Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pumping at work, how many oz each time?
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:07 pm
I'm trying to see how many ounces of my pumped milk to prepare for each bottle. My son is 3.5 months k"h.

I have plenty of supply bH, I'm get between 5 and 6 ounces in less than 10 min of pumping.

From my research online I only see recommendation in ounces for formula, not for expressed milk. (When nursing, he never nurses longer then 10 min total, I feed him exclusively on one side per feed)

Can you post the age of your child, and how many ounces you pump at a time? I'd love to get some idea, even though I know each child is individual.

TIA

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:45 pm
I remember getting 3-4 oz per bottle, for 2 bottles I n 1 pumping session. Eventually I pumped 8 oz total. Till then I either left my baby a 3 or 3 1/2 oz bottle. Or I'd put my pumped milk divided into 1 4 oz bottle and 2 oz bottle for extra. Next time I pumped I used the extra 2 oz together with other extra 2 oz for a 3rd bottle or freezer stash. I was able to do this since I only missing 1 feeding.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:55 pm
I never pumped, but I like to help out sometimes at a friend's babysitting service. Most of the babies 3 to 11 months or so take 4 ounces at once (pumped, formula, doesn't seem to matter). 4 ounces at once is only a bit too much for the not quite 3 month old. We take frozen bags of milk, stick them in boiled water, pour them into bottles, and try for 4 ounces or so per feed per kid. Once we run out of breastmilk we crack open the formula for some of the afternoon feeds. I'd say half the moms give us only enough breastmilk for one feed but half the moms are able to provide more.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:59 pm
My 2.5 month old takes 4.5 oz milk in a bottle.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:12 pm
I usually get 4-5 oz a side a pumping session. Sometimes it is only 3 and sometimes 6-7! It depends on if I ate/drank enough that day, when my work schedule allows me to pump, and if I was fully empty when I left for work.
I was told my kids all ate about 4 oz a feeding so one pumping session gets to be for 2 feedings. Helps keep up a stash for those "trips to the market that shouldn't have taken so long but DH had to feed the baby from stored milk" but I don't get a chance to really pump that much when I come home.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:21 pm
I exclusively pump for my 2.5 month twins. They eat about 3 ounces each per feeding and I pump anywhere from 6-10 ounces per pumping session. I try to pump from 15-20 minutes or even 25 if I have extra time.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:06 pm
How big is he and how often does he eat?

Take his weight and times by 2.5 and divide by feedings.

So if he's 12 lbs, that would be 30 ounces, and if he eats 7 times a day, that's between 4-4.5 ounces each feeding...

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:24 pm
At 4 months my baby ate for only 5 minutes, so I pumped just for 5 minutes and I got 4-5 OZ. When I give him formula thats how much he usually ate as well.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:05 pm
Wow you guys are lucky to get 8-10 oz in under 10 minutes! I pump 15 minutes at a time and get 2-3 oz per side, sometimes I'm lucky and get 4. My baby is 7 weeks old and I've been pumping since she's two weeks.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:44 pm
At 6 weeks, dd was taking 3 Oz. By 7 weeks she was taking 4 Oz per bottle and by 4 months she was taking 6 Oz. She went up to 7 Oz by 5 months but then back down to 6 when she began eating so kids at 6 months.

When I was pumping, I was away from her 9-10 hours, or 3 bottles a day. I would pump 6x each work day and I could never get more than 8-10 oz total. I tried reverse cycling but then I was a zombie at work. I spent my nights pumping extra, too. My supply dwindled and dd was losing weight so I eventually gave up by 6.5 months. Good for you for getting so much milk!

Most kids will have about 24oz a day. I think kellymom has a tool to figure out how many ounces of breastmilk a baby needs. That could be spread over many small bottles, or less big ones. I used to have my sitter start with 3 ounces and just stop feeding. That worked for a week until dd started screaming for more within a few minutes. But she always tried to feed her the smallest amount possible. (many times breastfed babies will just guzzle more than they need from a bottle if you let them and my limited supply was sacred!)

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:53 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
At 4 months my baby ate for only 5 minutes, so I pumped just for 5 minutes and I got 4-5 OZ. When I give him formula thats how much he usually ate as well.

I was told that nursing is more effective than pumping so while my baby might nurse only a 5 or so minutes, it would take 10-15 minutes to pump enough for a feeding.
I personally try to drink tons of water, I limit caffeine and avoid cold meds (sudafed is known to dry up milk). I also started pumping right away- within 2 weeks of birth? I didn't get tons but 2 oz here and 2 there built up my supply and my freezer stash.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:02 pm
nicole81 wrote:
At 6 weeks, dd was taking 3 Oz. By 7 weeks she was taking 4 Oz per bottle and by 4 months she was taking 6 Oz. She went up to 7 Oz by 5 months but then back down to 6 when she began eating so kids at 6 months.

When I was pumping, I was away from her 9-10 hours, or 3 bottles a day. I would pump 6x each work day and I could never get more than 8-10 oz total. I tried reverse cycling but then I was a zombie at work. I spent my nights pumping extra, too. My supply dwindled and dd was losing weight so I eventually gave up by 6.5 months. Good for you for getting so much milk!

Most kids will have about 24oz a day. I think kellymom has a tool to figure out how many ounces of breastmilk a baby needs. That could be spread over many small bottles, or less big ones. I used to have my sitter start with 3 ounces and just stop feeding. That worked for a week until dd started screaming for more within a few minutes. But she always tried to feed her the smallest amount possible. (many times breastfed babies will just guzzle more than they need from a bottle if you let them and my limited supply was sacred!)

How did you have time to pump six times at work? I'm lucky to take 2 pumping breaks, 15 minutes each, and they're often delayed depending on how busy it is at work. Ideally I'd pump at 10:30 and 1:30 and once more before leaving but I'm rarely able to pump on that schedule.

Also, when you say you gave up, does that mean you gave up pumping? Gave up nursing altogether? GAve up exclusive breastfeeding and started supplementing?

Even if it ends up that I cannot produce enough at work I still hope to breastfeed on the days and hours I'm home. With my last baby I didn't go back to work full time until she was 7 months. I couldn't pump at work and had to give formula but we still managed to keep nursing going until she was 2.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
Wow you guys are lucky to get 8-10 oz in under 10 minutes! I pump 15 minutes at a time and get 2-3 oz per side, sometimes I'm lucky and get 4. My baby is 7 weeks old and I've been pumping since she's two weeks.

For me the key to a lot of milk is being well hydrated and using a hospital grade pump. I also pump at least 6 times in 24 hours and no less.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:
For me the key to a lot of milk is being well hydrated and using a hospital grade pump. I also pump at least 6 times in 24 hours and no less.

I only pump at work. When I'm home I want her feeding from the breast as much as possible.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 9:58 am
amother wrote:

That sounds right, from what people here are saying. Your baby is still young, so she shouldn't need that much yet.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:04 am
SingALong wrote:
I remember getting 3-4 oz per bottle, for 2 bottles I n 1 pumping session. Eventually I pumped 8 oz total. Till then I either left my baby a 3 or 3 1/2 oz bottle. Or I'd put my pumped milk divided into 1 4 oz bottle and 2 oz bottle for extra. Next time I pumped I used the extra 2 oz together with other extra 2 oz for a 3rd bottle or freezer stash. I was able to do this since I only missing 1 feeding.

Why did you pump so much of your baby was only eating 3 oz at a shot? My problem/ question is, aren't you training your body to have more milk than your baby needs?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
Why did you pump so much of your baby was only eating 3 oz at a shot? My problem/ question is, aren't you training your body to have more milk than your baby needs?

I think when you're pumping there's always a paranoia that there won't be enough milk for the baby so you want to have more than enough. Also if I'm ever delayed on the way home from work for whatever reason there should be enough milk.

When I went back to work I had a week's worth of milk in the freezer but now I'm barely a day ahead. That means that she used up the extra supply already which makes me worry about being able to keep up with her demand.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:16 am
I used to pump about 4 oz each side per time. In the beginning till baby was abt 5-6 months I would pump 2 times per day (at work). I felt it built my milk in the long run.
About having too much milk I always felt my baby stopped when he was done eating, so he wasn't overstuffed.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:37 am
amother wrote:

I do try to keep the supply a bit higher than the demand so I will always have enough to send with baby, since I dont use formula

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
I used to pump about 4 oz each side per time. In the beginning till baby was abt 5-6 months I would pump 2 times per day (at work). I felt it built my milk in the long run.
About having too much milk I always felt my baby stopped when he was done eating, so he wasn't overstuffed.

So you did one side per pumping session? Or you pump double what you actually needed?

My issue is, I have so much supply, my baby has a hard time latching on.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics