Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training method 10 month old
Previous  1  2

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 8:20 am
I would first check with your pediatrician about whether or not your baby is really hungry during the night and how to address it. Then, I've used the Sleep Lady Shuffle, from the sleep lady book at this age. It's similar to what someone said upthread. Basically, if the baby wakes up you sit next to the crib and shush/pat the back a little until she falls back asleep. You do it everytimes there is a wake up and gradually move further away and touch less. There is also a way to cut down on feedings and make sure the baby is eating, not just sucking. Something like pick a time that would the first nursing and don't do it until then no matter what. This method definitely takes effort and the first couple nights are HARD but in my experience it pays off and the babies learn and adjust quickly. Even though there's some crying, I felt better about it than doing CIO bc I wasn't walking away and shutting the door. We could see each other, I knew baby was ok and they saw that I was there and it was comforting even if frustrating sometimes.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Is PUPD not as successful with very colicky babies? Starting to think that for colicky babies maybe the only thing that works is CIO.
no, my first was way more colicky and pupd worked.

This baby had a major surgery so I'm reluctant to leave him crying in case it's something physical bothering him. This baby wasn't very colicky at all.

smile12345

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:01 pm
A ten month old baby not eating ANY solids is going to be very hungry.
I don't think your priority at this point should be sleep training, but rather in finding some foods that they can tolerate.
My ten month old is still nursing every three hours in the night and I think it's because she's a fussy eater so sleep training might help and then she will eat more in the day. But, if she wasn't eating anything, I would never be able to do that since who knows if the reason they keep waking up isn't just because of hunger?
Are you exclusively nursing or also giving formula? If you give a bottle of formula before bed then it often helps them sleep better since it's heavier.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:54 pm
I was so desperate for sleep and so many people said its my fault I should just let my baby CIO. It was the biggest mistake and I regret not listening to my intuition that its so harsh especially when a baby is so used to nursing all night. First of all it didn't work as my baby was crazy stubborn and screamed for hours. Secondary I feel like its cruel as you never really know if something is bothering them. Maybe they are thirsty hungry have a dirty diaper..ear infection. .teething. .many times a baby is fine during the day yet these things surface at night. And in my situation if I went away for a night or there was yuntif I was back to my baby not sleeping and would have to start the whole process all over again.For me there was too little gain and a lot of harm. I would never do it again. Read the book the " No Cry to Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley for wonderful ways to get your baby to sleep in a loving gentle manner...good luck!!Smile

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
Wine amother maybe your baby is thirsty/ hungry at 5 am. I dont think its nice to walk out on your baby especially as your baby is sleeping the night. Maybe offer your baby a drink and pat them and cuddle him for another rest time till 6. Much hatzlacha figuring this out:)

I do offer him a drink. That isn't what he wants. He just wants to get up. He goes back to sleep until 6ish after I leave the room. I personally don't feel like I'm being mean by leaving.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:37 pm
My baby is 14 months old. I wrapped her in a blanket in a way that pinned her arms down, similar to a swaddle, and she went right to sleep. This was after over an hour of her playing in my bed because I thought she'd sleep better with me. Nope, I was wrong. All she wanted to do was poke Ima in the eyes and mouth.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 4:28 pm
Wine amother...sounds good...happy to hear you offer him drink;)

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:52 pm
Tonight is the night! She is in her crib near me. I keep holding her hand and she pushes me away bec she is mad I am not taking her out. I tried twice to lay her down but it made her more mad. Will she figure out how to lay herself down? What should I expect?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:55 pm
She just sat down. Wow!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 8:04 pm
She fell asleep in the oddest position with her hand under her back. Should I reposition her? I am a newbie to sleep training.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
She fell asleep in the oddest position with her hand under her back. Should I reposition her? I am a newbie to sleep training.

I wouldn't! Wouldn't she wake up if it was uncomfortable?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:51 am
We are on night three. Things are going a lot better than I imagined.

I have one stuck issue. I want to nurse her twice a night. Around 10 and between 2 and 3. Can I expect her to get used to waking up at those times. She woke up tonight 1 30. I let her cry. Is that dumb or is that the proper way to train her?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 8:53 am
amother wrote:

She woke up tonight 1 30. I let her cry. Is that dumb or is that the proper way to train her?

you are going to get a bunch of different answers for this. Some people think it's a horribly mean thing to do, others think it's one of the only ways to get them to start sleeping through...

Does your baby suck on a paci? I guess I had it easy. I was able to just give mine his pacifier and tell him "it's time to go back to sleep now". But I did that starting months earlier then you are starting so it may be harder now that yours is older then mine was. Plus as I said every baby is different. And for mine I guess the pacifier satisfied the sucking need, I don't know if it's a lot harder if the baby does not use a pacifier. How long did she cry for before going back to sleep?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
you are going to get a bunch of different answers for this. Some people think it's a horribly mean thing to do, others think it's one of the only ways to get them to start sleeping through...

Does your baby suck on a paci? I guess I had it easy. I was able to just give mine his pacifier and tell him "it's time to go back to sleep now". But I did that starting months earlier then you are starting so it may be harder now that yours is older then mine was. Plus as I said every baby is different. And for mine I guess the pacifier satisfied the sucking need, I don't know if it's a lot harder if the baby does not use a pacifier. How long did she cry for before going back to sleep?

I want to clarify. How do I teach her to know that we wake up these two specific times in the night. This is different than sleep training without nursing. I am not concerned that she is hungry or wants to suck. I am confident about what I am doing. Again. I want to know how she will learn to only wake these times. Anyone did this? ?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 9:43 am
Im only writing this to be helpful so please take it as such...I think its very wrong to let her cry at 130...she is a person not a machine. Imagine if you were thirsty at 130 am but your boss decided that 2 am is the time to drink so you needed to cry until then to quench your thirst. If your planning on nursing her either way, whats the difference between 130 and 2. A key component to being a good parent is flexibility. Try to think of your baby as a real person when making decisions. Also if your not planning on nursing at times always offer your baby water ( says my pediatrician) you never know when they can be thirsty. I know your desperate for sleep and trust me I more then know what its like ...I have a small baby too who keeps me up ,but for your baby sake dont get so caught up in " I need to train my baby to wake up ay exactly 2:01 am.?" Just like we can get a dog to salivate at the exact ringing of the bell. ... Very Happy Babies are little people with needs lets try to accomodate them to the best of our ability. ( switching feeding time by a half hour...) please take this the right way as I truly mean well...wishing you much hatzlacha and sleep! Very Happy

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
I want to clarify. How do I teach her to know that we wake up these two specific times in the night. This is different than sleep training without nursing. I am not concerned that she is hungry or wants to suck. I am confident about what I am doing. Again. I want to know how she will learn to only wake these times. Anyone did this? ?

I was actually trying to help you out. It sounds like you're kind of giving me an attitude and I don't really understand why. My baby actually did a night-time feeding for a while before quitting totally.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 1:57 am
amother wrote:

Excuse me but you are the child's mother, you should be concerned if your child is hungry and you are withholding nourishment.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 2:42 am
amother wrote:
I was actually trying to help you out. It sounds like you're kind of giving me an attitude and I don't really understand why. My baby actually did a night-time feeding for a while before quitting totally.

Sincerely apologize. I keep getting attacked for my personal choices and I am on the defensive. She cries foor about 15 minutes

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 03 2017, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
Sincerely apologize. I keep getting attacked for my personal choices and I am on the defensive. She cries foor about 15 minutes

That's OK. I understand. I see what some people are writing to you, I know the comments come from a good place but this is a very controversial topic and since it involves our children people get very serious about it (as we should really). I just was asking if your baby was crying for an insanely long amount of time to make sure that she wasn't. 15 minutes is fine I think. She will learn that night time is for sleep. And yes I do believe in "teaching" babies (at a certain age) that night is for sleep(unless for circumstances where they really need to be getting up to eat). Good for the parents who get up all hours. Personally I don't want to and my baby is just fine. I am not abusing him. Maybe they are going the extra mile and are super parents, but I choose not to.

As for "teaching" her times to nurse, I suggest just picking her up at those two times and nursing her while she's still partly asleep. Then gently putting her back down when she's done. (you can do research on the "dream feed" if you haven't done so yet.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics