Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Attn: mental health counselors in PA

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:46 am
Please explain to me the process of licensure in the state of Pennsylvania? The information I found on the official website isn't very clear. I have the educational requirements (master's degree from a CACREP-accredited program). I still need the 3,000 clinical hours and the NCE (exam), and I am coming from out of state. (I am not yet licensed in any state.)

So far I know I will need the exam and the hours. And I know that the hours will need to be done under proper supervision.

What comes first, second, third...? How do I go about finding a job that can provide the hours and supervision? Does PA have a "provisional license" or "intern status" or something similar? What is it called and how do I start?

Thank you very much for your time.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 12:45 pm
I'd like to know too.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:26 pm
OP here. I actually just called the licensing board and this is what I found out, between the call and the website:

1. The requirements for the LPC are: meet the educational requirements, pass an exam (for counseling I believe it is the NCE, but there are other options as well for related fields, and meet the supervised experience requirements (3,000 hours). There are also general requirements like good moral character and no felonies within 10 years.

2. There is no order necessary, other than that the experience requirements have to come after at least 48 credits of your master's degree.

3. The 3,000 hours must be accrued between 2-6 years, and there are regulations such as no more than 1800/year or less than 500/year, and the supervisor must qualify as an approved supervisor. (More info on website)

4. There is no provisional license because PA law doesn't require one, as long as you are not representing yourself as an LPC before you are licensed. You must disclose your not-yet-licensed status to your clients, and work under an approved supervisor.

5. There are fees and applications and other paperwork, but it seems pretty straightforward. You have to have all 3 requirements (education, experience hours, and exam) in order to apply for the license.

Hope this helps! :-)

(If anyone has anything to add, please do.)

Good Shabbos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics