Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I am opening up a 18-24 months playgroup. Tips?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:24 pm
any more tips?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:41 pm
Op, think for a moment about a playgroup from the eyes of a toddler. A toddler is still learning about the world through his five senses, predominantly touch. How can a toddler possibly get to all the toys and games and gross motor equipment he needs to touch and experience, in such a large group? Remember also that a toddler is mostly non verbal, which means he'll be dropped off each day in a crowded noisy room without being able to express his feelings or needs. A toddler needs the adults in his day to pay attention to his needs because he has no words. He won't be able to depend on you to figure out what his needs are, because your attention will be too divided. Doesn't that sound a little scary, from an 18 - 24 month old perspective?

In my community such a large group of toddlers with 2 caregivers is not the norm, so I can't really continue to advise you. Perhaps change your post to ask for advice specifically from Morahs in your community? Hatzlacha!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:46 pm
Current playgroup morah here..

Choose a routine and stick to it.
Label everything
Have a change of clothes for each child.
Obviously diapers and wipes, we ask parents to replenish a few days before we're totally out so they have a few day leeway.
Sipi cups instead of regular cups so less spills to clean up
Hooks for coats and bags were a lifesaver
All sorts of toys for all sorts of play- imaginary, sensory, gross motor, fine motor.
I have taught 14 with one assistant and it's chaos, 12 is the perfect number for 2morahs
Make policies and try to stick to them. We ask parents not to come after 1045. If they come after that, by the time it's nap time, they haven't settled in yet. We are also strict on pickup, if they are late, they pay an extra fee. Same with payment, if late, they pay an extra fee.
Keep lots of tissues and paper towel in stock
Try and find a more natural cleaning spray for the table
Keep washing hands all day to cut down on colds and viruses. Keep a window open in the winter to keep the air circulating.

If you are opening for the first time next year, find a playgroup that you can work in to get an idea of what it's like.. it sounds easy but takes a certain personality to run a group without burning out.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
Current playgroup morah here..

Choose a routine and stick to it.
Label everything
Have a change of clothes for each child.
Obviously diapers and wipes, we ask parents to replenish a few days before we're totally out so they have a few day leeway.
Sipi cups instead of regular cups so less spills to clean up
Hooks for coats and bags were a lifesaver
All sorts of toys for all sorts of play- imaginary, sensory, gross motor, fine motor.
I have taught 14 with one assistant and it's chaos, 12 is the perfect number for 2morahs
Make policies and try to stick to them. We ask parents not to come after 1045. If they come after that, by the time it's nap time, they haven't settled in yet. We are also strict on pickup, if they are late, they pay an extra fee. Same with payment, if late, they pay an extra fee.
Keep lots of tissues and paper towel in stock
Try and find a more natural cleaning spray for the table
Keep washing hands all day to cut down on colds and viruses. Keep a window open in the winter to keep the air circulating.

If you are opening for the first time next year, find a playgroup that you can work in to get an idea of what it's like.. it sounds easy but takes a certain personality to run a group without burning out.

how is it possible to make a profit from 12 kids? and we will be 2 full time morahs not a morah and assistant...

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:08 pm
cm wrote:
If you are in New York (just guessing) you will be out of compliance: https://daycare.com/newyork/ne......html

What she said. 18 to 36 months, 1:5 ratio, maximum of 12 kids in class.

http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/childc.....s.pdf

Other things you need to consider:

What provisions will be in place if you are the other Morah are unavailable, due to illness or otherwise.

Will you be open chol hamoed / your kids' vacations. Working parents will need that.

What is your policy on sick kids? Vaccination? Will other people be on premises (particularly if its in your home, your kids/ their friends/workers). What insurance do you have? What are your emergency plans if a child is hurt or ill. Where will you feed the toddlers? Where will you change them? Where will they nap?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
how is it possible to make a profit from 12 kids? and we will be 2 full time morahs not a morah and assistant...

Its the law. Sorry.

My kids weren't in daycare, but they did attend nursery school. 12 kids in a class, 2 teachers. Well, one was called the "assistant," but she had a degree in early childhood education, and was in her late 20s or early 30s. The school has existed for at least 25 years at this point, so I guess its possible.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:

With the initial outlay for supplies and building up your business, the first year may be a loss (true for many small businesses).

Child care workers, including independent owners, generally don't earn a lot, at least in the US.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:28 pm
ok thanks.
so aside for the amount of children- does anyone else have any tips for me?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
from the research I have done that is the norm...

welcome to lakewood LOL

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:54 pm
make a whatsapp group for parents and share pictures daily

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:18 pm
any tips for the beginning of the year? like easing into routine?

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its the law. Sorry.

My kids weren't in daycare, but they did attend nursery school. 12 kids in a class, 2 teachers. Well, one was called the "assistant," but she had a degree in early childhood education, and was in her late 20s or early 30s. The school has existed for at least 25 years at this point, so I guess its possible.

I'm curious what the tuition was. Do you mind sharing?

I think 12 kids and 2 staff members is ideal. But I have seen many groups go up to 15 for 2 year olds, and up to 18 for 3 year olds, with the same 2 staff members. I'm assuming the tuition is lower as a result? Just musing.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
from the research I have done that is the norm...

The norm for the heimishe, unlicensed places in Lakewood, Monsey, and BP...

I dont think I would send my child to such a place.

I live oot, and do babysitting, and I never take more than 5 kids.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:25 pm
Gold, my oldest went to a two year old home based group that had 12 kids the morah and her assistant. It was $290 a month from 9-1. The next year he had 22 kids a morah and assistant and the tuition was $280 also 9-1.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:30 pm
also, if anyone can tell me what toys are important to have?

artz

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:50 pm
building toys, ( lego, blocks, magna-tiles, bristle block) imagination play (dishes, dolls, play food) dress-up, cars, trucks, people, animals, books

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I talked to a play group morah about sending my son at this age and what I loved was her attitude. She said that in the beginning of the year they start as babies and her style is more similar to babysitting. She puts out paper and glue and they tear it and try and eat it but by the end of the year she does some davening, a short circle time etc a simple craft. Really understanding that that age is very little and treating the kids appropriately is so important. The bad thing was that she had 8 toddlers and no assistant. That made me super anxious.

I so agree with this. Please see them as babies at this age. They really do not need major structure or expectations of their day. The warmth and nurturing and emotional connection is much more valuable at this age than projects or circle times. I wud try to recreate a warm homey setting as much as possible in the setting you have rather than make it a structured playgroup.

Just my two cent. I am in the field of early childhood education for years and I really believe that until 3 the comfort and emotional stability is the most important thing, and that educational things are really second (unless in a casebook of delays whee more aggressive teaching is needed)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:42 pm
What state are you in?

Definitely do a transition schedule at the beginning of the year to ease everyone into the idea that mommy leaves and comes back.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:15 pm
Structure in a playgroup setting is different than a babysitter in the way it's meant to transition into kindergarten. So there is a time to eat, a time to play, a time to sleep. Babysitters do it on the kids schedule, in playgroup everyone does the same thing at the same time.

Do you have teaching experience? Have you ever worked or subbed in a playgroup?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:30 pm
I really agree with everything navy posted. Realize that your watching babies who need a mommy like figure! Trying to impose a "school" expectation on them isnt fair and not age appropriate. Maybe learn about development for that age group. Definitely no more then 5 kids to a morah, and even that isnt ideal. Shower them with loads of love and be attentive to their physical needs...Hatzlacha! Signed A morah Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics