Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
To stay at current job or accept this offer

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:22 pm
I currently work 30 hrs a week in a frum organization a five min walk from my house. I am overqualified for my job and there is no room for growth. I do not enjoy what I do. it is a nice big social frum office and flexible. I am able to drop kids ofd in morn and pick them up after school. I have three little kids. if a kid has a mommy and me or well visit I leave work for an hour, everything is so local. pay is 45k.

I was offered a different job in a frum company. I will enjoy the new job much more and there is room for growth. the office is an hr away. I would have to be in the office three days a week 9-5 and friday plus one other day I can work from home. I would have to find a babysitter to pick up my kids and be with them till 6 on the three days that im away. I would love the day that I would be working from home and can arrange appointments.for that day. pay is 65k.

I would only end up bringing home like 100 more a month at the new job though because of increased in childcare, taxes, insuranxr and id lose the earned income credit. do I take the new job where I.will be happier jobwise or do I.stay at my current job which is down the block and ill be able to be home with kids more.

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:33 pm
You will have to make a list of all the benefits and costs TO YOU.

Without a question, I would keep the current position to spend time with my kids. I make a fraction of what I made when I worked full time, and I stayed home during their early years.

A big factor would be DH's income. Do you NEED the future growth potential of your job?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:41 pm
Depends how much you don't like your job.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:47 pm
I agree with the rest, I would stay at current job, assuming u don't hate it, with 3 kids u have ur hands full... n although u assume the new place would be more interesting n it might, there r no guarantees

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:48 pm
I would have written exactly what Squishy did.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 8:16 pm
Just to give some point of view. I have a job which I have to travel to and its not boring. There is also room to grow but its not flexible. I can't go to my kids functions etc also, its hard finding babysitter for part time, to pick up kids from bus stop and stay with them until I arrive. Its also hard for me.

I would take a boring job I used to work at, with much lower pay to be able to be with my kids in the evenings etc. However I can't leave my job becmy dhs job is low pay.

So, for you, do you feel the need to climb up the career Ladder and let someone else be there in the evenings??its hard but maybe its what you want !! Also, it depends on what your dhs income is like if you need to take this only to work your WA up??

This is not about a raise in salary because the 100 dollar a month is not so much if you'll have extra hours plus need to pay babysitter and have travel time!!

So make a list of pro and con and see what's better/more important for you??
Hatzlacha

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 9:36 pm
op here. I work in a really nice big frum office now but I really do not like what I do and dont like how because its a frum org if u wear pants ur title is administrator and a skirt is "one of the secretaries." I realize if im ever going to leave and join corporate america im going to have to work full time. this job is full time but one day plus friday is home so it allows more flexibility than a fulltime job closer to home. I am 29 yrs old. I dont want to look back in 15 years when im still doing same thimg for pretty much same measly.salary and say WHY? and regret that I didnt take.the jump when I.was younger and more hireable and id have.advanced...

rachel6543

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 9:54 pm
I personally would not like a job that is an hour away, I don't like long commutes.

However, if you would be MUCH MUCH happier in the other job, I would seriously consider it.

A few years ago I was not in a good job situation and was desperately looking for another job. The job I had was close to home and my child's school, but it was no longer a healthy work environment. There was one company an hr commute away that I interviewed at and I was a serious candidate for the position. For various reasons I didn't get the offer, but if I did I would have taken it because that particular company was a good fit for me and I honestly think I would have been really happy working there.

However, in the end, Hashem had other plans for me, & I found another job very close to home and I'm B'H very happily employed.

farm

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:54 pm
It sounds like you can probably accept the new job and risk hating it and find something similar to your old one if necessary. Really just guessing, but it sounds like what you do now is not very specialized and it sounds like your heart is telling you to go for this new opportunity. So go for it. Hopefully it will be everything you think it is and more. But if you find the adjustment or commute or hours too impossible to manage after giving it time (kol haschalos kashos), will it be easy enough to find a similar arrangement to what you have now? That lessens the risk. And you won't spend the rest of your working years wondering what if you had jumped at this opportunity...
good luck making the decision!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics