Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for someone who has everything?
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:01 am
A close relative did something amazing for us and constantly does kind things for us. I want to show my appreciation but they are $$$. BH. They have anything they want. They can get any experience or adventure or gadget. I tried seeing a need and filling it but the last gizmo was never opened.

What to do??

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:23 am
amother wrote:
A close relative did something amazing for us and constantly does kind things for us. I want to show my appreciation but they are $$$. BH. They have anything they want. They can get any experience or adventure or gadget. I tried seeing a need and filling it but the last gizmo was never opened.

What to do??

Donation in their honor.

LisaS

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:26 am
A heartfelt letter on how you appreciate their help. This is the most important part.

A donation to a cause that is meaningful to them is always a winner.

If you really feel the need to buy them something, I wouldn't give them an object. Maybe something like a gift certificate to the orchestra.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:09 am
Or just a nice cake or bunch of flowers.
It's just for the gesture and to show appreciation. Doesn't really matter what it is.
The card is more important.
Maybe write a nice poem. 😊

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 11:58 am
A burglar alarm Wink

dina125

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 9:53 pm
Maybe some sort of personalized photo gift - like from shutterfly?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:01 pm
dina125 wrote:
Maybe some sort of personalized photo gift - like from shutterfly?

Done. But thanks for the idea!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
A burglar alarm Wink

Very Happy
But they have one. When I said everything I meant it.
Any websites for special serving platters etc? I am grasping at straws here!

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
Very Happy

Do they have a cause that is close to their heart? A donation to that charity in their honor is really nice.
The silver cellar is a store with gorgeous giftware in Brooklyn. Probably can ship anywhere.
http://www.silvercellar.com/

MyTimeNow

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:20 pm
If they have everything, then they have all the things and probably do not want more. I'd suggest something that costs you a little effort and time, something you can make, like your most delicious (this does not automatically mean "complicated") cake or dessert, if that's possible for you. Write a sincere but simple note to accompany it. Your true appreciation will come through. Words from the heart...

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:24 pm
A newspaper from the day they were born?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
Very Happy

How about a gift certificate to an art gallery? This way, they can get something to make their home look nice, but you don't need to worry about matching their taste?

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 4:36 am
A beautiful plaque they can display similar to the type organizations give out, a framed picture with a brass plaque thanking them, or an engraved piece of silver or glass from Tiffany they can display in the their cabinet.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 5:05 am
Honestly, someone like that would probably prefer not have extra chatchkes, and they might have very specific taste. I would go with the tzedaka donation, maybe along with some nice chocolates or flowers.

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:44 am
Raisin wrote:
Honestly, someone like that would probably prefer not have extra chatchkes, and they might have very specific taste. I would go with the tzedaka donation, maybe along with some nice chocolates or flowers.

I feel the exact opposite. I hate chatchkes except for these tangible thank yous. There is a reason organizations use them successfully. People enjoy recognition.

Chabad gives these things to their richest donors who also have big homes filled to the brim with stuff. The thank you don't have to be expensive to be cherished. It merely has to be heartfelt. One family we helped out gave us a poem in a $10.00 glass frame, and that poem has a place of pride on the wall.

Tzeduka in my name is not cherished. I show DH and say oh that is nice and promptly forget about it unless I am collecting for a specific cause.

shacn

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:50 am
I would get them a beautiful platter for shabbos filled with different things they like.

Or buy them a nice dish from an expensive store. People always need more serving platters!

rachel6543

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:00 am
Are they tea or coffee drinkers? What about a selection of fun & unique teas/coffee flavors?

Otherwise I like the idea of flowers. I always love fresh flowers.

What about one of those nice fancy Havdalah candles? I remember when I visited Israel I went to a candle store and there were some really stunning Havdalah candles available. This would make for a beautiful, but yet practical gift.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:44 am
They aren't frum so havdala candles won't work. They are traditional in that if it was the right season, a Channukah or latke themed tray would work but not in January...

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:16 am
A rose bush or fruit tree for their yard?
A nameplate for the door. Maybe in Hebrew to give some privacy.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:37 am
Squishy wrote:
I feel the exact opposite. I hate chatchkes except for these tangible thank yous. There is a reason organizations use them successfully. People enjoy recognition.

Chabad gives these things to their richest donors who also have big homes filled to the brim with stuff. The thank you don't have to be expensive to be cherished. It merely has to be heartfelt. One family we helped out gave us a poem in a $10.00 glass frame, and that poem has a place of pride on the wall.

Tzeduka in my name is not cherished. I show DH and say oh that is nice and promptly forget about it unless I am collecting for a specific cause.

True, everyone is different. I personally don't love it when people give me pictures that need to be displayed. (I'm not rich but we do get a lot of gifts for other reasons) I have very particular taste. I don't care that much for tzedaka certificates either but at least no one is expecting me to display them.

A heartfelt note is always appreciated but it doesn't need to be in a frame.

OP, you could give them something pesach themed. It's not that far off.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics