Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
5.5 yo deep sleeper and misses bus almost daily. My fault?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:19 am
I wake him early enough but also try to be quiet to not wake other kid in his room that leaves an hr later. If I set a loud alarm clock it'll wake everyone! What should I do so he becomes alert and starts undressing right away? I pull his blanket off but then he covers himself back and doses off...
Help!
He goes to sleep early. Usually at 7:30 but doesn't fall asleep before 10!!

cinnamon

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:35 am
Take him out of the room and have him get dressed somewhere else.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:54 am
yes its your fault. You (or who ever is responsible for morning childcare in your house) is responsible to get your 5.5 year old on the bus on time.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:58 am
Yes, at 5.5 years old, I think you need to make sure he's dressed (even if you have to dress him yourself) and get him on the bus.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:02 am
I used to put DD's clothes in the dryer for 5 minutes, after I woke her the first time. By the time the clothes were toasty warm, I'd wake her up again, and she's scoot from the warm blankets to the warm clothes. Worked like a charm!

If she got ready really quickly and we had extra time, I'd put her on my lap, and we would do Google image searches for whatever she was interested in. Ladybugs, kittens, puppies, horses, etc. (Make sure you have "safe search" on! shock ) If she was dragging her feet, the natural consequence was that there was no time to look at pictures with mommy.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:14 am
You already have a little bachur. The way my mom would wake me up she would literally change my clothes and that would wake me up. You want to compare a warm nightgown to a freezing cold uniform shirt? The falling asleep I also had an issue with we discovered that 1. I am very creative 2. Eating sugar afte two PM. Is a disaster.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:17 am
Take him out of the room and let him sleep on your bed or something for a few minutes. Then dress him and put on his shoes. By then he should be more awake. At this age there is no excuse for missing the bus. It's in your control only.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:24 am
This will sound strange, but it could be that he can't fall asleep until late because he is overtired. I used to have that with my daughter, and when I started putting her in early, she would fall asleep within 5 minutes. Try putting him to bed at 6-6:30 every night for a week and see what happens.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:52 am
When is his bus? What time does he need to wake up in the morning?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:59 am
gp2.0 wrote:
When is his bus? What time does he need to wake up in the morning?

His bus comes at 8:45. When dd leaves about 8:10, I wake him and put his clothing on his bed. I'm too tired then to start my day so I try to keep everything quiet for a while. I know I'm wrong. I should put the lights on and start dressing him. I thought this age dresses by themselves already!! My fault! My fault!! Thanks everyone!!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
His bus comes at 8:45. When dd leaves about 8:10, I wake him and put his clothing on his bed. I'm too tired then to start my day so I try to keep everything quiet for a while. I know I'm wrong. I should put the lights on and start dressing him. I thought this age dresses by themselves already!! My fault! My fault!! Thanks everyone!!

He should be old enough to dress himself, for the most part, but he may need help getting himself out of bed. He's too young to expect that he'll do that entirely on his own, particularly without an alarm clock, and in a dark room. You need to be more proactive in making sure he's awake.

One person suggested that he go to bed earlier. I'd suggest later. He needs 10 to 13 hours, in general. His bedtime puts him at the high end, while he falls asleep around the lower end. Maybe keeping him up another hour will make him more ready to fall asleep quickly.

mamushkadov

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 4:10 pm
I don't think 'fault' is the right word- it isn't the end of the world. However, I would not expect a 5.5 year old to be responsible enough to wake himself up in the dark, dress, and be ready to catch a bus without help.

mamushkadov

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:

I know this is asking a lot, but is there anyway for you to get yourself to bed a little earlier so you are able to start your day earlier?

mfb

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 4:19 pm
Try a noise machine in his room, to drone out normal house noises so that he can fall asleep earlier.

gibberish

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 4:24 pm
I would also try getting him up before your other child leaves. Half an hour may not be enough time to get ready.

newmother

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:31 pm
I give my kids an hour to get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth ect. Any extra time is playing time. It's better to have extra time than not enough and it's important to teach kids that they can get ready calmly and not wait till last second to get up.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:35 pm
I would wake him much earlier. My six year old has an hour to an hour and a half before he has to leave. 30 min would have us all in a panic.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:36 pm
mamushkadov wrote:
I know this is asking a lot, but is there anyway for you to get yourself to bed a little earlier so you are able to start your day earlier?

I don't go to bed too late. Usually between 10-11. But I'm the worst morning person ever!! To be honest, my dream as a mother is to be up and dressed before my kids. Not send them off in a nightgown! Wish I can start my day at 7!!! How?????? Husband also wakes up last minute. If his minyan starts at 9 he'll wake up 8:58. So, it is kinda hard! But I am working on it!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:40 pm
Actually my main concern is my 18 mo baby. I don't mind being up early and waking the school kids early enough to get ready. Open lights and music, but my baby can sleep till 9 or later! When he's up he needs my fullest attention, and brkfst right away. He does have a noise machine, but won't help if all kids are up and noisy. So, should I wake ds hour earlier but make sure he whispers??

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:47 pm
First of all, no need to point fingers and blame anyone. 5.5 is old enough to start taking some responsibility for getting himself to school, but only once you have set up a workable schedule for him to follow.

I think half an hour is way too little time for him to get ready. I give my kids an hour and a half if I want calm mornings with enough time to spare. my daughter wakes at 8, is dressed by 8:30 on her own pace, ways breakfast until 9, then plays/colors/waits outside for her bus at 9:30. I just give her pointers to keep the morning going, but it's her responsibility to get to the bus on time. So I'll say, time to get dressed, time to eat breakfast, time to get ready at the door.

Also, I don't think it's fair to keep the room dark and quiet and expect him to wake up at the same time. I don't know how old the other kids is, but 8:15 is about time for any age kid to wake up. Can you do a family wake up, turn the lights and noise on, so that your kid can regulate their circadian rhythm and start waking naturally on time? Otherwise I also agree that if your kid never falls asleep before 10 to put him to bed later.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics