows up LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:17 am
Another vote for "normal". Kids can be amazingly bright at that age, and then confuse you when they don't get something that you think is really obvious. That's part of what makes them so funny and adorable! Very Happy

wondergirl

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:19 am
What you are describing are actually symptomatic of ADD, Inattentive type but she is only 5 and probably hasn't started "real" school yet--as in taking tests so there is no way to tell if this is a a real problem or not. If you are really concerned abut it, you can get her tested now or you can wait til she starts first grade and see if she has trouble with memory recall or focusing in school and get her tested then.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:49 am
DS5 thinks DS5months is his son. Sounds normal to me.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:12 am
wondergirl wrote:
What you are describing are actually symptomatic of ADD, Inattentive type but she is only 5 and probably hasn't started "real" school yet--as in taking tests so there is no way to tell if this is a a real problem or not. If you are really concerned abut it, you can get her tested now or you can wait til she starts first grade and see if she has trouble with memory recall or focusing in school and get her tested then.

My now 5 year old was diagnosed with inattentive ADD and also ASD about a year ago. Aside from the fact that it absolutely can be diagnosed this young (though medication is not recommended until older) none of what the op mentions has anything to do with it, and my son has a ton of services, if it was concerning, I'd have heard about it. Most 5 year olds are confused about relationships. What makes a spouse vs a sibling? Or sibling vs child? It seems intuitive but if you think like a small child, it really isn't. It gets even tougher with extended family like uncles and aunts. Many languages have different words to describe uncle who parent's sibling vs uncle who is married to parent's sibling. English does not make such distinctions so it can be tough to grasp.

enter

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:22 am
I second the vote to ask her teacher how she's doing at school compared to her classmates. You've only shared here a couple examples, but perhaps you have more examples that you aren't sharing, causing your concern. Both these isolated incidents do sound normal, but do check for the bigger picture. Checking out the bigger picture includes taking into consideration - are you the type to worry about everything? Is she your first? Or, is something else going on here?

*From a Past Morah of 5yr olds

Laiya

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:28 am
Those two examples sound normal, but difficulty with word recall CAN be a symptom of dyslexia.

Is she able to match sounds to letters? How is she with rhyming?

fbc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:41 am
You could totally ask around more but I think it's normal.,I taught 5 yr old girls, and when I got married they always wanted to see pictures of me with my new Totty Wink like a poster above said,sometimes these concepts are hard to get at their age! And regarding colors, there are so many, it could b confusing! As long as she doesn't confuse the simpler colors on a regular basis, I think you needn't worry. Enjoy her!!

myym

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:20 am
I agree with the posters who said to ask her teacher. You only shared 2 examples, the relationship one doesn't concern me, but if she regularly forgets words that might be an auditory processing disorder.
Ask how she is in school.
You can also post more examples

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:25 am
If it is an ongoing issue with lots of examples throughout the day that she isn't understanding or communicating accurate information, get an evaluation with someone that diagnoses earning disabilities. (And speak to the teacher as well). She may be perfectly fine. My 5 year old wouldn't make those types of mistakes. but then again, he has exceptionally good language skills. Some kids need early intervention to help them with language-it is not a lifelong disability, it is just a little extra help for a few months.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:03 pm
It sounds to me like a simple problem with Word Retrieval (I really don't think it's anythign as dramatic as ADD, dyselxia, autism, etc.). My daughter had some of this too at age 3, and we had her evaluated by a speech therapist and they told us that if it continues past age 4, then she should go for some speech therapy.

Problems with word retrieval include not being able to remember simple words which are in your vocabulary, and it's often noticed in talking around the word you're looking for, extra hand gesturing while explaining things, feeling like the word is on the tip of your tongue, identifying the word your looking for if someone else says it, using a similar but incorrect word, etc.

It's really not such a big deal, but it's something that can last throughout your lifetime, it's not something you just grow out of, and a little speech therapy can go a long way in getting past it.

I highly recommend that you take her for an evaluation with a speech therapist. Could be nothing, but if it's something, you really want to take care of it before she starts grade school.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:06 pm
Thank you everyone for your answers! I really appreciate it.
The two examples I gave actually just happened yesterday, so those were the ones I remembered off hand. Sometimes she seems so smart and other times she comes across as "huh"?
I really don't think it's ADD , since she always seems focused and on task.
As for the other suggestions, I don't know how to quote previous posts... And how can I see the previous posts while typing a response?
To the posters that mentioned auditory processing, she does know her letters and sounds and is good with rhyming. However, there are a few letters that she often substitutes with others. For example, she often replaces her g with d, like she pronounces "go" as "do" even though she is able to say the g sound. I also noticed that she gets many words in songs wrong ( more than the typical child).
By now, she knows all her aleph bais and sounds, but at the beginning of the year, she would often go through the whole aleph bais in her head In order to remember the name of a letter. There could have been that letter a few lines later, and she'd repeat aleph bais again, because she forgot it.
To the poster that mentioned retrieval issue, that sounds like it might be the issue. I'm in Brooklyn, how do I go about having her evaluated?
I constantly feel like there is something a little off, but her teachers until now have said she's fine, she's fine, dont worry... However, they said she is quiet and doesn't often offer answers. So Im Thinking that behaviorally, she is perfectly fine , she must be a teachers dream actually, since she does what she is supposed to do and is a happy go lucky kind of kid. But maybe the teachers don't notice if there is a cognitive issue, because they don't hear her much. I am a worrier in general....

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:32 pm
Yes, I think a speech language evaluation would be a great idea. I am an SLP.

Perhaps call some of the therapists and see if they accept your insurance? You can post here for suggestions of therapists who worked well with that age child on language skills.

Hatzlacha

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:

I constantly feel like there is something a little off, but her teachers until now have said she's fine, she's fine, dont worry... However, they said she is quiet and doesn't often offer answers. So Im Thinking that behaviorally, she is perfectly fine , she must be a teachers dream actually, since she does what she is supposed to do and is a happy go lucky kind of kid. But maybe the teachers don't notice if there is a cognitive issue, because they don't hear her much. I am a worrier in general....

You constantly worry - trust your instincts! There might be something there, and an evaluation won't hurt. If anything, it will make you feel better.

Quiet, well behaved kids are always the ones that fall behind. Yes, teacher love them, but then they are more likely to get overlooked if there is a problem. The kid who is running around the classroom during reading time is the one who will get all the services.

It may be nothing, or it may be something easily fixable. Even if it's something bigger, the more you know, the better you'll be able to give her a great start in life.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics