Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you read a book about belly buttons to your 6 yr old b
1  2  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:32 pm
My son loves science and of course belly buttons. I found this book that explains why mammals have them, how babies are fed in utero through an umbilical cord. There was one pic of a mom breastfeeding her baby (only the baby and a part of her breast) and some other animals nursing.

My husband is concerned that he will remember the pics when he is older and get some kind of z-x f-tish. That somehow this will be in his brain and mess him up z-exually. And maybe that he will have a hard time controlling himself when he is older.

Is he like way way off or am I clueless about this bring that I am a woman.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:36 pm
There's one I haven't heard of.

perquacky

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:40 pm
I think it's great that you're encouraging your son to learn something new about one of his interests. Please tell your husband he is waaaaaay off base. It's this bizarre kind of thinking that inspires ignorance.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:42 pm
Wow.
The frum world is so obsessed with S-x.
Maybe if you teach your son how babies are fed he'll grow up with a much healthier understanding of breastfeeding and the human body.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
My son loves science and of course belly buttons. I found this book that explains why mammals have them, how babies are fed in utero through an umbilical cord. There was one pic of a mom breastfeeding her baby (only the baby and a part of her breast) and some other animals nursing.

My husband is concerned that he will remember the pics when he is older and get some kind of z-x f-tish. That somehow this will be in his brain and mess him up z-exually. And maybe that he will have a hard time controlling himself when he is older.

Is he like way way off or am I clueless about this bring that I am a woman.

You may want to read it to your husband, he may learn something. Gosh, whose brain works like this?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Wow.
The frum world is so obsessed with S-x.
Maybe if you teach your son how babies are fed he'll grow up with a much healthier understanding of breastfeeding and the human body.

He said that certain things he saw, heard, read affected him when he got older. He also says that as a teen boys would talk about things so he knows it's not only him. Also oddly he thinks it's OK for a 14 year old since f-tishes develop when kids are young. As an aside I know that he watched [filth] when he was single but he was single for a while without any way to express his male desires. In don't know if this is relevant to understanding his point of view.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:51 pm
Your husband is really being kind of creepy. My kids have know what belly buttons are for since the day they asked me. Probably around age 4.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
You may want to read it to your husband, he may learn something. Gosh, whose brain works like this?

I did read it to him.

He is a very unsheltered person. I am actually more sheltered than he is.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:56 pm
Developing a $exual feti$hes takes more than just seeing photos of puppy dogs or humans being nursed.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:07 pm
He also went to a school with a very mixed crowd. There were boys who's parents got them playboy magazines. He says that he saw what happened to kids that were exposed to too much.

I can see from the responses that he is being unnecessarily anxious.

I have to figure out how to communicate this to him.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
He also went to a school with a very mixed crowd. There were boys who's parents got them playboy magazines. He says that he saw what happened to kids that were exposed to too much.

I can see from the responses that he is being unnecessarily anxious.

I have to figure out how to communicate this to him.

How is the children's book you describe ANYTHING like Playboy Magazine??

BabsB

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 12:11 am
My son is five. Just yesterday he pointed out his belly button to me and said "I know what this is for, I was connected to you. You fed me and now I have a button to remind me."

He has known about belly buttons forever but this totally random conversation was sweet and wonderful. It was so cute how he felt connected to me because of his belly button.

Also, he appropriately knows how babies are fed. (He has a younger sister whom I breastfed.) While I was breastfeeding, he would often hold a doll to his chest to "feed" the baby.

That was two years ago and he no longer mentions it or plays with dolls the same way. But, when he, G-d willing, has his own babies, I hope it brings back loving, affectionate memories for him when and if his wife breastfeeds.
(Not memories of being breastfed, but those of knowing that it is a normal, healthy, loving thing that provides for a young child.)

I have ZERO fears that I have caused a weird fixation. I think (hope) he'll be a better dad/person for it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 12:40 am
don't quite get how you can zexualize a belly button ... or a baby drinking milk

life needs to be taught in the natural flow of things ~ it's when one makes it taboo that it becomes an actual issue

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 1:59 am
I didn't know when I was younger what belly buttons came from. I did know about breast feeding though.
It depends what kind of home you are trying to have and how much your son already knows about zex.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 2:03 am
amother wrote:
He said that certain things he saw, heard, read affected him when he got older. He also says that as a teen boys would talk about things so he knows it's not only him. Also oddly he thinks it's OK for a 14 year old since f-tishes develop when kids are young. As an aside I know that he watched [filth] when he was single but he was single for a while without any way to express his male desires. In don't know if this is relevant to understanding his point of view.

This reasoning is downright bizarre.

Many cultures are very open about breastfeeding. Do these cultures encourage zxual fetishes?

Maybe you husband has some odd breastfeeding and/or bellybutton fixation and he is desperately looking for the cause?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 3:54 am
amother wrote:
I didn't know when I was younger what belly buttons came from. I did know about breast feeding though.
It depends what kind of home you are trying to have and how much your son already knows about zex.

Your post reads like belly buttons have something to do with zex. I'm confused. In my community, the letter beis even has a belly button Confused

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 3:55 am
Is it possible your husband thinks that liking breasts is a f-tish? Because it isn't - it's normal...

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 5:05 am
BabsB wrote:
My son is five. Just yesterday he pointed out his belly button to me and said "I know what this is for, I was connected to you. You fed me and now I have a button to remind me."

He has known about belly buttons forever but this totally random conversation was sweet and wonderful. It was so cute how he felt connected to me because of his belly button.

Also, he appropriately knows how babies are fed. (He has a younger sister whom I breastfed.) While I was breastfeeding, he would often hold a doll to his chest to "feed" the baby.

That was two years ago and he no longer mentions it or plays with dolls the same way. But, when he, G-d willing, has his own babies, I hope it brings back loving, affectionate memories for him when and if his wife breastfeeds.
(Not memories of being breastfed, but those of knowing that it is a normal, healthy, loving thing that provides for a young child.)

I have ZERO fears that I have caused a weird s-xual desire. I think (hope) he'll be a better dad/person for it.

So sweet! I love it. I agree 100%. I think he will be a supportive husband and a great dad because it's totally normal to him. I want my children to have positive feelings towards pregnancy (even though I have been so sick - I hope my daughter isn't too scared off!) and everything that goes along with it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 8:15 am
One day, when DD was 5, she saw a woman breastfeeding her baby. That night, she asked me about it. She said "Did I get food from your chest when I was a baby?" and I told her "Yes." She dropped the subject and went to sleep.

The next morning she climbed into my bed, gave me a kiss, and said "Thanks for the milk!"

That was the last I heard of it. No trauma, no weirdness.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jan 20 2017, 8:39 am
Sorry to be a voice of dissonance here, but I actually wouldn't read this book to my six year old son.

Nothing to do with s-xual desires, just I don't think it is a 'tznius' topic to be reading to him about.

And yes my son knows perfectly well about breastfeeding and how it works, doesn't mean that I would encourage reading material on this and belly buttons.

Jump on me. I don't mind and it won't change my view.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children