Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Marrying a stepbrother
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
How weird/odd/crazy/normal is it when a second marriage couple marries one's son to the other's daughter?

Are you asking this for any specific reason??
My friend just texted me that such a shiduch happened today!! Sounds so coincidence....

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
Are you asking this for any specific reason??
My friend just texted me that such a shiduch happened today!! Sounds so coincidence....

I wonder if we share a friend, cuz my friend also just sent me a text about such a shiddich lol.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 9:41 pm
And yes, my friend just called me that she did a shidduch with her daughter and stepson and that the wedding will be in six weeks cuz they cant live in the same house and its not fair to be sent away for longer.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 9:48 pm
I find it gross and semi incestous but to each their own.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 10:09 pm
Did the step siblings grow up together, in the same home, raised by their step parent?
If so I'd find that odd.
If they grew up seperately, less so.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 11:28 pm
The Maharsha married the daughter of the family he grew up in (the Aleph is for Aidel, the name of the woman who raised him as her own son)

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
And yes, my friend just called me that she did a shidduch with her daughter and stepson and that the wedding will be in six weeks cuz they cant live in the same house and its not fair to be sent away for longer.
Yup, that's the one!

Mazel tov to all of us! Cheers (at least she is getting a great son in law..)

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
I wonder if we share a friend, cuz my friend also just sent me a text about such a shiddich lol.

Do we????

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
Yup, that's the one!

Mazel tov to all of us! Cheers (at least she is getting a great son in law..)

Where is this all taking place?
Wondering if it's this one?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Where is this all taking place?
Wondering if it's this one?
Please, out of respect, refrain from posting any revealing details. It is not fair to her or her daughter. If you think you know who this is, fine. But keep it to yourself. I started this thread to hear if this kind of shidduch is commonplace and not to discuss people in particular. That would be downright rude.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 1:45 am
We know a family that did this. Imagining the parents walk down the chosson, leave him there under the chuppah & run back to walk down the kallah.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 4:56 am
amother wrote:
We know a family that did this. Imagining the parents walk down the chosson, leave him there under the chuppah & run back to walk down the kallah.

umm if the parents are divorced each will have 2 separate parents.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:27 am
Raisin wrote:
umm if the parents are divorced each will have 2 separate parents.

But if they were a widow and widower who got married, then she would be correct!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:30 am
Know one story where they never lived in the same house together. parents married when they were much older teens.

Another story parents married years after their kids were married.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:37 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
A few years ago I read a story about two unrelated orphans who were adopted and grew up together. When they were 18/19, they wanted to get married to each other.

The rabbis went around and around, and eventually they decided that there was absolutely nothing against halacha about it. Odd, yes, but not incestuous.

My parents actually had neighbors like this - a couple who were adopted siblings and married each other. She was a teacher in a very prominent BY high school.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:48 am
cozyblanket wrote:
But if they were a widow and widower who got married, then she would be correct!

In any case some people have the minhag if a parent is divorced or widowed that another couple walk down the chassan and kallah.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:50 am
I heard a great podcast once about a Jewish women who had a baby with Downs Syndrome and then went on to adopt several more kids with DS. When they grew up, her bio child wanted to marry one of the adopted children. The Rabbanut were fine with it and let it go ahead.

This is the link but it is three podcasts to listen to.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewis.....ory-2

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:56 am
cozyblanket wrote:

Not really....some people have grandparents, a married sibling, or an aunt/uncle walk them down if the parents are widowed.

My mother A"H passed away shortly before my youngest sister got married, and my father walked her down to the Chuppah together with my oldest sister.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 9:59 am
Raisin wrote:
I heard a great podcast once about a Jewish women who had a baby with Downs Syndrome and then went on to adopt several more kids with DS. When they grew up, her bio child wanted to marry one of the adopted children. The Rabbanut were fine with it and let it go ahead.

This is the link but it is three podcasts to listen to.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewis.....ory-2

My recollection was that the rabbanut had a lot of issues, but eventually gave in. But I could be wrong.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 23 2017, 10:05 am
Chayalle wrote:
Not really....some people have grandparents, a married sibling, or an aunt/uncle walk them down if the parents are widowed.

My mother A"H passed away shortly before my youngest sister got married, and my father walked her down to the Chuppah together with my oldest sister.
Wink

It sounds like your father wasn't remarried
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions