Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Rehire babysitter

Candy Cane

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:02 am
I just had a baby and will be looking for a full time babysitter when I go back to work. I haven't started looking yet. I had an old babysitter who babysat for my older son (who is now almost 3) from when he was about 4 months until almost 2 1/2. She left us in middle of last summer after I told her that my son would be going to day care this year and we wouldn't need her. I haven't heard from her since then, that is until a few weeks ago when she randomly texted me how I was doing and if I had a baby yet (she knew I was due around this time). Anyways to make it short, she wants to now babysit for my newborn. I don't know what to do. I will list the pros and cons of having her babysit for us.
Pros:
1. she was a really great babysitter, especially for newborns and younger kids (she claims she used to be a baby nurse). Once my son turned 2, we didn't feel she was good anymore- he was too much for her to handle and needed to be constantly entertained which is why we decided to send him to day care, but she's great with babies.
2. I wouldn't need to start the babysitter search again.
3. I know her already and won't need to get used to someone else.
4. She's pretty flexible (can stay late, which is really important for me).

Cons:
1. I do not like the way she left us. It was in middle of the summer and once she found out I wasn't going to need her when the school year started, she just left. I think we told her on a Wednesday or Thursday (we still needed her for a few more weeks) and she actually texted my husband a few days later on Monday morning that she won't be coming anymore as she is starting school. Whether she really did go back to school (says she was going for nurses aide) is unknown to me and she may have used that as an excuse to leave. In any event, if she was going to school, why does she want the babysitting job back? She sounds desperate for the job (she called me twice and then texted me today after I didn't answer her calls).
2. She would sometimes come late (10, 15 min) and give us random excuses (bus, train, her daughter not feeling well etc...). This wasn't the norm but after using her for awhile this started happening.

I would appreciate any feedback!

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 3:21 pm
Personally I would be really bothered about the fact that she just left without ANY warning and did so by texting. I understand that's normally method of communication, but it's also the method of communicating like she was cutting off your relationship. Like she didn't care enough to call and let you know and give you notice. I also understand if she was upset like if she had assumed she'd have a job with you guys and then you told her she wouldn't (it sounds like you told her a few weeks before the new school year is that so?). But you guys gave her warning, she gave you none.
Just sounds a bit immature or uncaring to me.
So as I said that would really bother me. BUT you really liked her and it's prob. hard to find someone new. Are you worried that she'll quit on you again or just upset and it's hard to get over the upset feeling?
(btw if you're curious if she ever went back to school or not why don't you just text her back and be like "I thought you were no longer available to babysit because you're back at school" and see what she says")

Candy Cane

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 4:27 pm
Lucky14--- yes we told her a few weeks before the start of the school year. We were actually nervous she was going to start looking for another job once we told her we wouldn't be needing her and then quit on us so we told her with not much time, but yes, she gave us no warning.
To answer your other question- I'm not worried she will quit again on us. It's more that I'm upset with what she did. Upset enough that I won't hire her? That's a tough question!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:19 pm
I don't think your concerns should be with how she handles a 2 year old ... cause that is 2 years into the future

however, someone leaving without notice when you gave her both ample time to find a job doesn't sit well with me

besides why is she stalking your belly ?!?!?!

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:34 pm
I also just got a text from a former cleaning lady, out of the blue how I am. It was very weird because when she worked by me she was always late, didn't show half the time and then also made a random excuse & disappeared. I did not reply to her text, since I have no desire to go thru all that again, even though she was pretty good.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 3:08 am
Candy Cane wrote:
Lucky14--- yes we told her a few weeks before the start of the school year. We were actually nervous she was going to start looking for another job once we told her we wouldn't be needing her and then quit on us so we told her with not much time, but yes, she gave us no warning.
To answer your other question- I'm not worried she will quit again on us. It's more that I'm upset with what she did. Upset enough that I won't hire her? That's a tough question!

I'm sorry but that's really mean. You deliberately didn't tell her with enough time to find another job? How cruel! Some people depend on jobs to be able to feed their children....

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

SYA

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 9:46 am
baby12x wrote:
I'm sorry but that's really mean. You deliberately didn't tell her with enough time to find another job? How cruel! Some people depend on jobs to be able to feed their children....

The way I understood she gave her more then four weeks warning. Mid summer (four weeks plus another week or two till school starts). Most jobs require 2 weeks advance notice, occasionally 4 weeks. That is enough time to find another job. Many people are looking then for babysitters for the coming year.

She did nothing wrong by not telling her at the beginning of the summer. The babysitter would have left her stranded then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics