Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I am opening up a 18-24 months playgroup. Tips?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:20 am
I would love it if any playgroup morahs could respond awith tips and ideas for me to institute in my new playgroup!
TIA!

besty

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:12 am
im not a morah but a mother of a 17 month old daughter and one tip that I see I really appreciate with my babysitter probably applies to a playgroup morah to I had one babysitter that was so friendly greeted my child so nice every morning it made me fee so at ease even though she wasn't the cleanest and whatever.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:22 am
I talked to a play group morah about sending my son at this age and what I loved was her attitude. She said that in the beginning of the year they start as babies and her style is more similar to babysitting. She puts out paper and glue and they tear it and try and eat it but by the end of the year she does some davening, a short circle time etc a simple craft. Really understanding that that age is very little and treating the kids appropriately is so important. The bad thing was that she had 8 toddlers and no assistant. That made me super anxious.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:36 am
1. Have a chart system for each child with a space for filling in what time he/she ate and what was eaten, what time to what time he/she napped, and how many/what time diapers were changed. Have a fresh chart to fill in for each child through the day, and give it to the parent at pick up.

2. Treat each child with hygiene care like your own - wipe noses constantly, clean faces and hands, straighten clothing, change dirty diapers immediately, and have a scheduled time for each child for wet diapers. Be ready to bathe a child if he/she needs it, for example, when changing a child with a bad diaper rash.

3. Make a Seder for the day that is toddler appropriate, babies as young as 15 months love order and routine, and knowing what to expect.

4. Have several "stations" in your playgroup area: an eating station with several highchairs, a gross motor station with toys like slides and little tykes cars, a fine motor station with puzzles and crayons and paper, a dramatic play station with a toy kitchen, toy food, toy strollers, and dolls, etc. This way you can create a cycle for the kids with one or two in each station at time, eliminating fighting.

5. Be warm and understanding toward the child and parents, they will really feel it, and you will develop a good reputation that way. Always greet with joy and a smile and part with a compliment about the child!

6. Most importantly: limit your daycare size to only what you can really handle! These are precious neshamos entrusted to you, it will get challenging, but remind yourself it's spiritual work every day!

Hatzlacha!

artz

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:29 am
I am a playgroup morah in the summer all these things that navy is saying is very nice but not always can be done
1 you need the space to set up your room that way
2 if you are by yourself and its very busy you cant be writing what everyone is doing
try to remember at the end of the day something nice that each kid did
I usually take out 2 toys for them to play with. this way its not such a big mess
I also try to have my day very structured so that they are kept busy the whole day

artz

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:30 am
you can pm if you want more ideas

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:34 am
As a mother I appreciated when my child came home with a form that stated what they eat for lunch, how long they slept and how their general mood was. It was a typed up form and all the teacher had to do was fill in the blanks ..

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:44 am
Exactly, it's a typed spreadsheet, with categories: nap, lunch, snacks, wet diapers, dirty diapers. All you have to do is quickly jot in the times on the child's chart. Parents need to know this info, and the chart system is easier than trying to remember everything at the end of the day!

Also, if you have your basement set up for your playgroup, it is actually the easiest to set it up in stations, it really eliminates a lot of squabbling.

But I'm sure there's tons of great Morahs who do it other ways!

sky

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:46 am
I once sent to a licensed place and they sent home a printed form that stated eating, diaper, napping info.
Personally I didn't like it. I tend to send to a small warm babysitter, and I felt the printed paper was so cold. If you can't remember what the child did, or there are so many people involved then something should have to change. I liked having a warm loving personal updated by the morah when I picked up - but that is just me.

(I've never sent younger then 24 months to a playgroup but will be doing it next year, I think babies that age need just lots of love and unstructured play, nap and eating time and flexibility, like a mommy at home- that is why I always sent my kids to a babysitter until that age in the past)

To me lots of love is important. Personal comments about milestones and growth and about cute things done that day. when baby isn't feeling well or absent calling to check up and showing that you care.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:48 am
sky wrote:
I once sent to a licensed place and they sent home a printed form that stated eating, diaper, napping info.
Personally I didn't like it. I tend to send to a small warm babysitter, and I felt the printed paper was so cold. If you can't remember what the child did, or there are so many people involved then something should have to change. I liked having a warm loving personal updated by the morah when I picked up - but that is just me.

My child was sent home on a van so I didn't always speak directly to the Morah.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:50 am
Are you planning to do half a day or full day? Play groups where I live are typically 9-1 so naps and more then one diaper change are unlikely. There would be a snack and lunch.

summer0808

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:53 am
Or if the fathers pick up they really dont ask. even though it's cold I'd love to know the details. But few morahs do it. Some babysitters do.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
1. Have a chart system for each child with a space for filling in what time he/she ate and what was eaten, what time to what time he/she napped, and how many/what time diapers were changed. Have a fresh chart to fill in for each child through the day, and give it to the parent at pick up.

2. Treat each child with hygiene care like your own - wipe noses constantly, clean faces and hands, straighten clothing, change dirty diapers immediately, and have a scheduled time for each child for wet diapers. Be ready to bathe a child if he/she needs it, for example, when changing a child with a bad diaper rash.

3. Make a Seder for the day that is toddler appropriate, babies as young as 15 months love order and routine, and knowing what to expect.

4. Have several "stations" in your playgroup area: an eating station with several highchairs, a gross motor station with toys like slides and little tykes cars, a fine motor station with puzzles and crayons and paper, a dramatic play station with a toy kitchen, toy food, toy strollers, and dolls, etc. This way you can create a cycle for the kids with one or two in each station at time, eliminating fighting.

5. Be warm and understanding toward the child and parents, they will really feel it, and you will develop a good reputation that way. Always greet with joy and a smile and part with a compliment about the child!

6. Most importantly: limit your daycare size to only what you can really handle! These are precious neshamos entrusted to you, it will get challenging, but remind yourself it's spiritual work every day!

Hatzlacha!

I love this list- thanks! I will b e doing full day- catering to working mothers... I am coming from working in an office and I sent my kids out until now and I know how important those notes are to as a mother so I will def be doing my best to have those!

any tips on getting the kids onto the schedule? I will be doing it with another Morah so there will be around 16-18 kids...

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:55 am
I found the opposite to Summer. DH would pick up when my son was in a 3 year old class and the Morah would tell him to have me call her. By that point it was a wasted conversation because it was too many hours after the incident.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:05 pm
I didn't realize your program would be so large! 16 children and two Morahs means eight children per Morah...I'm concerned, OP, about every child getting what he/she needs. Remember that even with structure and a schedule, toddlers that age will have accidents that require baths, cranky/sick periods when they will need to be held and rocked on the couch, and big spills to clean. Some may have a more aggressive nature and require extra concern and TLC so they don't hurt the others...you see what I'm getting at? I am worried you may be quickly overwhelmed with such a big group. Do you have a large enough space? Can you divide the children into 2 rooms and hire an aid for each of you? From my experience, over 5/6 babies should have two caregivers....

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
I love this list- thanks! I will b e doing full day- catering to working mothers... I am coming from working in an office and I sent my kids out until now and I know how important those notes are to as a mother so I will def be doing my best to have those!

any tips on getting the kids onto the schedule? I will be doing it with another Morah so there will be around 16-18 kids...

2 adults to 16-18 toddlers is NOT sufficient.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:07 pm
from the research I have done that is the norm...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
from the research I have done that is the norm...

Yes, its a lot of kids but pretty standard.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:11 pm
I would really reconsider. I am very laid back and that would be a huge red flag for me. My son in his pre nursery year (3 turning 4) had a class of 22 with two teachers and I really did not like it. All the more so a toddler.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I will be doing it with another Morah so there will be around 16-18 kids...

If you are in New York (just guessing) you will be out of compliance: https://daycare.com/newyork/ne......html
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics