Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do you know that sheitel are really allowed?
Previous  1  2

tweek

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:43 am
rimon613 wrote:
I don't know I am just scared because Rav Ovadia Yosef is not the only Rav that said this. I saw a presentation online about how bad it is to wear sheitels with quotes from many different gedolim about how terrible it is and it really scares me. Hair covering in general has been the hardest mitzva for me. I just want to do the right thing and I don't want to end up in Gehenom but sometimes I feel like it's just too much for me.

I wish I could hug you and apologize for anyone using these tactics to scare you into being insecure about your Yiddishkeit. I'm so sorry for them that they feel this is a necessary way to bring a point across.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:15 am
Roots wrote:

also:

Quote:
Rabbanim are not Gd. They are not automatically correct, no matter what.

I think you are very very wrong. a Rav is posek for you, and whatever he says is correct. in beis din shel maaleh they paskin like beis din shel mata, and if the rabbanim here pasken something, thats how they relate to it up there. ever heard of
עַל פִּי הַתּוֹרָה אֲשֶׁר יוֹרוּךָ וְעַל הַמִּשְׁפָּט אֲשֶׁר יֹאמְרוּ לְךָ תַּעֲשֶׂה לֹא תָסוּר מִן הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר יַגִּידוּ לְךָ יָמִין וּשְׂמֹאל:

thank you!!
That post astounded me.

That is what the Rav is there for, and if people are confused in thinking he is just a person to ask an opinion of, and then choose to see whether they agree with what he says or not...well I dont know what to tell you. Thats just not the case, and is a fundemental aspect of Judaism that you should learn about.

However your Rav paskins halacha is what you should do, without wondering whether or not he is "correct". There are many sources for this.

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:24 am
smile12345 wrote:
Comparing her very short synthetic sheitel to the long natural ones worn by most ladies is a joke.

(I also wear sheitels, but just saying that there's no way you can use her to justify what we are all wearing.)

Thank you for being honest enough to verbalize this!

I hear people say that dramatic tichels are just as bad as long shaitles because they stick out in a crowd. I beg to differ. An overly adorned tichel is pretty, artistic, colorful, noticeable, but not s-xy. A long (or otherwise inappropriate) shaitle is s-xy. That is the difference.

I wear both shaitles and tichels, my shaitle is shoulder length and aidle, and I honestly feel more comfortable and pretty in a tichel, which I usually do.

Wigs started out as a heter for people that would otherwise not cover their hair. I doubt many people today would fall into that category. It has, however, become acceptable, and I think almost all rabbanim allow appropriate (whatever that means) shaitles.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 12:01 pm
funnyface wrote:

Wigs started out as a heter for people that would otherwise not cover their hair. I doubt many people today would fall into that category. It has, however, become acceptable, and I think almost all rabbanim allow appropriate (whatever that means) shaitles.

Actually, you'd be surprised. If you look at recent history, you would see that since wigs became popular and mainstream, almost everyone in frum communities covers their hair after marriage. This was not true when sheitels were not so easily obtainable.

A seminary teacher of mine who wears a tichel told us that when she got married, few frum women covered their hair. The first Shabbos after her wedding, she went to shul, and a woman told her "oh, take that shmatta off your head" and pulled her tichel off!

This would never happen in a frum shul today....

rimon613

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:20 pm
It interesting how everyone has a different opinion about this

Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:34 pm
smile12345 wrote:
Comparing her very short synthetic sheitel to the long natural ones worn by most ladies is a joke.

(I also wear sheitels, but just saying that there's no way you can use her to justify what we are all wearing.)

The poster who brought up Reb. K. wearing a sheitel was in response to OP who didn't know whether Rav K. allowed sheitels altogether (like R. Ovadia Yosef). So the answer is - yes- the Rebbetzin wore a sheitel (unlike R' Ovadia Yosef). The fact that her sheitel is different than the long, natural ones is not actually the point, as R. Ovadia doesn't even allow the short synthetic ones.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 9:50 pm
rimon613 wrote:
I don't know I am just scared because Rav Ovadia Yosef is not the only Rav that said this. I saw a presentation online about how bad it is to wear sheitels with quotes from many different gedolim about how terrible it is and it really scares me. Hair covering in general has been the hardest mitzva for me. I just want to do the right thing and I don't want to end up in Gehenom but sometimes I feel like it's just too much for me.
Rimon, why are you scared of what OTHER rabbanim say about this? What does YOUR rav say about this? Thats all that matters, not the other rabbanim.
And again, are you sfardi?

rimon613

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:02 pm
Yes I am sefardi

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:08 pm
rimon613 wrote:
Yes I am sefardi
ok. and what does your rav say?

rimon613

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 3:21 am
I actually asked his wife and she said that wigs are ok for our community because our community is not on such a high level in regards to tsniut but that hats are preferable. She herself wears only hats, no sheitels.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 5:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
Actually, you'd be surprised. If you look at recent history, you would see that since wigs became popular and mainstream, almost everyone in frum communities covers their hair after marriage. This was not true when sheitels were not so easily obtainable.

A seminary teacher of mine who wears a tichel told us that when she got married, few frum women covered their hair. The first Shabbos after her wedding, she went to shul, and a woman told her "oh, take that shmatta off your head" and pulled her tichel off!

This would never happen in a frum shul today....

This is exactly why the Lubavitcher Rebbe strongly encouraged women to wear nice sheitals.

Funny story: A sefardi friend of mine covers her hair. She was living temporarily in another country (in Europe). She had to go for some type of visa check and they told her to take off her hat for a picture. She said, but I cover my hair for religious reasons. I'm Jewish. The official looked at her, and said, You can't be Jewish, Jews are white!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:01 am
rimon613 wrote:
I actually asked his wife and she said that wigs are ok for our community because our community is not on such a high level in regards to tsniut but that hats are preferable. She herself wears only hats, no sheitels.

So think about it.
From all the hype these days one would think that the only alternative to sheitels are wrapped tichels (not that I'm knocking them but). There are so many other options. Ask your husband and see what you might want to try. But if he prefers a sheitel, or for various reasons - personal or professional - you do, you have solid ground to wear one on. I don't know what length you wear but you might feel more comfortable not going below shoulder length, evaluating the part - maybe even filling it in...for you, these would be very valuable hiddurim.
Tizku l'mitzvos!

MadameX

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:44 am
I had never asked my Rabbi regarding wearing wigs since I know he allows it, but I did once ask him about showing some of my own hair since I had just purchased a fall. We sent a picture and was told it was fine (I had about an inch and a half showing, no different than the amount of hair you see with some women wearing tichels that show a bit of their hair in the front). The fall was natural looking and on the long side. I was never told it was not tzanua.
I am Sefardi and my Rabbi is a Sefardi Rav. Rav Ovadia Yosef Z"L Used to stand up when my Rav would walk into a room, which is something he did not do, from what I understand, to many people. Which to me shows that he respected my Rav as a Talmid Chacham regardless of their different views on some subjects.
Yes, Rabbis can and do pasken differently. Doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong. Just follow your Rav and after 120 you'll be just fine beezrat HaShem.

rimon613

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 3:33 pm
MadameX wrote:
I had never asked my Rabbi regarding wearing wigs since I know he allows it, but I did once ask him about showing some of my own hair since I had just purchased a fall. We sent a picture and was told it was fine (I had about an inch and a half showing, no different than the amount of hair you see with some women wearing tichels that show a bit of their hair in the front). The fall was natural looking and on the long side. I was never told it was not tzanua.
I am Sefardi and my Rabbi is a Sefardi Rav. Rav Ovadia Yosef Z"L Used to stand up when my Rav would walk into a room, which is something he did not do, from what I understand, to many people. Which to me shows that he respected my Rav as a Talmid Chacham regardless of their different views on some subjects.
Yes, Rabbis can and do pasken differently. Doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong. Just follow your Rav and after 120 you'll be just fine beezrat HaShem.

Is your Rabbi by any chance Rabbi BenDavid?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels