Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you were given the choice? So torn between these two!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:19 pm
I second the private house.
We did the same thing. We chose a private house in a quiet newer jewish neighborhood over development living. We were the seventh frum family or so to move in. We all love it. Including my children (who do get bored at times) . But they agree that they wouldnt like it in the mess of a develpment.
Theres nothing like a private house of your own. No one elses toys on your lawn or driveway. You can enjoy your back yard with out being on show to very one else. You can expand when you want. Bed time is when you decide not the neighborhood....

But ultimately it has to be your decision because some people cant handle the quiet and lack of constant company.

Also as others pointed out the value of my house doubled in 3 years...
Condo/townhouse generaly dont have a great resale value. So do your home work.
Hatzlacha with whatever you choose.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:56 pm
Director go private Director Im living with neighbors now; when we had to decide between condo and private it wasnt even a decision. I didnt want to hear anything else other than private. I had enough living with other ppl. I want my own noise, my own garbage, my own everything. Im going from tons of neighbors to hardly any but its 1000% worth it!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 7:01 pm
Op here. Can't thank you enough for pushing me to go private. Because ultimately, that's my dream! Would rather live in a smaller house with less square foot but private. Condo though, pays for roof damages, lawn and stuff. That's another pro of living with that. Also, because I never had neighbors until now, I was always so jealous hearing my friends or sisters saying they can stand by the bus stop for hours and schmooze. And then plan the day together. And then go shopping together. I never had that experience. But then I hear how my sisters neighbor just walks into her house and is so comfortable opening the fridge, or whatever. I cringe. Get out of my territory. So for me private is a lot better. Just so much work to put in!! And the ceilings are low. But still workable! Thanks everyone!!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 9:31 pm
I was in exactly your situation a year ago. We went private on a cul-de-sac with only 4 other Jewish families. We moved in a half-a-year ago and 2 more houses on our block went onto the market. Hopefully they will be filled by more Jewish neighbors.
But in the meantime, yes it was an adjustment. My kids still talk about running outside and having friends always available.
But I couldn't be happier now. No noise above my head. Sukkos here was beautiful. We only heard our zmiros and dh didn't have to yell his kiddush louder than my landlord's zmiros. In the summer we lived it up eating supper as a family outdoors which I would not feel comfortable doing in condo-village.
be prepared for hard work maintaining your property but we do it as a family and really enjoyed the work. all the kids helped digging and shoveling mulch and picking up dirt while I served hot dogs. this would never work where we lived before. I love that I can stand at the window in my pj's in the morning when sending off my kids. I love that I don't have to worry if my neighbors hear me being intimate with dh. I love that I can come and go whenver wherever (mikva included) without wondering if the neighbors notice and what are they thinking about my leaving the house at supper-time.
But agian you have to know yourself. I was never part of the yenta bungalow colony group of ladies yapping outside. I tend to keep to myself. I never relied on baby monitors to babysit my kids while I go out with my dh. If you had that till now, be prepared for the adjustment period.
BUt you sound so determined to go private that I think it's meant for you. Just hold out for the first few months until you get used to it.

melalyse

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 9:47 pm
I'll be the odd one out here. I presently rent in a wonderful building. My kids have tons of friends and I love that my kids have people to play with. My dream is to buy a nice spacious apartment and I have no interest in living in a private house. But of course that is me - not necessarily you. I would like to own, but not have to deal with boilers and roofs and plumbers and snow shoveling. And I love not having to take my kids to playdates.

sitting

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:19 am
I would definitely go private. especially if its a community that looks likely to grow. as people have said the value of your property will increase and you will gain neighbours in the future. while some people love the "bungalow colony" style living all year round I think its healthy for the kids to have space and family time, privacy and quiet living. I think its good for them to learn to get creative and entertain themselves.
we bought 16 years ago a house ina neighborhood 10 min drive from the big jewish community. when we bought there was one local.kosher shop...now there are 4...restaurants....tons of shuls etc....adn our house value has tripeled. when we bought there was 2 other frum families on our street...both much older than myself....with big kids...since, they both moved and our road has plentry of frum families witg young kids.
good luck and know whatever you choose or you fall into...you have the power to make it work.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics