Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Six month old not sitting yet

Catcher

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:49 am
My 25 week old son is unable to sit unsupported - all of his peers are. I'm getting a little worried. He can roll from back to tummy but seems to have difficulty from tummy to back. He can lift his head while on tummy quite well.

Should I be worried or am I overreacting?

kerem

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:49 am
I wouldn't worry yet. I had a few kids who began to sit unsupported by 7 months.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 5:57 am
No need to worry at all. Most of my kids learned to sit once they started crawling and learned to sit up by themselves. My kids started crawling bet 9-11 mnths!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 7:24 am
Totally normal. My babe didn't sit unassisted till 8.5 months

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:32 pm
Normal. My baby is almost 6 months and hasn't mastered rolling over yet.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:29 pm
I would let it be.

My baby was unable to sit up til eight or nine months, crawling at ten or eleven months, and walking at about twenty months.

He's eighteen now and very strong!

Granted, he got physical therapy as an infant, starting at two months old. No other issues besides delayed physical development. He was born full term, no pregnancy issues. Go figure. I think his physical delays were a result of my sedentary lifestyle during the pregnancy. I was in bed most of the time- completely inactive. (was so depressed about the pregnancy, all I could do was lie in bed)

I can't imagine how much more delayed he'd be without the physical therapy...

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 2:51 pm
Dd didn't sit independently until age 9 months. She was creeping all over though by 6-7 months, so I wasn't concerned.

My pediatrician actually showed me how I can teach ds to sit, he was about 6 months old. I placed him in a sitting position, feet out like a triangle, him upright leaning forward slightly. I put some toys on the floor in front of him. Then I'd place 1 hand gently in his back and other gently on his stomache. As he worked on maintaining an upright position, my hand would be the thing to prevent him from falling foraward or back. With time, as I did this a few times a day for a few minutes each, he leaned on my hands less and less frequently and sat upright more. After a few weeks he was sitting.

I see this seat around in stores, looks like a booster or potty but really just a supportive chair for a baby. Maybe placing your baby in that will help her exercise her neck and upper back muscles to strengthen and be better able to sit up independently.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
I would let it be.

My baby was unable to sit up til eight or nine months, crawling at ten or eleven months, and walking at about twenty months.

He's eighteen now and very strong!

Granted, he got physical therapy as an infant, starting at two months old. No other issues besides delayed physical development. He was born full term, no pregnancy issues. Go figure. I think his physical delays were a result of my sedentary lifestyle during the pregnancy. I was in bed most of the time- completely inactive. (was so depressed about the pregnancy, all I could do was lie in bed)

I can't imagine how much more delayed he'd be without the physical therapy...

WADR, you're telling OP that your child needed extensive physical therapy as an infant, but in the same breath telling her that her baby is fine since your baby also wasn't sitting at that age.

OP, 6 months is still well within normal range for a baby to sit independently. If you're concerned, though, make sure you're giving him plenty of tummy time, to strengthen his neck and head muscles.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:36 pm
My daughter had a motor delay, so we know all the ins and outs of what's normal physically, from developmental neurologists, orthopedists, physical therapists, and occupational therapists.

The average age for sitting unsupported is up to 7 months, but many babies do it later. Your baby hasn't even reached the upper limit of average yet.

The red flags for sitting are the following:
- Not being be able to sit SUPPORTED at 6 months (supported = not flopping over in a stroller or highchair)
- If your baby has reached NO motor milestones (rolling over, sitting, or crawling) by 7-8 months. But if your baby is doing at least one of these by 7-8 months, that's NOT a red flag.
- If your baby can't sit UNSUPPORTED on the floor for a just short time (a few minutes) at 9 months.

Of course, if your child seems to be very floppy, stiff, or tight frequently, they should b e evaluated even if they are meeting some milestones.

Developmentally, sitting is actually a skill that is supposed to come after crawling. And in fact, a baby that can't get into the sitting position alone does not actually have all the correct muscles strengthened enough to sit correctly, and they will sit incorrectly and this is worse than not sitting at all. In fact, most of the professionals above I spoke to specifically told us that a baby who can't get into the sitting position themselves should not be put into a sitting position by us on the floor, even if they can hold themselves when put there (but, sitting on your lap or in a highchair is fine, because they have back support that way too). The proper way to get into a sitting position is from the crawling postion (baby doesn't actually have to know how to crawl, just how to get up on hands and knees). Therefore, many babies to start crawling and sitting fairly close together; some do one first, and some do the other.

So your baby sounds just fine!

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 3:38 pm
SingALong wrote:
Dd didn't sit independently until age 9 months. She was creeping all over though by 6-7 months, so I wasn't concerned.

My pediatrician actually showed me how I can teach ds to sit, he was about 6 months old. I placed him in a sitting position, feet out like a triangle, him upright leaning forward slightly. I put some toys on the floor in front of him. Then I'd place 1 hand gently in his back and other gently on his stomache. As he worked on maintaining an upright position, my hand would be the thing to prevent him from falling foraward or back. With time, as I did this a few times a day for a few minutes each, he leaned on my hands less and less frequently and sat upright more. After a few weeks he was sitting.

I see this seat around in stores, looks like a booster or potty but really just a supportive chair for a baby. Maybe placing your baby in that will help her exercise her neck and upper back muscles to strengthen and be better able to sit up independently.

1. Do what is mentioned in the first paragraph! And keep up the tummy time!!

2. Does he/she sit supported - like with hands down for support - without falling over - for at least 30 seconds?

3. If the 2nd paragraph is about a bumbo chair, I would NOT recommend it. The baby's position in it isn't that great and it encourages uneven muscle development, which I doubt OP wants. SingALong, if you were referring to a different seat, can you find the name?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics