Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you were given the choice? So torn between these two!!
1  2  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 10:33 am
so, I'm looking to buy a house this season still and I've got 2 options. One is in a condominium, private entrance, middle floor. Sandwiched between 2 growing families. It's a big new block with tons of young people where my kids and I will hopefully make a bunch of friends. My building alone is for about 12 families. Brand new apartment, not the best quality, I get it ready to move in. No changes to layout or anything is allowed.
Option 2. Is a private quiet neighborhood, few families. About 2 houses per acre. Pretty old and will need lots of renovations, but the house is mine! Not shared with anybody! Nobody looking into my windows. But not walking distance to parents or any family.
What type of living would you prefer????
I'm coming now from a quiet block too. Private entrance, and almost no friends and neighbors. But can send my kids to my parents one block away. So it's not that I'm used to the busy kind of streets with tons of bikes and kids!!
Please help me.
I so badly want the private house, chose my own kitchen and paint. And not have noise on my head!! but will we be lonely????

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 10:43 am
Maybe neither choice is right for you.

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
so, I'm looking to buy a house this season still and I've got 2 options. One is in a condominium, private entrance, middle floor. Sandwiched between 2 growing families. It's a big new block with tons of young people where my kids and I will hopefully make a bunch of friends. My building alone is for about 12 families. Brand new apartment, not the best quality, I get it ready to move in. No changes to layout or anything is allowed.
Option 2. Is a private quiet neighborhood, few families. About 2 houses per acre. Pretty old and will need lots of renovations, but the house is mine! Not shared with anybody! Nobody looking into my windows. But not walking distance to parents or any family.
What type of living would you prefer????
I'm coming now from a quiet block too. Private entrance, and almost no friends and neighbors. But can send my kids to my parents one block away. So it's not that I'm used to the busy kind of streets with tons of bikes and kids!!
Please help me.
I so badly want the private house, chose my own kitchen and paint. And not have noise on my head!! but will we be lonely????

You can always visit and invite company. You can expand the home. You can't get rid off your neighbors on either side of you in an apartment.

Is the neighborhood frum? How old are your kids? Do you like the idea of control?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 10:46 am
amother wrote:

Listen. I have to leave my current location. And these are my only 2 options for now. So please tell me more pros and cons.
Or what else do you think can be my choice?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 10:50 am
amother wrote:

This. Keep looking. There's got to be more than two houses on the market in your town.

IMHO, you need a single home dwelling, but on a block with lots of kids, preferably within a half mile radius of your parents. If you kids are old enough to walk together, and can walk a mile, that is doable, too. Maybe not in bad weather, but not impossible either.

Just my opinion, but it doesn't matter how nice the condo is, or how many friends you have in one place, if big families are jumping on your head day and night, you will be MISERABLE. Speaking for myself, I value my sleep too much to deal with that. When I go out, I want company, but when I'm at home, I want QUIET.

B'H, my apartment building is so quiet, you can hear a pin drop at the far end of the hall.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:01 am
Squishy wrote:
You can always visit and invite company. You can expand the home. You can't get rid off your neighbors on either side of you in an apartment.

Is the neighborhood frum? How old are your kids? Do you like the idea of control?

Neighborhood is mostly Gentiles selling thier houses for frum people. And it's filling up pretty quickly. My kids are little. Ages 7 and down. What do you mean by control??

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:11 am
I went from living sandwiched to a private house on a quiet cul de sac. My kids learned to self entertain. I LOVE the peace and quiet. I host lots of guests to make up for the lack of neighbors.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This. Keep looking. There's got to be more than two houses on the market in your town.

IMHO, you need a single home dwelling, but on a block with lots of kids, preferably within a half mile radius of your parents. If you kids are old enough to walk together, and can walk a mile, that is doable, too. Maybe not in bad weather, but not impossible either.

Just my opinion, but it doesn't matter how nice the condo is, or how many friends you have in one place, if big families are jumping on your head day and night, you will be MISERABLE. Speaking for myself, I value my sleep too much to deal with that. When I go out, I want company, but when I'm at home, I want QUIET.

B'H, my apartment building is so quiet, you can hear a pin drop at the far end of the hall.

Good advice here. Keep looking if you can. Neither option sounds ideal.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
Listen. I have to leave my current location. And these are my only 2 options for now. So please tell me more pros and cons.
Or what else do you think can be my choice?

Okay. "have to leave my current location" was not initially stated. If you really aren't sure - choose the one you think you'd have an easier time selling if it doesn't work out.

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
Neighborhood is mostly Gentiles selling thier houses for frum people. And it's filling up pretty quickly. My kids are little. Ages 7 and down. What do you mean by control??

I moved into that exact situation, so that is my advice. My property value has more than doubled the last decade.

At first, it was first it was playdates only for the kids, but as the neighborhood frummed out, more kids moved in.

In a single family detached home, you have control. You don't have to worry so much about your neighbors because you aren't sharing a wall. Their noise isn't effecting you and vice versa. You also get to control the outside of your home. You can add to home if you want.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
Okay. "have to leave my current location" was not initially stated. If you really aren't sure - choose the one you think you'd have an easier time selling if it doesn't work out.

TRUTH! I spent many years working in real estate, and this advice is solid gold.

If your fixer house is in a desirable or up and coming neighborhood (lots of houses under renovation), then you can make a very tidy profit when you flip it on the market. Just make sure you get a VERY good inspection first.

If this is your first fixer, you want to be able to focus on decorative features, and not on propping up a crumbling foundation, or replacing the roof the next time it rains. Also, pay extra for a mold inspection, otherwise your whole family can get very sick.

Condos are easy to move into, but very hard to sell, and you won't get much, if any, money out of it. I know of people who have been stuck with condos for years, and ended up subletting them because nobody wanted to buy.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:28 pm
The condo apartment is in a very very hot section and I can easily flip it. But don't wana move into it for just a year or two. The private house needs lots and lots of redoing. And the prices are going up daily! Mold inspection is a good idea. I'm allergic to that. But I'm willing to take the plunge because yes, I want to be in control! Clean my own lawn and have my own noise.
Hope I'm not depriving my kids of anything if I chose to go private. I'll let things run for now.
Keep your opinions rolling! Thanks

L25

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:28 pm
personally for me a condo sounds like a nightmare but thats just me. if pple are buying in the other area then you will probably soon have so many frum neighbors you won't even know all of them. I'm anti social though Wink and I NEED my space, its really personal.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 12:34 pm
From someone who is renting a condo sandwiched between upstairs and downstairs neighbors take the private house. My kids have tons of friends here but we have no privacy. Too much noise. Water leaking though bathroom fan because upstairs neighbors' bathtub overflowed. My long term plan is to move into private house.

mrsjay

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 1:32 pm
I came from a condo style kids block 2 blocks from my parents..moved to a block with 1 acre properties moved in with 3 frum families now we have 7 and it keeps growing best decision ....we definitly arrange playdates and meet up in the park shabbos afternoon have lots of guest....our shabbos starts on tuesday figuring out whos coming ...wednesday shopping..,thursday cooking.....wouldnt trade this for anything

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 1:51 pm
A vote for private house. I was scared when I moved, but it is the best thing I did. My kids learned to self entertain like someone else said. There is nothing like living private and I am a very social person. I discovered myself and realized I need my space. My house doubled in a very short time.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:20 pm
Since most kiddy socializing is done on Shabbat - explain the distance from private house to the shul.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
A vote for private house. I was scared when I moved, but it is the best thing I did. My kids learned to self entertain like someone else said. There is nothing like living private and I am a very social person. I discovered myself and realized I need my space. My house doubled in a very short time.

Thanks for your reply. But what do you mean your house doubled? The house I'm looking at has 3 bedrooms and one guest room in basement. Wish I would have more so I can invite more guest. There's no expanding abilities right now.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your reply. But what do you mean your house doubled? The house I'm looking at has 3 bedrooms and one guest room in basement. Wish I would have more so I can invite more guest. There's no expanding abilities right now.

She meant doubled in value, not size.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:52 pm
If you buy a private house, you will need to actively find friends. You will need to call them. Make an effort. If your ok, with it then your good.

Personally I did this big change, I moved from city where there were a lot of people. To suburb. Very very quiet place. I am not happy. I don't have my crowd yet. It's coming. I'm here for a while without any real friends. I'm lonely. I know that it will change its gonna take time. I am getting used to it. I have times I'm ok, and times when I feel a lot of loneliness. I think it's also got to do with the fact that I'm not good socially. I would have more friends but I'm not good so I avoid people not to make mistakes. Ouch it hurts. I think I would have it anywhere. Because that's my personal problem.

If you don't have anything like this, then you shouldn't have this issue.

Financially it's better your own property it's definitely worth more. And your kids get privacy. Op you sound like your in Brooklyn. Disregard if I'm wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics