Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
12 & still bedwetting
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:24 am
12 year old still can not stay dry at nights anyone have an idea what company diaper works well ? good nites are not doing a good job as they r pull ups diapers would probaly be better but that would mean I would have to change her myself any help? thanks

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:24 am
I don't have a nightwear recommendation, but have you tried an alarm? We first tried an alarm that was cheap and didn't work well, and later tried an alarm that was better quality.

Maybe even just setting a regular alarm to 2am to get up and use the bathroom each night can help a lot.

We also worked with a clinic that helped a lot, and it was partially reimbursed by insurance.

smilealot

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:42 am
We also worked with a clinic and we actually worked out that DS wasn't holding much urine in his bladder during day and kept running to toilet. Once that was sorted (with medication) then he was dry at night. He is now not on any medication and is dry most nights. 😊
How about using a bed mat - disposable type?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:46 am
Did she get her period yet? I was still bedwetting at about that age and the doctor says that once I get my period I'll be fine. That actually turned out 100% correct.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:54 am
All my kids were still bedwettibg at 12. Its soooo annoying n keeps me really busy with laundry. Dr said as soon as they hit puberty they grow out of it. She was right every time

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 9:05 am
Recently asked dr about my 6 yo. He said no need for alarm. He'll outgrow it. Then asked if any of my siblings were bedwetters or husbands family? I asked what is that gonna help me? He said, if your mother in law had 4 kids bed wetting till 15, you know it's a family thing and you'll have to be patient. I was shocked he mentioned that age!!!! Can't imagine having to deal with it for so long!!
So op, have you tried alarm or any other method? I take ds every night to the bathroom around 11. Then I put him on a diaper. And diaper is always wet! I will try setting an alarm for 2 am as well. Good luck to u!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:25 pm
I'm not sure how big your 12 year old is, but maybe the smallest size of Depends (or something similar) would work?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:35 pm
Bedwetting can definitely be hereditary, especially if it goes into the older ages. Puberty usually fixes it.

OP, is there a reason why your DD cannot change her own diapers? Can she dress herself in the morning? Does she have developmental delays? Generally, if a child can put on a Bandaid for herself, then she can manage the tabs on a diaper.

I wish you lots of luck!

perquacky

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:02 pm
Please ask a urologist about Desmopressin. Two of my boys were on it for a few years, and it made a huge difference in all of our lives.

Queen6

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:29 pm
DON"T use medication. Google Dr. Sagie - he has the bed wetting alarm that will change your life. He will hold your hand through the process.
Do it.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:30 pm
It runs in my family. 4/5 bedwetters. I bedwet till 18 I stopped before I got married. I was and am a normal person.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:31 pm
perquacky wrote:
Please ask a urologist about Desmopressin. Two of my boys were on it for a few years, and it made a huge difference in all of our lives.

My son was on it and though it solved the bedwetting problem it created other problems :-(

My son wishes I had never given it to him.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:31 pm
I wish my mother would have done something. Anything it sure was embarrassing.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:32 pm
I bedwetted til 14. Nobody would have ever guessed it. I showered each morning to clear the odor, and was one of the smartest in the class...(so I am told by my classmates)

perquacky

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:32 pm
Alarms don't work for heavy sleepers, and it still often means the parent has to get up at night. Try them if you want, but if they don't work, I still say go for the meds. It really did wonders for my boys. But please see a urologist first and see what they recommend. Most of us here aren't doctors.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
My son was on it and though it solved the bedwetting problem it created other problems :-(

My son wishes I had never given it to him.

Would you mind sharing what problems were caused by the desmopressin? I have been thinking of giving it to my son who is still bedwetting... Thank you.

sunshine5

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 6:16 pm
It may sound funny, but try taking stopping milk. It solved my ds bedwetting almost completely.
We discovered it by accident, he was having seasonal allergies and som1 suggested avoiding milk so he did. At same time he we realized he was waking up dry.
When he caves in amd drinks milk then jw wakes up wet.
I offered thia advice to others and they alao saw great results.
Imo its worth a try. At 12 it shouldnt be that hard. Needs to about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks off milk.
Good luck.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:39 pm
I think certain programs are psychologically not acceptable so after you hear about a method consult with a good psycholgyst. 2 out of my kids bedweeted . I also did but I may be able to blame on a major trauma from childhood. One of my two suffered, went to camp wetting, used to give camp mother bedding until the madrich may he be blessed told me about medicine. One I had more sense and age already and I asked meds. Finally both are clear. They do have minor behavioral issues. So family genes or other issues together? Only the one sbove knows. They went for therapy on minor issues at different stages of young childhood. Speaking of puberty and not related: One girl of mine acted like a teenager from about 8 -9 till .... she got her period. Once she got her period she became much a more obedient and normal girl in class.(andni was shivering that if she is doing all thst before being a teen how much harder will be cholila when sjell be a real teen. So I can thank Hashem here publically for His chesed.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:43 pm
Was it dr sagie or desmopressin that helped for one thing and brought another thing?

ceebee

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 8:45 pm
sunshine5 wrote:
It may sound funny, but try taking stopping milk. It solved my ds bedwetting almost completely.
We discovered it by accident, he was having seasonal allergies and som1 suggested avoiding milk so he did. At same time he we realized he was waking up dry.
When he caves in amd drinks milk then jw wakes up wet.
I offered thia advice to others and they alao saw great results.
Imo its worth a try. At 12 it shouldnt be that hard. Needs to about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks off milk.
Good luck.

Yes there's a link between dairy and bed wetting. This can be the simplest solution yet. Try helping your child go dairy free and see what happens.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics