Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The president's Holocaust remembrance statement

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 3:14 pm
"It is with a heavy heart and somber mind that we remember and honor the victims, survivors, heroes of the Holocaust. It is impossible to fully fathom the depravity and horror inflicted on innocent people by Nazi terror.

"Yet, we know that in the darkest hours of humanity, light shines the brightest. As we remember those who died, we are deeply grateful to those who risked their lives to save the innocent.

"In the name of the perished, I pledge to do everything in my power throughout my Presidency, and my life, to ensure that the forces of evil never again defeat the powers of good. Together, we will make love and tolerance prevalent throughout the world."

http://www.miamiherald.com/new.....k=cpy

youngishbear

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 6:16 pm
Jared and Ivanka must not have read it before its release.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 6:58 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Jared and Ivanka must not have read it before its release.

What makes you say that?

youngishbear

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:04 pm
seeker wrote:
What makes you say that?

I was referring to the article. Apparently presidential statements on Holocaust Remembrance Day referred explicitly to antisemitism and Jewish victims. It is a bit odd that Trump's wouldn't, with his Jewish family connections.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:14 pm
Oh, I didn't read the article, only the statement quoted here. I think it was pretty well done.
The holocaust was overwhelmingly anti-semitic but it did not only target Jews. I think broadening the message makes sense at this point in history. Anti-semitism continues to be a problem, but if you make it about Jews everyone's going to tune out. The Holocaust also targeted homosexuals and people with intellectual disabilities, but that's not the point either.

TBH when I saw all the "Never Again" trope going around the internet yesterday, I just felt it was so hypocritical to post this when we know there is mass murder going on all over the Middle East and at various points in Africa. How shortsighted to make it all about anti-Semitism.

The world shouldn't care about the Holocaust vis-a-vis Jews, but rather as a matter of humanity. For people with no connection to Jews, it doesn't matter that Jews were being murdered - what matters is that millions of PEOPLE of any type were being murdered, and that is not acceptable in any time, place, or culture.

GreenEyes26

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:17 pm
seeker wrote:
Oh, I didn't read the article, only the statement quoted here. I think it was pretty well done.
The holocaust was overwhelmingly anti-semitic but it did not only target Jews. I think broadening the message makes sense at this point in history. Anti-semitism continues to be a problem, but if you make it about Jews everyone's going to tune out. The Holocaust also targeted homosexuals and people with intellectual disabilities, but that's not the point either.

TBH when I saw all the "Never Again" trope going around the internet yesterday, I just felt it was so hypocritical to post this when we know there is mass murder going on all over the Middle East and at various points in Africa. How shortsighted to make it all about anti-Semitism.

The world shouldn't care about the Holocaust vis-a-vis Jews, but rather as a matter of humanity. For people with no connection to Jews, it doesn't matter that Jews were being murdered - what matters is that millions of PEOPLE of any type were being murdered, and that is not acceptable in any time, place, or culture.

Excellently said.

youngishbear

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:23 pm
I agree, seeker.

I was wondering what Jewish Trump voters (who were happy about his Jewish connections) thought about it, though.

Jeanette

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:28 pm
Given all the craziness in the Trump administration the wording of his Holocaust statement hardly deserves a mention. However, for someone who made race-baiting a centerpiece of his campaign he suddenly embraced universalism when it comes to the Holocaust.

Maya

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:41 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I agree, seeker.

I was wondering what Jewish Trump voters (who were happy about his Jewish connections) thought about it, though.

This.

marina

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:10 pm
seeker wrote:

Except if they're Syrians. Then it's okay.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 10:03 pm
marina wrote:

Unfortunately, this must be what Obama thought when he failed to act after Assad crossed the "red line" that Obama demarcated.

Now the crisis is 10x worse than it would have been if the US had kept its promises. The issue could have been at least partially resolved in Syria, without the world having the feel pressure to take in impossible-to-vet terrorists hiding among millions of refugees.

An ounce of prevention...

peanut butter c

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:41 am
marina wrote:

In the last few years I've heard liberals (and Muslims) say that the holocaust was just "white-on-white" crime, not Nazis killing Jews. While I don't agree with it, I will say that what is going on in Syria is just Muslims killing other Muslims. So there are dozens of Muslim countries who can accept Muslim refugees from Syria. Why is that not happening? Why aren't other Muslim countries coming to the aid of Syrian Muslims who are being persecuted by their fellow Syrian Muslims? And if Muslim countries won't support fellow Muslims then why is America expected to help them before assisting American citizens?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 6:46 am
The following is obviously biased so take with a grain of salt but note that the bolded is true.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/e.....-hand

Bannon's Deathly Hand

Gerald Herbert
Josh Marshall
JANUARY 28, 2017,

The White House announced today that the decision not to mention Jews or anti-Semitism in its announcement commemorating Holocaust remembrance day was intentional. According to White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks, the statement made no mentions of Jews out of respect for the non-Jews who died in Nazi labor camps and death camps during World War II. Hicks told CNN: "Despite what the media reports, we are an incredibly inclusive group and we took into account all of those who suffered."

It is true that millions died under the Nazis who were not Jews. They included targeted ethnic groups like Roma (Gypsies), homosexuals, left-wing dissidents, people with disabilities, etc. But it has long been a trope of Holocaust deniers and white nationalists to insist that Jews were only incidentally targeted.

In any case, there are no word limits in presidential statements. A more logical and worthwhile approach would be to note the various groups who were victimized. This isn't accidental. The new administration is riddled with anti-Semites and those who want to cater to anti-Semites.

Laiya

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 7:40 am
I find it concerning and I don't know why Trump wouldn't have mentioned Jews.

Obama mentioned that six million Jews were specifically targeted for extinction and killed in the Holocaust. But then Obama turned around and betrayed Israel as one of his final acts in office.

We will have to watch and see how things play out.

sushilover

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:02 am
youngishbear wrote:
I agree, seeker.

I'm a Jewish Trump voter, and the statement seems really dumb to me. But leave it to the media and democrats to blow it up out of proportion and call it holocaust denial Rolling Eyes

marina

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:26 am
DrMom wrote:
Unfortunately, this must be what Obama thought when he failed to act after Assad crossed the "red line" that Obama demarcated.

Now the crisis is 10x worse than it would have been if the US had kept its promises. The issue could have been at least partially resolved in Syria, without the world having the feel pressure to take in impossible-to-vet terrorists hiding among millions of refugees.

An ounce of prevention...

Not going to disagree that we could have done more. All the more so, our obligations are greater not less.

marina

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:27 am
peanut butter c wrote:
In the last few years I've heard liberals (and Muslims) say that the holocaust was just "white-on-white" crime, not Nazis killing Jews. While I don't agree with it, I will say that what is going on in Syria is just Muslims killing other Muslims. So there are dozens of Muslim countries who can accept Muslim refugees from Syria. Why is that not happening? Why aren't other Muslim countries coming to the aid of Syrian Muslims who are being persecuted by their fellow Syrian Muslims? And if Muslim countries won't support fellow Muslims then why is America expected to help them before assisting American citizens?

They are. Read up on Syria and who is fighting against ISIS.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics