Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Hebrew Name vs. Legal Name

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 11:54 am
My (non-frum) parents gave my older sister an English legal name and a corresponding Hebrew name. So let's say her English name is Vallery Bianca and her Hebrew name is Vera Batya. When we were kids she went by Vallery except in Hebrew school, where she was "Vera Batya." Since she became frum she goes by Vera, and I am guessing her kesuba says "Vera Batya," which is also what we use to daven for her. So she basically forgot her English name, but I'm pretty sure she never officially changed it with the US. Is that all correct?

Here's my real question though- me. When I was born, my parents gave me the name (for instance) Leah Amanda. When they thought of giving me a Hebrew name, they saw Leah was Hebrew, so that was already my "Hebrew name," which is also the name I always went by. So all my official documents say "Leah Amanda," but for davening and on my kesuba I'm just "Leah." My husband is all disturbed because I've been changing my last name on my official documents, and keep putting Amanda, too. He said if that's my name, too, we shlould include it in davening/kesuba, too, and if not, I should stop including it officially. But I don't like either of those options because my Hebrew name is Leah, and I like usually just being Leah, but my middle name is still my middle name, and I've never used it on a daily basis, but I kind of like having it for some reason. (I guess it's a cmforting reminder of where I came from?) My Husband is FFB Israeli, so this is a very foreign concept to him. What do you all think? Can I get away with keeping it just as a legal name? Otherwise, what would you do with such a name?

cm

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 12:04 pm
In the US, many people have different legal and Hebrew/Jewish names.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 1:06 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

little_mage

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 1:08 pm
That sounds pretty much like what happened in my family. I have a first and middle English name, but only a single Hebrew name.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 1:32 pm
I don't see why your Jewish name can't be Leah Amanda. Yiddish names are good to go as Jewish names, as are names in other European languages and names in modern Hewbrew. Why can't an English name work?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
I don't see why your Jewish name can't be Leah Amanda. Yiddish names are good to go as Jewish names, as are names in other European languages and names in modern Hewbrew. Why can't an English name work?

When I was born my father got an aliyah and the Rabbi announced my name. That's the name that landed on my Ketuba 20+ years later. Isn't that how it works?

If the name announced was Leah Amanda - then I think that's the name for Ketuba/davening.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
When I was born my father got an aliyah and the Rabbi announced my name. That's the name that landed on my Ketuba 20+ years later. Isn't that how it works?

If the name announced was Leah Amanda - then I think that's the name for Ketuba/davening.

Yes. OP's parents weren't frum so her father may not have had that Aliya. If he did then what you said is correct.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. OP's parents weren't frum so her father may not have had that Aliya. If he did then what you said is correct.

true but she went to hebrew school. I suspect at some point her parents made an announcement of her name in a synagogue. (I think the alyia isn't needed halachically)

Maybe I should rephrase the question - what is the minimal action required to establish the name of a girl (as it will be later on her ketuba)

If my name wasn't announced in shul - is my Ketuba valid?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
true but she went to hebrew school. I suspect at some point her parents made an announcement of her name in a synagogue. (I think the alyia isn't needed halachically)

Maybe I should rephrase the question - what is the minimal action required to establish the name of a girl (as it will be later on her ketuba)

If my name wasn't announced in shul - is my Ketuba valid?

I'm wondering the same. Are those of us whose dads didn't have an Aliya nameless? There must be a way to determine what someone's name is.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:39 pm
Israelis don't understand this at all -- it's a totally foreign concept to them.
Your legal name has zero bearing on your Hebrew name. If your father named you in shul, then that is your Hebrew name. If not, I would think that Leah is just fine. It's what you've been using. The middle name has no Jewish relevance unless you want it to.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 11:54 pm
Thanks everyone. Could be we'll still ask a rav, but good to know it's very possible this is all fine. I'm not actually sure what went on when I was born, but I know they didn't give me a "Hebrew name" because Leah is Hebrew.

cm

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 3:19 am
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone. Could be we'll still ask a rav, but good to know it's very possible this is all fine. I'm not actually sure what went on when I was born, but I know they didn't give me a "Hebrew name" because Leah is Hebrew.

Or, your parents gave you a Hebrew name (לאה) and and English name (Leah) that match.

My understanding is that you don't need to be named in shul, but you can ask your rabbi to be sure. You mentioned that your parents are "non-frum," but no details. Many non-Orthodox Jews do name their daughters in shul. Some choose other ceremonies or venues. Some totally secular people do nothing at all. Do you have any way of finding out, if you are concerned about this?

mo5

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 3:38 am
amother wrote:

Here's my real question though- me. When I was born, my parents gave me the name (for instance) Leah Amanda. When they thought of giving me a Hebrew name, they saw Leah was Hebrew, so that was already my "Hebrew name," which is also the name I always went by. So all my official documents say "Leah Amanda," but for davening and on my kesuba I'm just "Leah." My husband is all disturbed because I've been changing my last name on my official documents, and keep putting Amanda, too. He said if that's my name, too, we shlould include it in davening/kesuba, too, and if not, I should stop including it officially. But I don't like either of those options because my Hebrew name is Leah, and I like usually just being Leah, but my middle name is still my middle name, and I've never used it on a daily basis, but I kind of like having it for some reason. (I guess it's a cmforting reminder of where I came from?) My Husband is FFB Israeli, so this is a very foreign concept to him. What do you all think? Can I get away with keeping it just as a legal name? Otherwise, what would you do with such a name?

I think your husband is mixing up a kesuba with a get. On a get, all nicknames, English names and any name the person might be known b are written.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions