Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Abuse by Mental Health Professionals-Did this happen to you?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 9:43 am
When I was 19, my dad and step mother brought me to a therapist because they suspected that I was depressed. The therapist insisted that they stay in the room during the session, which was weird, but okay, whatever. He then asked a bit about me and I told him I had just come back from seminary. The moment I mentioned it, he perked up and asked if I was molested by my rabbis there. I'm like nope. He kept pressing and pressing me, saying how common it is that rabbis in seminary molest and rape their female students. I felt as if he was trying to coerce me into admitting to getting abused by the big bad rabbis in Israel. I insisted that it never happened because, well, it didn't! It was such an uncomfortable experience. But I learned years later that not all therapists have some sort of agenda. This guy was just a bad seed.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 9:54 am
The key is, you are your best advocate. Even with a good therapist, they can only work with the information you provide. And some really good therapists don't mind pushing you to your limits so that you advocate for yourself.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 11:45 am
Let's just say he did more harm then good! All he did was take our money. Never again!

And oh yea he was a licensed therapist!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 12:34 pm
Firstly, do not sign paperwork without knowing what it is for. Read it!!! One of the stories in the article stated that "she had no idea she signed for a voluntary admission". HUH? Read the dumb papers!! Ask questions!

Also, as a therapist, if a client (like in the article) was joking about "who isn't suicidal?" And about how they had access to a means to kill themselves .... Yep, that seems like SI (suicide ideation) or at least enough to warrant a second opinion by the city's psychological eval team. I don't want a patient killing themselves on my watch!!

Unfortunately, psychology isn't the same science as say neurology. We don't have MRIs, blood tests etc to back up our diagnosis. Being misdiagnosed is awful but is possible. If you disagree with it, ASK. Look up the criteria in the DSM. You might be surprised as the colloquial definitions aren't always the same as the DSM. But also, many who have mental illness aren't able to see their full dysfunction. The way people come across, differs from how they see themselves. I know a schizophrenic who thinks it's perfectly normal to talk to the tree. Yes, I saw this person do just that. Extreme example but true.

However, HUGS! many of the stories here are crazy. Only see people registered or licensed with the state. Only see people who are trained in that field. There is something called a "MFT"- see those over a school psychologist, LCSW, etc for marriage counseling. There are different fields for a reason. See a school psychologist for academic/school based issues. Not all degrees are the same...
Don't see a hand surgeon for a migraine.
And if your therapist molested you- REPORT to the state. If they aren't licensed- call the cops!

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 12:43 pm
My only long-term therapist was an extremely skilled, smart, wonderful woman. My experience with her set a standard.
I've since been to less qualified therapists and I feel very comfortable not returning after one session.
One therapist had all his phones ringing during the session and he checked his texts while I was speaking. If not for my knowing what a good therapy session is like, I would've been bothered but I probably would've tried again with him.
There were other stories with other substandard therapists...
I am still searching for someone like my first one and am extremely grateful to her for showing me what a good experience is.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:49 pm
Cnc or anyone else, can you link the thread that speaks about that unlicensed therapist?

I've been to therapists. Most of them didn't help me significantly. I felt uncomfortable with them. I didn't feel comfortable sharing with a total stranger. Anyway, 2 therapists I had gave me a very hard time to leave them. They made me feel uncomfortable and feel like I am unreasonable for the changes I want or the expectations I have. Not sure till today why she said that.

Most of the therapists you see in a clinic in Brooklyn are that way. I don't live there now so I'm hoping that ones where I live are not that way.

I came away more hurt then getting help from that clinic. I felt they couldn't help me and were not interested in helping me. Obviously you don't know the issues. But I was basically in grieving mode and I didn't know then, and they didn't understand me at all. Today I look back and I'm happier because life doesn't always give you lemons. And I've gotten used to the situation, although I have painful memories.

cnc

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
Cnc or anyone else, can you link the thread that speaks about that unlicensed therapist?

I've been to therapists. Most of them didn't help me significantly. I felt uncomfortable with them. I didn't feel comfortable sharing with a total stranger. Anyway, 2 therapists I had gave me a very hard time to leave them. They made me feel uncomfortable and feel like I am unreasonable for the changes I want or the expectations I have. Not sure till today why she said that.

Most of the therapists you see in a clinic in Brooklyn are that way. I don't live there now so I'm hoping that ones where I live are not that way.

I came away more hurt then getting help from that clinic. I felt they couldn't help me and were not interested in helping me. Obviously you don't know the issues. But I was basically in grieving mode and I didn't know then, and they didn't understand me at all. Today I look back and I'm happier because life doesn't always give you lemons. And I've gotten used to the situation, although I have painful memories.

One of them was deleted ( I think) because private details about the girls were being shared and the other one is in a private forum (CV).

Trust me she's not in business anymore after pashkevikin were hung up all over about her.

ETA: I just did a search with her last name and there are at least two threads up about her.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:06 pm
This happened to me.

I had a positive relationship with my therapist but she misunderstood something I said and reported it to DCF. All of our private conversations were apparently misunderstood and no longer private. Without the help of my lawyer my psychiatric records would no longer have been private either, although I had nothing to hide. I realized that what seemed like me trying to get help for myself turned into ammunition that I might loose my children. I do not believe in therapy.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:15 pm
cnc, I heard she may still be seeing clients in the down low. I hope it's not true.
And I hope to God that people are more sane than to hire her and put their lives in her hands.

cnc

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
cnc, I heard she may still be seeing clients in the down low. I hope it's not true.
And I hope to God that people are more sane than to hire her and put their lives in her hands.

Are you serious!?😳

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:45 pm
cnc wrote:
Are you serious!?😳

That's what I heard. Who knows.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 3:51 pm
there's a lot of abuse going on in the mental health field ... one reason NOT to go crazy ... NUTso is challenging enough

boy could I tell you stories from hospitals & family members ...

releasing one whilst she was screaming she's gonna jump & she did within 12 hours [which left her in the hospital with a broken body so there was no chance she'd jump again ... ya think?!]

from threats to another "I'M the DOCTOR & that means I CAN DRUG YOU EVEN MORE !!!" thankfully her own case manager & social worker were with us & we went straight to the director & pulled this clown off her case

etc.

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 12:46 pm
sourstix wrote:
Puce that is horrible. I'm sorry for your pain. Were you officially diagnosed by a reputable psychiatrist? That specializes in bpd?

What does it take for a licensed person to lose it? How can you report them?

No. No other therapist I have ever been to said they thought I had bpd. She didn't say outright that I have bpd but based on the words she used with me, my current therapist says she probably told my husband this and gave him no hope for his marriage.

I don't know if you can report where I live. And even if I could, probably nothing would come of it.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
No. No other therapist I have ever been to said they thought I had bpd. She didn't say outright that I have bpd but based on the words she used with me, my current therapist says she probably told my husband this and gave him no hope for his marriage.

I don't know if you can report where I live. And even if I could, probably nothing would come of it.

A friend of mine also was going to a therapist who told her husband that she is crazy and he should consider divorce. Thankfully she got in touch with someone who was able to help them.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 6:43 pm
I went to a therapist in Israel (she is American) and she made fun of me. She is a nut! I am happy I realized it before it was too late!
My uncle to a non licensed guy and he raped him and the guy ran way to a different country and walking around freely!

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 6:58 pm
I have been going to an individual therapist mainly due to issues in my marriage and I am not sure if I should stay or leave.
I am seeing a lot more fearmongering from my therapist lately. For example, whenever the subject of possible child custody comes up, it's as if she's trying to scare me out of it. I understand wanting to keep families together but I'm starting not to trust her. She told me my husband and his family may try to get full custody and I'd lose my baby, and other legal type comments even though she isn't an attorney. She's always saying how it would be a very bitter custody battle and I'd lose control. I left the session in total emotional shambles. It's not normal right?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
I have been going to an individual therapist mainly due to issues in my marriage and I am not sure if I should stay or leave.
I am seeing a lot more fearmongering from my therapist lately. For example, whenever the subject of possible child custody comes up, it's as if she's trying to scare me out of it. I understand wanting to keep families together but I'm starting not to trust her. She told me my husband and his family may try to get full custody and I'd lose my baby, and other legal type comments even though she isn't an attorney. She's always saying how it would be a very bitter custody battle and I'd lose control. I left the session in total emotional shambles. It's not normal right?

Correct. This isn't normal. It is appropriate to advise you to access expert legal advice, and to support you in your efforts to obtain this. And she should be supporting you in your needs and helping you determine what they are. She should be building you up, not tearing you down.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
Correct. This isn't normal. It is appropriate to advise you to access expert legal advice, and to support you in your efforts to obtain this. And she should be supporting you in your needs and helping you determine what they are. She should be building you up, not tearing you down.

She also told me I should be careful what I say to our marriage counselor. I told her I think my husband is telling the marriage counselor in his own private sessions that I'm "angry". If anything, HE is the angry one...
My therapist told me I should be careful because I could be painted as a unfit mother. She absolutely terrified me Sad
I am a good mom, I've been my baby's primary caregiver for her whole life and it would be my worst nightmare to lose her because of lies.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:

Ask her why she is saying this. Does she have information you don't? Is your husband planning on fighting for custody and claiming you lose your temper? Just because you are a fit mother doesn't mean he isn't planning to fight for custody. And yes you need to be careful. I had a really bad experience.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Ask her why she is saying this. Does she have information you don't? Is your husband planning on fighting for custody and claiming you lose your temper? Just because you are a fit mother doesn't mean he isn't planning to fight for custody. And yes you need to be careful. I had a really bad experience.

I know I would need to be careful. Wouldn't it be his word against mine? How could he "prove" I lose my temper or am "angry"?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics