Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it right to take it?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:37 am
When I was about 10-12 years old, we helped out a family who was visiting our city's hospital for treatment. My mother was heavily involved, but I was also, often going with others who were also helping them out. As a gift, they gave my mother a silver lichter candle holder (that lights the other candles). My mother only lights 3 candles, so she's fine with a match and never really pays much attention to this gift, in fact I'm the only one who EVER used it . Now that I'm an adult with my own growing family, I would appreciate that type of thing. She always lets me have things that I ask of her, but I don't want to take advantage of the situation, especially since her memory isn't what it used to be and she probably doesn't even remember them. Since she never took "ownership" of the gift, do I need to ask her for it? Is it right of me to take it without consulting my siblings (who were not really involved either)?

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
When I was about 10-12 years old, we helped out a family who was visiting our city's hospital for treatment. My mother was heavily involved, but I was also, often going with others who were also helping them out. As a gift, they gave my mother a silver lichter candle holder (that lights the other candles). My mother only lights 3 candles, so she's fine with a match and never really pays much attention to this gift, in fact I'm the only one who EVER used it . Now that I'm an adult with my own growing family, I would appreciate that type of thing. She always lets me have things that I ask of her, but I don't want to take advantage of the situation, especially since her memory isn't what it used to be and she probably doesn't even remember them. Since she never took "ownership" of the gift, do I need to ask her for it? Is it right of me to take it without consulting my siblings (who were not really involved either)?

Will it bother you to take things that your mom doesn't remember? Will your siblings be upset if they perceive you are taking things? Will you be upset if they similarly take things because your mom doesn't remember?

If the answer to any of them is yes, then you need to ask.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:46 am
for many reasons... Yes yes yes talk to your siblings before you take the candle sticks. Make that part of a bigger conversation about how to take care of your mom going forward....and yes, they do belong to your mother, even if she never used them, or cared about them.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 11:24 am
If your father is chas v shlm not living then you have to ask all your brothers if they let you. But if he is still living then just ask your mother and she can give it to you.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 11:30 am
Ask your mother.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 11:32 am
Btw the tzinders are made out of silver filled silver not real silver if they were then they would cost you $500 that what a silver guy told me.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
for many reasons... Yes yes yes talk to your siblings before you take the candle sticks. Make that part of a bigger conversation about how to take care of your mom going forward....and yes, they do belong to your mother, even if she never used them, or cared about them.

I agree she should ask, but I think you may have misunderstood...she is not talking about candlesticks but a silver lighter.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:01 pm
ask your mother before you take anything in her possession

https://www.amazon.com/Candle-.....5364U

it's like a candle lighter that holds a smaller candle to use like a shamash of sorts

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
ask your mother before you take anything in her possession

https://www.amazon.com/Candle-.....5364U

it's like a candle lighter that holds a smaller candle to use like a shamash of sorts

Thats nearly 3k! Wow!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
I agree she should ask, but I think you may have misunderstood...she is not talking about candlesticks but a silver lighter.

You are right, I did misunderstand (and my own mom uses one!). Actually I got one as an engagement present, and never used it..

If OP even thinks "should I consult my siblings?" she should consult her siblings. Better to get permission then to defend the action later (even if the defense it "I acted in accordance with Halacha). I really do think its time for a broader conversation about mom's health and what decisions she is capable of making for herself...and what the next steps are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette