Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Parve Dishes
Previous  1  2

Do you own parve dishes?
No  
 73%  [ 97 ]
Yes, and I am not a vegan  
 17%  [ 23 ]
Yes, and I am a vegan (so all dishes are parve)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other  
 9%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 132

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:05 am
You don't get fleishig or milchig by eating pareve food off fleishig or milchig plates. Seems pointless to me but maybe they don't know the halacha.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:16 pm
greenfire wrote:
and if you're vegan I assure you would only need the one set ... nothing dead or animal related coming into your kitchen soon not even pareve honey [unless you sneak in a yogurt & eat it with a plastic spoon in a corner Wink ]

I consider only needing one set of everything to be a huge advantage of being even just a vegetarian. I love not having to worry about keeping things separate or finding space to store duplicates.

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:26 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I consider only needing one set of everything to be a huge advantage of being even just a vegetarian. I love not having to worry about keeping things separate or finding space to store duplicates.

ChallahChallah - you don't like duplicates?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:35 pm
Squishy wrote:
ChallahChallah - you don't like duplicates?

Haha, luckily my username doesn't take up space in my teeny tiny apartment Wink

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:20 pm
Raisin wrote:
You don't get fleishig or milchig by eating pareve food off fleishig or milchig plates. Seems pointless to me but maybe they don't know the halacha.

I agree. There is absolutely no halachic benefit to having pareve china and cutlery.
I'd have no problem with a couple putting it on the registry since it can easily be put to use as pesach dishes or weekday meat set. Until then, it will just sit on the shelf.

Right now dh is learning hilchos Basar v'chalav. I'm learning that more and more is permitted then I thought. (And a few things I'm doing wrong embarrassed ).

A better idea would be to ask for a special onion knife and cutting board. That's where the problems lie.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:22 pm
If I had a kitchen big enough for a third sink or dishwasher, I could imagine that a third set of dishes/serveware would be convenient. Why wash up both pareve utensils *and* milk or meat after preparing a single meal?

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:48 pm
Raisin wrote:

If they're vegan there's more to it than that. I (a vegetarian) dislike eating off our fleishig dishes, and I never eat anything cooked in fleishig pots at home.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:26 pm
Teomima wrote:
If they're vegan there's more to it than that. I (a vegetarian) dislike eating off our fleishig dishes, and I never eat anything cooked in fleishig pots at home.

That's a personal preference. I've had vegan/vegetarian guests often and they eat off my meat dishes. Unless they are hindu.

Maybe one of the couple is a vegan?

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:33 pm
Raisin wrote:
That's a personal preference. I've had vegan/vegetarian guests often and they eat off my meat dishes. Unless they are hindu.

Maybe one of the couple is a vegan?

Exactly my point. If I were vegan, while I wouldn't demand vegan dishes as a guest, I'd appreciate having vegan dishes to eat off of in my own home.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:37 pm
Teomima wrote:
Exactly my point. If I were vegan, while I wouldn't demand vegan dishes as a guest, I'd appreciate having vegan dishes to eat off of in my own home.

You wouldn't need a full set though. In any case I have never heard of this. I guess its like the person who only wears brand new underwear and throws it out instead of washing, or someone who only drinks from paper cups.

Marion

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:36 pm
My mother has a set of pareve dessert plates and forks - they are used often for guests on Shabbat afternoon.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 1:06 am
sky wrote:
I don't have pareve eating dishes.

But I have 3 pareve cabinets (in a small kitchen) filled with pareve items:
- Pots: soup pots, frying pan, small sauce pan
- Baking pans: baking sheets, muffin tins, bundt pan, 9x13, loaf pan, tons of pans...
- Baking utensils: wooden spoons, bowl scrapers, pastry dough cutter and lots more
- Cooking Utensils: metal mixing spoons, ladles, spatula, beater, cutting board and lots more
- appliances: food processor, hand mixer, immersion blender

I keep all items purely pareve. I have a yellow pareve sponge, green pareve dish towel, use only in a pareve oven, etc.

I can see having 1 - 2 plates for cutting onions or garlic, but having a full serving set I don't understand. especially if vegan (because then no need for milk or meat dishes)

Same here

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 1:30 am
My mother has 3 sinks in her kitchen. And the parve counter is the biggest.
She doesn't have parve dishes for eating, but does have everything else. Pots, pans, spoons, mixing spoons and bowls. Tons of baking supplies of course. Anything in her house that does not HAVE to be milchig/fleishig isn't. Why make pasta in a milchig pot if you can make it parve and use for both?
I try to do that but not having a parve sink makes it harder... So by now most of my things aren't parve anymore. Either on purpose or.... not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen