Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ivanka Trump - heter to drive on Shabbos bec pikuach nefesh
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:55 am
http://forward.com/schmooze/36.....gura/

Why would this be pikuach nefesh? Just trying to understand.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:56 am
Angry people throwing rocks, trying to shoot her, perhaps?

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:58 am
That's what I was thinking.

If, for whatever reasons, they are out and about on Shabbos, maybe Secret Service needs them to be in an armored vehicle for their safety.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:04 am
Am I going to get 'virtually stoned' if I say that I have a real fundamental issue with this?

Last edited by Hatemywig on Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:07 am
Enough about IVanka.do you have nothing else to think about? I can give you some things on my to-do list.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
Angry people throwing rocks, trying to shoot her, perhaps?

She received "permission to travel by car on Friday evening following the inauguration of her father, Donald Trump, as the next president of the United States, according to a Kol Barama radio interview with Mark Zell, the chair of the Republican party in Israel." http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/.....78905
Not every Shabbat.

The inauguration is Friday at noon. Lighting isn't until 4:48 pm, per Chabad, so she would have plenty of time to attend the inauguration, and be transported home in armored car style. I'm guessing that the heter is therefore to allow her to attend some of the festivities.

I'm not seeing the pikuach nefesh, but if a rabbi did, kol hakavod to her, hope she has a good time.

L25

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:11 am
am I only one who thinks Ivanka Trump and her religious observance is a topic that should not be allowed on imamother? I realize the op asked an innocent question but I just don't think it's a good road to go down.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
am I only one who thinks Ivanka Trump and her religious observance is a topic that should not be allowed on imamother? I realize the op asked an innocent question but I just don't think it's a good road to go down.

It's the frum version of celebrity gossip magazines. Some women need an outlet... and by posing it as concern for Judaism, they (think they) don't have to worry about lashon hara.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:14 am
For everyone who screams "Daas Torah!", I am sure that there are a lot of heterim that we do not understand, or even agree with. Still, if she has an orthodox rabbi, shouldn't we respect his authority?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:16 am
amother wrote:

She is merely the president elects DD, not a sacred cow. From what I've been reading on line this is a question being asked by many, Jews included. It's a simple matter of her press people clarifying the ruling. It's likely she'll be at some of the balls. Is it a life and death matter? That's really the question to be asked. IIRC the Libermans did not attend any balls.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:21 am
Technically your title is incorrect. She has a heter to ride, not to drive.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
For everyone who screams "Daas Torah!", I am sure that there are a lot of heterim that we do not understand, or even agree with. Still, if she has an orthodox rabbi, shouldn't we respect his authority?

I respect her right to choose and her Rabbi's right to choose, it doesn't mean I agree with them.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
It's the frum version of celebrity gossip magazines. Some women need an outlet... and by posing it as concern for Judaism, they (think they) don't have to worry about lashon hara.

Why, thank you.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:24 am
Hatemywig wrote:
I respect her right to choose and her Rabbi's right to choose, it doesn't mean I agree with them.

People could say the same thing about birth control. Everyone has their derech.

I appreciate your comment, and how respectfully it was written.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
People could say the same thing about birth control. Everyone has their derech. Yes, they could.

We aim to please

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
People could say the same thing about birth control. Everyone has their derech.

So now holy liberal imamother is comparing birth control to riding in a car on shabbos?

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:28 am
Hard to know anything -- all of this is coming from second-hand reports.

It's possible that the heter was given in advance for any action the security detail feels is appropriate. As I understand it, the Secret Service detail is like an obstetrician in the delivery room. If the head of the detail says, "Get in the car," you defer to his judgment regarding what constitutes a threat.

It's also possible that this is being widely circulated to make sure anyone planning violence knows she's not trotting around on foot in a Shabbos robe and slippers. Smile

tichellady

MagentaYenta wrote:
She is merely the president elects DD, not a sacred cow. From what I've been reading on line this is a question being asked by many, Jews included. It's a simple matter of her press people clarifying the ruling. It's likely she'll be at some of the balls. Is it a life and death matter? That's really the question to be asked. IIRC the Libermans did not attend any balls.

I think people are understanding pikuach nefesh too literally here. Do you really think everytime a doctor works on shabbos it's a life and death matter? Who says that specific doctor needs to be the doctor that day? There are non-Jewish doctors that could cover them if necessary, even if that would be inconvienent and expensive. Is it life and death for the doctor to drive home after seeing a sick patient? Who said a Jewish person has the right to become a doctor when we have enough gentiles to be doctors ( I'm talking outside of Israel)? These questions are rhetorical (in case my tone is unclear)

I don't want to talk about ivanka trump. It's not my business and these conversations end up way too yentaish and judgy.

Hatemywig

amother wrote:
So now holy liberal imamother is comparing birth control to riding in a car on shabbos?

Lady, I actually agree with you on this one, fundamentally that is. Not with your snarkiness and hiding behind amother to attack someone else.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:30 am
amother wrote:

There are absolutely times and circumstances in which it would be pikuach nefesh to ride in a car on Shabbat. Need of emergency medical care springs to mind immediately, and wouldn't be at all controversial.

Something to do with the inauguration? As I said, I don't see it, but maybe her rabbis do. Or maybe it was reported somewhat inaccurately.

In any case, "liberals" (I) wouldn't necessarily ask rabbinic permission for use of birth control; (ii) aren't overly fond of Ivanka or her father.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics