Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yiddish vs Hebrew middle name

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:28 pm
I am pregnant and we are discussing possible girl names. We already have a 1st name chosen so this just pertains to a middle name that we don't plan on using regularly.

My grandmother had a double Yiddish name but was called by her English name. Lets say the double Yiddish name was Shprintza Minna. But she was called Minnie. (English version of Minna). Choice 1: use a Hebrew version of Shprintza. Choice 2: use the name Minna.
I would prefer the Minna route because obviously it reminds me much more of her. DH prefers the Hebrew Shprintza route. He noted that there are already 2 kids named for the Minna part of her name (one of them has a Hebrew version of the name and the other is a non frum relative who did a name starting with the letter M in her memory). No one has named for the Shprintza part.
But I feel like once we turn it into a Hebrew name, its not as sentimental. And if we don't plan on really using the 2nd name anyways, does it really matter if its a Yiddish name? (which is part of his opposition).
He is not SUPER opposed to my preference but has strongly stated his preference and I can't decide how hard to push it.
We have no intentions of naming 3 names.

The name we are talking about is a pretty "normal " Yiddish name I.e. Golda, Faiga, etc. We are OOT yeshivish.

Would love any input.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:26 pm
I think if it's your grandmother you should use the name associated with her.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:40 pm
singleagain wrote:
I think if it's your grandmother you should use the name associated with her.

Thank you! Anyone else?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:42 pm
Hebrew name

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:04 pm
it's your side of the family & so you get to feel comfortable with the name you associate her with rather than the one that is a name you didn't even call your grandmother why start now ?

he can use his 'preference card' when you name a child after his side of the family

I have a child with a double name one which is yiddish the other hebrew ... she is quite fine & even happy with the unique way we put it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names