Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
English name for Malky
1  2  3  Next

Tobi

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 9:56 pm
We are planning to name our baby girl Malky. I always give an English name on the birth cert. Should I put Melinda or something that starts with the letter M? Or perhaps a name that I like Kate or Charlotte?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:02 pm
I actually love the name Malka and it works well in secular settings. It may also be easier for her if both names are the same. But if you love another name like Charlotte (❤), then go for it!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:03 pm
There doesn't have to be a connection between the English and Hebrew name - you can choose any name you like. My aunt Malka happens to be Helen.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:04 pm
was the royal connection there intended - or coincidental? Smile Smile

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:06 pm
Molly

bookworm10

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:12 pm
Put the name you like and Malka for a middle name. It will make things less complicated later on with checks, etc.

littleprincess

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 2:11 am
I know someone who has a malky and calls her queeny
My baby is malky and we registered her as malka

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 3:19 am
I would only give English names for a Hebrew name that is difficult to pronounce. I would have no problem with Malka or other easy to pronounce names on a birth certificate. (Miriam, Esther, etc)
[In fact, I worked with an African American non Jew named Miriam!]

little_mage

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:29 am
My daughter's middle name is Malka, but she's named for my great-aunt Mae (who was apparently named for a Malka).

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 6:38 am
Keep in mind that when you register her for school, even Jewish school, her legal name will be what she's registered with. I can't tell you how annoyed my friends who had Hebrew names that were used exclusively having to tell every single teacher, every single year on every first day of school that their name wasn't Belinda but Shira. And it doesn't end in highschool, but follows them to college and then to CVs (because your college transcripts have you legal name) etc.

If you are going to pick an English name anyway, try to make it as close as possible (e.g. Molly, May, Mikayla). At least if you English name is Ralph and your Hebrew name is Rephael, it's not that far off.

Tobi

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:53 am
OP here. I always give an English name that is similar to the hebrew name. However, with Malky, the English names that start with M aren't very attractive to me. Unless you can think of something pretty......

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:58 am
Malika?

lucky14

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:56 am
Tobi wrote:
OP here. I always give an English name

Why? People in general have such interesting names nowadays I don't really see having a "hebrew" name on the birth certificate as an issue. And as others said it actually makes things a lot easier. Is there a reason why you want them to have an "english" name as well?

justmarried

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:41 am
I have one child that has a different legal name and I regret it. It's so much simpler to have one name.
I think years ago people were embarrassed with their Jewish names. Today, having a different name is totally acceptable. Did you get ever check out many names black people use? And the weird names celebrities give? There is nothing wrong.
If you're worried about how it sounds professionally, malka is a simple and pretty name that shouldn't cause any issues

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:55 am
Our last child was a boy but if it would have been a girl we were thinking Malka in Hebrew and Alexandra in English because it's a pretty name and sounds like a queen. (Shlomtzion Alexandra etc).

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 10:57 am
Hi the Malka I know are Melissa, Molly

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:28 am
Mia, Maya

I personally do whatever name I like, doesn't have to be similar in my opinion.

greenhelm

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:30 am
The Malka I know is called Monica in English.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 12:05 pm
Marsha Melissa

MyUsername

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 12:07 pm
Madeline, Marcia, Melinda, Mara
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics