Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Priebus: No regrets Holocaust statement didn't refer to Jews
1  2  Next

mazal555

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 2:56 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/politic......html

Are we next or something? And why announce the immigration ban on Holocaust Remembrance Day? Are they clueless or is it a message of some sort?

I am a history buff, and there are shades of Spain here that I don't like.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 3:04 pm
mazal555 wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/29/priebus-no-regrets-holocaust-statement-didnt-refer-to-jews.html

Are we next or something? And why announce the immigration ban on Holocaust Remembrance Day? Are they clueless or is it a message of some sort?

I am a history buff, and there are shades of Spain here that I don't like.

I honestly wasn't perturbed by the initial statement. I figured they MEANT Jews, even if they didn't say it. The clarification was chilling.

Laiya

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:19 pm
I just heard on the radio that the statement was drafted by a Jewish child or grandchild (forgot) of Holocaust survivors, and the administration thought it was obvious it meant Jews.

I've come to the conclusion that, if you're one of those who thinks Trump is acting like a reasonable leader, that's how you will view most things he does.

And if you think he's the next Hitler, then you will find support for that, too. (This is one of Scott Adams' ideas, and it resonates.)

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:28 pm
Laiya wrote:
I just heard on the radio that the statement was drafted by a Jewish child or grandchild (forgot) of Holocaust survivors, and the administration thought it was obvious it meant Jews.

I've come to the conclusion that, if you're one of those who thinks Trump is acting like a reasonable leader, that's how you will view most things he does.

And if you think he's the next Hitler, then you will find support for that, too. (This is one of Scott Adams' ideas, and it resonates.)

Nope.

Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, defended the language in a Sunday interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” telling the host, Chuck Todd, “I don’t regret the words. I mean, everyone’s suffering in the Holocaust including obviously, all of the Jewish people affected and the miserable genocide that occurred — it’s something that we consider to be extraordinarily sad.”

Hope Hicks, Trump's White House Director of Strategic Communications, also told CNN that the wording was intentional: “Despite what the media reports, we are an incredibly inclusive group and we took into account all of those who suffered,” Hicks said. Asked if the White House was suggesting President Donald Trump didn't mention Jews as victims of the Holocaust because he didn't want to offend the other people the Nazis targeted and killed, Hicks replied, "it was our honor to issue a statement in remembrance of this important day." She also tweeted a reference to others who were killed in the Holocaust.

The White House explanation was that the President didn't want to exclude any of the other groups Nazis killed by specifically mentioning Jews.

So the administration pretty obviously meant that the Holocaust should be seen not as exclusively Jewish, and that Jews should not be singled out for remembrance.

Maybe you're OK with that. I'm not.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:29 pm
Laiya wrote:

I would assume that Kushner drafted the statement. I personally was not offended by the statement, I figured that a reference to the Holocaust is obviously a reference to Jews, it goes without saying. Do I have to be offended to be p.c.? I don't feel offended...

As for Trump's leadership style, it's definitely interesting. But I've realized that not everything is as extreme as it seems at first glance. Take the immigration ban- if this were a permanent measure, I would be quite shocked, but seeing as it's a temporary measure to allow time to create a safe vetting process, I'm not particularly bothered by it. (Although, for green card holders, im really surprised this was not dealt with in the Trump administration's original statement on the issue. Yes, it would have been horrifying to keep out people who have resided here long enough to hold green cards. I'm glad that issue was resolved.)

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:34 pm
gold21 wrote:
I would assume that Kushner drafted the statement. I personally was not offended by the statement, I figured that a reference to the Holocaust is obviously a reference to Jews, it goes without saying. Do I have to be offended to be p.c.? I don't feel offended...

As for Trump's leadership style, it's definitely interesting. But I've realized that not everything is as extreme as it seems at first glance. Take the immigration ban- if this were a permanent measure, I would be quite shocked, but seeing as it's a temporary measure to allow time to create a safe vetting process, I'm not particularly bothered by it. (Although, for green card holders, im really surprised this was not dealt with in the Trump administration's original statement on the issue. Yes, it would have been horrifying to keep out people who have resided here long enough to hold green cards. I'm glad that issue was resolved.)

See the clarifications. As I said, I wasn't originally troubled. Then I was, when it was clarified that so many people suffered during the Holocaust, the Jews shouldn't be singled out.

As to the ban, Reince Priebus first said the order "doesn't affect" green card holders, then later said "of course" it affects green card holders from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia.

Laiya

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:42 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Nope.

Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, defended the language in a Sunday interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” telling the host, Chuck Todd, “I don’t regret the words. I mean, everyone’s suffering in the Holocaust including obviously, all of the Jewish people affected and the miserable genocide that occurred — it’s something that we consider to be extraordinarily sad.”

Hope Hicks, Trump's White House Director of Strategic Communications, also told CNN that the wording was intentional: “Despite what the media reports, we are an incredibly inclusive group and we took into account all of those who suffered,” Hicks said. Asked if the White House was suggesting President Donald Trump didn't mention Jews as victims of the Holocaust because he didn't want to offend the other people the Nazis targeted and killed, Hicks replied, "it was our honor to issue a statement in remembrance of this important day." She also tweeted a reference to others who were killed in the Holocaust.

The White House explanation was that the President didn't want to exclude any of the other groups Nazis killed by specifically mentioning Jews.

So the administration pretty obviously meant that the Holocaust should be seen not as exclusively Jewish, and that Jews should not be singled out for remembrance.

Maybe you're OK with that. I'm not.

I hadn't seen that, and yes I do find it troubling. But then, I found many things that Obama said and did deeply troubling, too. But Obama wasn't Hitler, and neither is Trump. Imo.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:45 pm
Laiya wrote:
I hadn't seen that, and yes I do find it troubling. But then, I found many things that Obama said and did deeply troubling, too. But Obama wasn't Hitler, and neither is Trump. Imo.

I don't think I ever said that Trump was Hitler.

I hate when people compare every act of every person they disagree with, however vehemently, to Hitler. It diminishes the actual import and breadth and tragedy of the Holocaust.

scrltfr

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:46 pm
If you read the comments on any article on friday you saw people complaining that it wasn't all about the jews, and it wasn't and I'm ok with the original statement and so is my husband who is the grandson of 4 survivors and whose father was born in a dp camp.

Laiya

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 6:59 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I don't think I ever said that Trump was Hitler.

I hate when people compare every act of every person they disagree with, however vehemently, to Hitler. It diminishes the actual import and breadth and tragedy of the Holocaust.

I didn't mean that you personally think he's Hitler. Comparing DJ to Hitler was a meme during the election and is still going strong. It's interesting how the same person is viewed in such opposing lights by different people, and that whatever he does seems to give both sets more supporting evidence for their view.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:03 pm
If it was the Obama administration, the Trumpians on this forum would be up in arms. But because it's trump, everyone's trying to be Dan lekaf zechus...

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
If it was the Obama administration, the Trumpians on this forum would be up in arms. But because it's trump, everyone's trying to be Dan lekaf zechus...

I agree. But all the Obama supporters would be defending Obama.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:11 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Find some Obama threads and see if you can find where I commented. Then let me know if that generalization is true.

Maya

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 7:13 pm
Laiya wrote:

A guy who is becoming famous for spouting "alternate facts" is the one who said this. I don't believe one word that comes out of his mouth.

Sean Spicer is a shameless liar, but I'm not surprised since the entire administration he's working for is comprised of shameless liars. He's hired to perpetuate all the bs that our president wants us to believe.

And ha ha ha to the idiotic belief that Kushner will "save" us. IMO, anyone who still thinks this is so blindly in denial.

stillgrowing

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:01 am
All previous administrions mentioned Jews specifically. There must be a reason Trump did not. He was obviously trying to make someone happy.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:56 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I honestly wasn't perturbed by the initial statement. I figured they MEANT Jews, even if they didn't say it. The clarification was chilling.

Wasn't the clarification basically also "we meant Jews, even if we didn't say it"?

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:00 am
Is he doing this so as not to bother his kkk supporters? Confused

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:06 am
Not as a defense or non-defense of Trump, but - the IDF did the same thing this year.

IDF statement was updated after the NRG news site pointed it out.

I think on this issue there's a very fine line... On the one hand, Holocaust deniers love to portray the Holocaust as something that wasn't about Jews specifically. OTOH, there were other groups targeted. It was also genocide against the Roma people, and others.

Not mentioning Jews could be a nod to Holocaust denial, but OTOH mentioning just Jews and not other groups by name on International holocaust memorial day strikes me as offensive, too.

(On Israeli/Jewish memorial days I think it's natural that the focus is on the Jewish people.)

In this case, Trump should err on the side of caution re: coming across as an anti-Semite. JMHO.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:10 am
Yes, Simple1. Framing the Holocaust as a terrible event that happened to lots of people is a well-known white supremacist trope. According to that narrative, the Jews were one of many groups targeted by the Nazis. That's a false narrative; only Jews and possibly Roma (gypsies) were targeted for complete extinction and on top of that, because of their ethnicity.

It is hard for me to believe that Orthodox Jews are okay with the WH's statement.

stillgrowing

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:12 am
The problem with giving him the benefit of the doubt is that he does not seem to care so much about offending others. Again, he (and probably also Bannon) want to please whoever can best help support their goals.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics