Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shabbos clothes for me

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:08 am
We are "right wing modern orthodox" (whatever that means).
I always cover my elbows, knees, hair fully, etc. I am not so makpid about collarbones, but I won't go much below. Our community has a huge range of "levels" so nothing I wear ever stand out, except maybe as a bit more covered-up than most.

We are invited to visit family in a mixed Chassidish community this coming Shabbos, and I am really worried about how to dress. Normally I wear tichels, but I do have a full sheitel.

Can you ladies PLEASE advise me about what kinds of clothes I could wear/buy that will make me not stand out. Links to amazon prime items would be extra helpful. Shoes too.

And I assume I should wear my sheitel and not a tichel if I want to blend in?

Thank you for helping me feel more comfortable this Shabbos!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
We are "right wing modern orthodox" (whatever that means).
I always cover my elbows, knees, hair fully, etc. I am not so makpid about collarbones, but I won't go much below. Our community has a huge range of "levels" so nothing I wear ever stand out, except maybe as a bit more covered-up than most.

We are invited to visit family in a mixed Chassidish community this coming Shabbos, and I am really worried about how to dress. Normally I wear tichels, but I do have a full sheitel.

Can you ladies PLEASE advise me about what kinds of clothes I could wear/buy that will make me not stand out. Links to amazon prime items would be extra helpful. Shoes too.

And I assume I should wear my sheitel and not a tichel if I want to blend in?

Thank you for helping me feel more comfortable this Shabbos!

I'm not sure how easy it will be to "blend in" unless you dress exactly as many people dress. If you buy something, buy something you like and that you'll wear anyway.
I hope you're comfortable and enjoy the visit.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:16 pm
I appreciate your answer, and I know you are right that I won't really blend in anyway. But I'd like to try a bit at least.

For example, are all colors totally out? If I wear a tan/camel cardigan and muted tones flowered just-past-knee-length flowy cotton skirt, will I look completely out of place?

Will a floor length gray skirt with a loose black cardigan and light blouse be ok?

What about black ankle boots with a 2-3 inch heel and a midi black skirt, with thick nude or gray stockings?

A little guidance on how not to stick out like a sore thumb would be helpful. Maybe photos of the things people are wearing on Shabbos in Brooklyn, anything...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:35 pm
I agree with PinkFridge about buying something new. I think picking something out of your closet, or mixing and matching from your closet would be best. Otherwise, buy something something that would fit in, but that you'd wear any other time as well.
In regards to your more pointed questions above, a shaitel would be good. Flowered flowy cotton skirts, floor length skirts or heeled ankle boots would be different.
Rule of thumb for such a crowd would be to try to dress as you would for a corporate event. Tailored clothes like for an interview. And if it's a fancy event, then tailored type dressy clothes that you'd wear to a fancy corporate event.

zohar

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:12 pm
Try to work with what you have already. A black midi skirt sounds good. (Is it straight/full or a-line) the boots are ok but you will blend in better with flats or simple pumps for shabbos. Don't were thick nude, rather stick with gray, or even better, black. A fancy cardigan and a turtle neck or crisp white blouse should finish the look. For sure wear a wig.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:02 pm
omg just go as you ... no need to dress like someone else

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:00 am
If you want, you can wear a shell under what you have. A sleeveless crop shell if only the neckline is open, or a shell with sleeves. You can match the shell to the color of your outfit, wear black if it looks good together, or wear nude. It's not a huge investment, and it gives you the option of wearing something you'll use and enjoy. I think it's nice to be mindful of their tznius rules, and you'll probably be more comfortable that way. I wouldn't worry about color and style. I would stay away from anything tight fitting.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
Rule of thumb for such a crowd would be to try to dress as you would for a corporate event. Tailored clothes like for an interview. And if it's a fancy event, then tailored type dressy clothes that you'd wear to a fancy corporate event.

Thank you.
Do you mean like a suit? Or would a cardigan over a loose shell be ok?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:37 am
zohar wrote:
Try to work with what you have already. A black midi skirt sounds good. (Is it straight/full or a-line) the boots are ok but you will blend in better with flats or simple pumps for shabbos. Don't were thick nude, rather stick with gray, or even better, black. A fancy cardigan and a turtle neck or crisp white blouse should finish the look. For sure wear a wig.

The midi skirt is more a-line, with a bit of a flare. It is a thick stretchy material.

Can you suggest a style of shoe that would looks nice? I never wear flats with anything but long skirts since I have big calves and am quite short.

I have loads of black and gray tights, so that's easy.

Thanks so much.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:38 am
greenfire wrote:
omg just go as you ... no need to dress like someone else

I know, I know. I'm trying to do me but the boro park version Wink

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:48 am
thanks wrote:
If you want, you can wear a shell under what you have. A sleeveless crop shell if only the neckline is open, or a shell with sleeves. You can match the shell to the color of your outfit, wear black if it looks good together, or wear nude. It's not a huge investment, and it gives you the option of wearing something you'll use and enjoy. I think it's nice to be mindful of their tznius rules, and you'll probably be more comfortable that way. I wouldn't worry about color and style. I would stay away from anything tight fitting.

Good idea. I have a couple shells that may work too.

Yes, I know I wouldn't be shocking anyone with my normal clothes, but I will feel so much more self-conscious if I look really different, and I want to be comfortable.

Thank you.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
Thank you.
Do you mean like a suit? Or would a cardigan over a loose shell be ok?

Either or. A cardigan is totally fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics