Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Accepting Job Offer Pregnant

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 1:28 pm
I am 24 weeks pregnant and a new graduate nurse. I interviewed for a nursing hospital position at 23 weeks pregnant and got a call today that I got the job. I am so excited and happy and grateful to Hashem for this opportunity. The job includes a 16 week orientation process and begins when I will be 31 weeks pregnant. I want to accept the job offer but want advice on how to tell them. Should I accept the job on the phone and then inform her of my pregnancy right after? Or should I accept the job on the phone and discuss the pregnancy in person when I sign paperwork.
I don't want them to take away the job offer because I will have the baby and need to take off during the 16 week program, but I'm hoping they will not legally be able to take it away and that they can extend the program for me.
Any advice would be helpful.

agreer

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 1:33 pm
Honestly, I think this isn't the right time for the job. I would not be surprised at all of they rescind the offer.

I don't know what the legalities are, but I think you should tell them in person. If you come prepared with a plan, I.e. when you intend to return to work and how you plan to make up the orientation, maybe it won't be so bad.

On the other hand, if you have no plan, and you'll have to repeat the orientation program anyway, what is the point? I think it'll just create bad blood.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
I am 24 weeks pregnant and a new graduate nurse. I interviewed for a nursing hospital position at 23 weeks pregnant and got a call today that I got the job. I am so excited and happy and grateful to Hashem for this opportunity. The job includes a 16 week orientation process and begins when I will be 31 weeks pregnant. I want to accept the job offer but want advice on how to tell them. Should I accept the job on the phone and then inform her of my pregnancy right after? Or should I accept the job on the phone and discuss the pregnancy in person when I sign paperwork.
I don't want them to take away the job offer because I will have the baby and need to take off during the 16 week program, but I'm hoping they will not legally be able to take it away and that they can extend the program for me.
Any advice would be helpful.

Are you in the US? What state are you in? How much maternity leave are you planning to take? Can you work in the hospital if you miss some of the 16 week program?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 1:48 pm
I am living in New York. Hospital RN jobs are really hard and competitive to get in New York and have been applying throughout my entire pregnancy and finally got this offer. I am aware I will not get FMLA or paid leave. I will plan to take 4-6 weeks off (assume it's unpaid). I am unsure if they will let me miss some of the program but I hope they extend the program for me because of my pregnancy..

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 2:11 pm
Are you sure you will be able to stand for a 12 hr shift 4 weeks post partum?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
I am living in New York. Hospital RN jobs are really hard and competitive to get in New York and have been applying throughout my entire pregnancy and finally got this offer. I am aware I will not get FMLA or paid leave. I will plan to take 4-6 weeks off (assume it's unpaid). I am unsure if they will let me miss some of the program but I hope they extend the program for me because of my pregnancy..

Not a legal opinion.

The job offer cannot be rescinded because you are pregnant. It can be rescinded because you cannot do the job for which you were to be hired. Think of it this way. A job can't refuse to hire you because you're an observant Jew. But you couldn't apply for a job that states that the hours are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, 11 am to 8 pm, and then claim you're being discriminated against because they won't hire you because you can't work Friday afternoons or Saturday. Its not the you're observant; its that you can't do the job.

In this case, you are required to attend a 16-week orientation program. Presumably, this is not one-on-one but, rather part of a group training or orientation. You will not be able to attend 1/4 to 1/3 of that orientation. In that case, the employer is not obligated to take the time, expense and difficulty of having a special orientation for you (which would probably encompass all weeks after you give birth, as you probably can't just go back in, having missed 4 to 6 weeks). So they would be entitled to rescind.

If the orientation or training were one on one, it would probably be different.

If I were you, I'd be completely honest and upfront. Tell them you're pregnant, and due during the anticipated orientation. Ask what accommodations can be made. Be open to a later start date with another orientation group, if that's possible.

Or maybe they'll be fine with it, given that they probably knew you were pregnant when you interviewed.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 3:45 pm
I would disclose before I accept the job, and trust that since I'm a superstar candidate they will work with me to make up the missing 6 weeks of orientation.

I would also as a Rav.

mille

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 5:03 pm
Be honest and you may be surprised. I am adjacent to a lot of recruitment activity where I currently work, and there are a LOT of situations where we hire currently pregnant women who do not qualify for maternity leave (at our institution, you qualify after 6 months, not the 1 year requirement for FMLA), but we make accommodations and it's fine. Good employers know that by not making a big deal out of it and being reasonably accommodating, you will not miss out on great candidates and you encourage your employees to come back and stay with you.

Good luck OP! I would disclose it to them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics