Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Taco Toppings
1  2  Next

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:04 pm
I recently made meat tacos for supper for the first time and everyone really enjoyed them. I'm planning to make them again and I would love some ideas for toppings. The one time I made tacos I offered lettuce and crispy fried onions. I googled for ideas, but my kids are not adventurous eaters. They won't eat avocado, most of them don't like tomatoes, we obviously can't use cheese, and my kids won't eat any parve version. What can I offer them that's not too exotic for my picky eaters?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 1:36 am
Hmmm, when I make tacos I cut up avocado and tomatoes, but you already nixed those. I also offer corn niblets and diced red onion.

I usually make a taco salad to go with it without the added taco chips. I cut up peppers and cucumbers and I use romaine lettuce. The dressing is a mixture of mayo and salsa (I use mild and add a drop of cayenne pepper). The leftover salsa is another possible topping.

We usually end up eating most of the taco incorporated into the salad anyway because it kind of falls apart.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:10 am
Thanks, I like the corn niblets and diced red onion ideas. They eat both of those. Now I know what we're having for supper tonight!

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:12 am
We usually do dairy tacos but:
I second the salsa and corn (I also do avocado & tomatoes-maybe your kids would be willing to try them with the tacos?).
We've also done sliced olives (green and black).
Someone I know once put out diced pickles (dill, small dice) when I was there and it was surprisingly good.
grilled veggies also work well (smaller pieces are easier to eat)-peppers, eggplant, squash.
If you want to go crazy (you didn't say you were only looking for healthy ideas) you can offer french fries (the really skinny ones-'shoestrings').

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:14 am
Thanks mamaleh, green olives work and they definitely go for pickles, I'm going to try that. The roasted veggies sounds good too, but I won't have time tonight, I'll try it next time. And French fries are always good around here!

sky

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:51 am
we just had last night.
We topped with
- lettuce
- tomatoes
- peppers (these are my kids favourite)
- red onion

Carmen Luna

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:34 am
* I make a salsa made from
- mango
- red pepper
- jalapeno
- red onion
- cilantro
- lime juice
I finely dice all of the above and lightly toss it in lime juice.

* or I take corn from a can, drain it and fire roast them..

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:59 am
how about some salsa ... it can be fun ... or babaganoush, techina or something they do like maybe pickles

mommybrr

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:42 pm
dill pickles-the only topping we use!

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:51 pm
mamaleh wrote:
We usually do dairy tacos but:

What are dairy tacos? I thought tacos are all about the meat!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 8:56 pm
Get all the toppings that sound good to YOU, and put them out in little bowls. Make it a "taco bar", and everyone can serve themselves. Who knows, maybe your kids will try something and decide they like it after all! If not, at least you can enjoy having the toppings that you want.

Also, try making them with parve "beef crumbles" cooked in taco seasoning. That way, you can have shredded cheese and sour cream. We actually like it better than tacos made with real meat. (And we can have ice cream for dessert!) Very Happy

You can look up recipes for refried beans and Spanish rice, for traditional side dishes.

Another idea is to forget the taco shells, and serve individual bowls of finely shredded lettuce. Everyone chooses their own toppings. Let the kids scoop it up with tortilla chips, or just use a fork.

I make a dressing of mayo mixed with salsa (use about half of each). It's creamy, not too spicy, and blends in well with all the other flavors.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:28 pm
We just use rice and shredded lettuce inside the taco itself. I don't know how to fit much more than that with the mat to make sure it doesn't fall out!

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:41 pm
salsa
guacemole/avocado
lettuce
non-dairy "cheese" once in a while

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 9:42 pm
We had dairy tacos tonite. They were refried beans, corn and cheese with rice on the side. Easiest dinner ever.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:12 pm
Pickled red onions, cilantro, jicama slaw, corn salsa

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:15 pm
seeker wrote:
What are dairy tacos? I thought tacos are all about the meat!

oh no they're SO much better dairy (IMO)! Use morningstar farms (or something similar) ground crumbles and then you can use REAL CHEESE. tacos are the best with melty cheese on them!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:23 pm
lucky14 wrote:
oh no they're SO much better dairy (IMO)! Use morningstar farms (or something similar) ground crumbles and then you can use REAL CHEESE. tacos are the best with melty cheese on them!

I use tofu that has been frozen and defrosted I fry it with Mexican seasonings.

exhausted

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:03 pm
This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you melt the cheese when doing a dairy taco? embarrassed embarrassed

perquacky

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:23 pm
exhausted wrote:
This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you melt the cheese when doing a dairy taco? embarrassed embarrassed

You sprinkle it on top. Look for the shredded Mexican blend in a bag.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:24 pm
I use the taco boats, fill with beans and corn and cheese and broil until melted.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics