Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Boro Park Groceries vs. Newspapers-what do you make of this?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 8:41 pm
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

What do you think of this? I was walking home and saw a truck selling papers and thought that was a little funny... now I see why. Do you think this is really because stores are losing money because of Bingo? How do you think this will end?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 8:57 pm
Nothing to do with Bingo. The stores say they barely make $ from selling newspapers. They want to make more profit from it.

real israeli

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 9:03 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Nothing to do with Bingo. The stores say they barely make $ from selling newspapers. They want to make more profit from it.

It's interesting to me that they would complain about lack of profit - the way I see it is it's no risk and all gain for them. Anything that wasn't sold they don't pay for. Between the 15 types they sell they sell at least 200 copies times 45 cents profit per piece = $90 minimum each week. These papers are kept near the entrance or the door - not taking up shelf space that would otherwise go for food.
Why is it any less profitable than plates or milk or yogurts.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 9:06 pm
I'm still marveling that Der Yid and Blatt are on the same kol korah/pashkevill/PSA/marketing poster as the rest.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:22 pm
anyone else find it ironic that the magazine folks wrote "in term" instead of "in turn"? LOL!

lifesagift

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:29 pm
At least ''twas a nice weather today... they can't stand outside every day. I like how Landau's signed, they don't carry any of these papers anyway

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 3:02 am
real israeli wrote:
It's interesting to me that they would complain about lack of profit - the way I see it is it's no risk and all gain for them. Anything that wasn't sold they don't pay for. Between the 15 types they sell they sell at least 200 copies times 45 cents profit per piece = $90 minimum each week. These papers are kept near the entrance or the door - not taking up shelf space that would otherwise go for food.
Why is it any less profitable than plates or milk or yogurts.

This is what the groceries wrote:

2. There are significant labor costs in maintain the merchandise. The magazines and newspapers have to be re-stocked regularly, and weather conditions must be carefully monitored.

3. Space in Boro Park is at a premium. The rents that the grocery stores pay is very high per square foot.

4. The racks themselves had cost the grocers on average $2000. This is significant.

5. Many customers have accounts that are paid, at best, once per month. The vendors require payments within a week.

6. There is a credit card charge that the grocery stores have to pay as well.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:10 am
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_an.....s.htm
Do you know there were stores that charged me taxes on newspapers?!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:29 am
It could be it's a paid ad for Bingo. It could be not. But something is missing. I don't even read any news on the web. Someone has a goal here and I am trying to figure it out. It is very possible that sales in newspapers went down for two reasons:
1. Electronic -email
2. The prices went up
The truck person can get arrested/fined too, for not having permits for selling on a sidewalk.
When I was a girl, we shopped at a certain grocery store. We used to have an account there to write down what we owed (ofshraben). but one thing he was strict about was that we paid for the newspapers. Grocery stores did get stricter with writing down on account. Writing down on account isn't an issue only in BP it's in Lakewood, wmsbg and all over including Israel. (Which has nothing to do with this post really lol)

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:41 am
I dont believe these are legitimate. Its off. Spelling, grammar, the font is unprofessional - people who are in the business of publishing would know better.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:48 am
watergirl wrote:
I dont believe these are legitimate. Its off. Spelling, grammar, the font is unprofessional - people who are in the business of publishing would know better.

What don't you think is legitimate?

I can vouch that at least three of those Boro Park groceries that were listed were not selling newspapers this week. The racks were empty and there was a sign on the racks stating that they will not be selling them until the publishers make it worthwhile for them to do so. There was also an ad in one of the free weeklies from all the publishers stating that new locations for buying the publications will be announced. I was trying to understand what is going on but once I read the YWN article it was clear.

About the spelling and grammar, do you ever read the Ami? The last time I did-it looked pretty similar.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:57 am
amother wrote:
4. The racks themselves had cost the grocers on average $2000. This is significant.

The racks were bought years ago.

sourstix

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:59 am
Are you kidding? I looked at the picture the yeshiva world put up, it's legit. I recognize the streets of Brooklyn. I recently moved from there. Yes this is legit. If the groceries are upset about bingo, how is rising prices on newspapers gonna help them? Barking up the wrong tree.

I think all these groceries make a fortune. They are way overpriced in so many items. Except for bingo, Krm, rosners, .moishes. Everyone else is scared they will have less money in their pocket

Last edited by sourstix on Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
The racks were bought years ago.

And so what?
(Besides that not everyone bought them years ago- my grocery remodeled and bought them this year. Gourmet Glatt is only open for a couple of years although I feel more sympathy for the smaller corner groceries than the large supermarkets. )

sourstix

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:04 am
I don't have rachmanus on groceries that charge so much money. That people are not capable of paying. This is the wrong way of doing things

Most of the groceries don't write down in Lakewood . The ones who do are severely expensive. I don't.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:14 am
Why is Bingo being blamed for this?

Personally I dont see any bargains there, but why is Bingo being blamed?

sourstix

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:18 am
They are competition for everyone. They are supposedly cheaper then everyone. Not so?

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:21 am
sourstix wrote:
Are you kidding? I looked at the picture the yeshiva world put up, it's legit. I recognize the streets of Brooklyn. I recently moved from there. Yes this is legit. If the groceries are upset about bingo, how is rising prices on newspapers gonna help them? Barking up the wrong tree.

I think all these groceries make a fortune. They are way overpriced in so many items. Except for bingo, Krm, rosners, .moishes. Everyone else is scared they will have less money in their pocket

I don't think that the small corner groceries are making a lot of money. They pay a fortune in rent, don't get the food deals that the supermarkets do because they're not getting such large quantities and people have large unpaid balances.

Last edited by cnc on Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:33 am
sourstix wrote:
They are competition for everyone. They are supposedly cheaper then everyone. Not so?

NO!

Maybe slightly on a few items, but not on most! Other stores and specials by far outdo them!

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
NO!

Maybe slightly on a few items, but not on most! Other stores and specials by far outdo them!

In the beginning, the prices were way cheaper than anyone else.
I have a feeling that slowly and quietly they raised/are raising some prices.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics