Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training method 10 month old
1  2  Next

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 7:08 pm
I posted a little bit ago about my nine month old who was not falling asleep and doing naps easily. Thanks to the advice I got I took out Marc Weissbluth's book and started putting her on an age appropriate schedule. She started falling asleep more easily and sleeping more hours total.

She still wakes up all night crying starting two hours after she goes down and I basically nurse her all night. I am not sleeping well and need to be in bed by 9:00 in order to function properly the next day. I am not sure I want to do CIO.

I am trying to figure out the best sleep training method for her and me. She sleeps in my room. I am very sleep deprived so don't want to do something that will take too much physical and emotional energy from me. I also have a really hard time hearing my baby cry and my husband offered to do it over the weekend but I need to be able to keep it up. which is the best method for a baby who sleeps on my breast and wakes up about 10-15 times a night.

1. Should I keep her on a good schedule for a while and she will stop waking up?

2. Anyone tried CIO and their child was traumatized?

3. Anyone tried the PUPD method with success? Or failure?

4. Anyone tried Ferber with their baby in their room? Was it very hard emotionally bec you need to keep leaving a crying baby?

pesek zman

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:24 pm
Is moving her out of your room an option? (Ideally, long term, but if not, in the time you are sleep training?)

Why are you nursing her all night? Because it comforts her back to sleep?

We did Ferber but baby didn't sleep in same room. Then again, I can't imagine doing CIO if baby was right there either: even with ear plugs you wouldn't be able to sleep.

I needed my husband's support and assistance through sleep training. I sent him in during Ferber: I couldn't bear it. Take his help. Ideally do it over a long holiday weekend. By weekend's end, baby might be trained.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:45 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Is moving her out of your room an option? (Ideally, long term, but if not, in the time you are sleep training?)

Why are you nursing her all night? Because it comforts her back to sleep?

We did Ferber but baby didn't sleep in same room. Then again, I can't imagine doing CIO if baby was right there either: even with ear plugs you wouldn't be able to sleep.

I needed my husband's support and assistance through sleep training. I sent him in during Ferber: I couldn't bear it. Take his help. Ideally do it over a long holiday weekend. By weekend's end, baby might be trained.
!

She is not on solids yet so want to nurse her twice in middle of the night which means that I can't kick her out yet.

Right now she nurses for comfort. She seems to not be able to sleep. In better times nursing helps her fall back asleep. In worse times she just cries and cries. What is interesting is that she usually does a two hour stretch first.

Maybe I should do baby whisperer PUPD.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:53 pm
Just know you are not alone. My baby is older than yours..about nearing her first birthday and like yours is in my room still with no option of moving her out. Goes in nicely at 7 up 2 hours later and multiple times through the night. I have no proper relationship with my spouse or friends and getting very desperate for some sleep!!

Why don't you give your baby food during the day? Maybe he's hungry? Teething?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:56 pm
I don't believe in CIO, although I developed my own version of sleep training which did involve crying. I also only did it when I got so tired that I was afraid I would have a car accident. I did it at a later age though around 14 months, and I just did it again with my 17 month old (I should have done it sooner).

The baby was not in the the room with me. They were in a separate room for a few months already, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Basically, the first night was torture, when the baby woke up I went into the room and hugged and kissed him/her, but did not pick up. He/she screamed, it was horrible. I sang songs, hugged them, eventually sat next to the crib and and just rubbed them. This whole process usually took about 45 minutes, and eventually they fell back asleep. I didn't leave the crib until the baby was sleeping. With my last baby I actually slept on the floor next to the crib b/c the baby woke up as I left the room. I did this for a few nights, (multiple times a night), each night there was less and less time of crying. One of my kids took three nights, and then slept through the night. Some kids took longer (if I did it at a later age), but usually not more than one week or ten days.

I really hated doing it but it was the only way I could think of not just leaving them to scream, but not nursing in the middle of the night.
Just really prepare yourself ahead of time to be a zombie, start on a weekend when you don't have to be anywhere the next morning.
Good Luck!

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:58 pm
I think I did pupd at around that age and it was very successful. It can take about a week and you need to be consistent. My current baby is very difficult and I tried doing CIO with pupd one night at 6 months. I was not consistent and he cried for 2 hours until I gave up. However, he goes to sleep earlier since then. So I guess it was a mixed success.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
Just know you are not alone. My baby is older than yours..about nearing her first birthday and like yours is in my room still with no option of moving her out. Goes in nicely at 7 up 2 hours later and multiple times through the night. I have no proper relationship with my spouse or friends and getting very desperate for some sleep!!

Why don't you give your baby food during the day? Maybe he's hungry? Teething?

Mine is similar. She will be one in three weeks. She is a horrible eater and does not eat enoug during the day. She goes in also around seven and then has a bottle between nine and ten dn one more at some point during the night. Some nights she is up just to eat and some nights it takes her longer to fall back asleep and she may wake up at other points as well.

She is in my room until the weather gets warmer and I can move her into my living room which gets pretty cold at night.

My problem though is I feel I cant night train her bec she is hungry. I wish I knew how to get her to eat more during the day.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 8:59 pm
I just want to add that two of my kids slept through the night after 12 months without any intervention.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:01 pm
if she is 10 months old, then why is she not on solids yet??? maybe she is just very hungry!

pesek zman

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
!

She is not on solids yet so want to nurse her twice in middle of the night which means that I can't kick her out yet.

Right now she nurses for comfort. She seems to not be able to sleep. In better times nursing helps her fall back asleep. In worse times she just cries and cries. What is interesting is that she usually does a two hour stretch first.

Maybe I should do baby whisperer PUPD.

Why isn't baby on solids yet?

I'm sorry but perhaps I'm missing something. You want baby to sleep through the night but you also want to feed baby twice through the night. Aren't these contradictory?

And even if you are nursing overnight, you can still move baby out of your room? Can't you just get out of bed and go to baby's room to feed?

You can't have it all. At least, not at the same time

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:28 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Why isn't baby on solids yet?

I'm sorry but perhaps I'm missing something. You want baby to sleep through the night but you also want to feed baby twice through the night. Aren't these contradictory?

And even if you are nursing overnight, you can still move baby out of your room? Can't you just get out of bed and go to baby's room to feed?

You can't have it all. At least, not at the same time

According to Marc Weissbluth's book you can sleep train and still nurse at night. As of now she is literally on my breast all night. I can't get up to go to the bathroom. She is not on solids bec she had reactions. Working on it but till than we both still need our sleep.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
I don't believe in CIO, although I developed my own version of sleep training which did involve crying. I also only did it when I got so tired that I was afraid I would have a car accident. I did it at a later age though around 14 months, and I just did it again with my 17 month old (I should have done it sooner).

The baby was not in the the room with me. They were in a separate room for a few months already, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Basically, the first night was torture, when the baby woke up I went into the room and hugged and kissed him/her, but did not pick up. He/she screamed, it was horrible. I sang songs, hugged them, eventually sat next to the crib and and just rubbed them. This whole process usually took about 45 minutes, and eventually they fell back asleep. I didn't leave the crib until the baby was sleeping. With my last baby I actually slept on the floor next to the crib b/c the baby woke up as I left the room. I did this for a few nights, (multiple times a night), each night there was less and less time of crying. One of my kids took three nights, and then slept through the night. Some kids took longer (if I did it at a later age), but usually not more than one week or ten days.

I really hated doing it but it was the only way I could think of not just leaving them to scream, but not nursing in the middle of the night.
Just really prepare yourself ahead of time to be a zombie, start on a weekend when you don't have to be anywhere the next morning.
Good Luck!

I like this idea. I think it can work well since she is in my room anyway. Did this help them become good sleepers or just to cut out the nursing. Bec right now patting her to sleep for about an hour and she is still not fully asleep. Need a method that works on a baby that even nursing is not always effective to help her sleep.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:39 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I think I did pupd at around that age and it was very successful. It can take about a week and you need to be consistent. My current baby is very difficult and I tried doing CIO with pupd one night at 6 months. I was not consistent and he cried for 2 hours until I gave up. However, he goes to sleep earlier since then. So I guess it was a mixed success.

Is PUPD not as successful with very colicky babies? Starting to think that for colicky babies maybe the only thing that works is CIO.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 9:48 pm
I did this at an age when I knew it wasn't necessary to nurse at night anymore. Many babies don't need to nurse at night by 10 months, but you would need to check with your dr. I guess if you have issues with solid food.
My babies weren't waking up from hunger. Sometimes I would feed them a ton of foods that they loved, all day, and they still woke. And after sleep training they didn't wake, even if they didn't eat that much in the day.
The hardest part is not picking them up to nurse. I guess it's conditioning in a way, once they realize they wont' get nursed, they don't wake up.
If there's a real chance that they're hungry, it might not work.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 10:02 pm
PUPD did not work with my baby. It got him more awake and upset. It did not calm him down at all.

Why do you still want to nurse at night? Is your baby underweight? I stopped nursing my baby at night before he started solids.

We did CIO with my baby. He's in the same room with us, though not in my bed. Is yours in your bed with you? That would be super hard. Mine's in a crib. He's pretty good now about going back to sleep pretty quickly. When he wakes up in the night or early morning I give him his pacifier and tell him "it's time to go back to sleep" (if you don't do pacifiers obviously I"m not recommending you start!). If he goes back to sleep, fine. But once in a while he's still wanting to get up so I leave the room until he quiets down. He usually goes back to sleep pretty quickly.

I do not think my baby is at all "traumatized" from CIO. Maybe he just figured it out pretty easily though. Seriously, you should see my baby. He does not feel abandoned. He's a super happy well-adjusted kid. I did NOT want to do CIO, but nothing else was working and I'm happy I did because we're all sleeping better now. My baby practically jumps from my arms into bed now at night time. And when he wakes up at 5am and wont go back to sleep and I leave the room for a bit until he finally does after a bit of crying, when he wakes up to start the day at the more manageable hour of 6am he's happy to see me and seems fine with me having "left" him in his bed earlier.
I know people will disagree, I just wanted to share what worked for me.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Jan 28 2017, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:

Good Luck!

I did the same. I kept on pushing it off, but one night I was so bone tired and cldnt take it anymore. I just put my baby in a pack n play in a different room n let her cry. Every once in a while I went in, rubbed her back, gave her a hug n kiss. It took 3 days n she was sleeping through the night!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:18 am
Wine amother maybe your baby is thirsty/ hungry at 5 am. I dont think its nice to walk out on your baby especially as your baby is sleeping the night. Maybe offer your baby a drink and pat them and cuddle him for another rest time till 6. Much hatzlacha figuring this out:)

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:39 am
I don't get it.... you see that Wiessbluth's tips have worked so far... you see that NO ONE has said their baby has been traumatized by CIO (Dr. Weissbluth explains the myth of that well), and you see lots and lots of anecdotal success - mine included...

Why won't you try it again?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 1:29 am
I totally traumatized my baby ( and myself:) with CIO and have major regrets. I wish I never would have done it. There are much better ways to get a baby to sleep then to let a baby suffer. Either way it sounds like your baby is hungry and CIO wouldn't work. I think you should talk to your pediatrician about how to feed your baby more during the day so she wont be as hungry at night ( nursing and solids). Hope you get some sleep!!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
I totally traumatized my baby ( and myself:) with CIO and have major regrets. I wish I never would have done it. There are much better ways to get a baby to sleep then to let a baby suffer. Either way it sounds like your baby is hungry and CIO wouldn't work. I think you should talk to your pediatrician about how to feed your baby more during the day so she wont be as hungry at night ( nursing and solids). Hope you get some sleep!!

Can you give more details?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics