Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
English name for Malky
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:59 pm
Tobi wrote:
I personally think its more professional as an adult. I'm not trying to "fit in" the non jewish world per se but I do want my child to feel aristocratic and having a Jewish sounding name is just uninspiring to me....

Curious what it means to feel aristocratic? .... but Charlotte and Kate were good choices...

gittelchana

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:00 pm
Tobi wrote:
We are planning to name our baby girl Malky. I always give an English name on the birth cert. Should I put Melinda or something that starts with the letter M? Or perhaps a name that I like Kate or Charlotte?

I personally love the name Malky, I can't fathom changing such a beautiful name.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:09 pm
Tobi wrote:
I personally think its more professional as an adult. I'm not trying to "fit in" the non jewish world per se but I do want my child to feel aristocratic and having a Jewish sounding name is just uninspiring to me....

Professional as in what? Having your name called out in the drs office? You can call yourself any name you want at work or wherever you are without it having to be legal on the birth certificate. I find it confusing to go by 2 differen names in general.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 12:11 am
Tobi wrote:

What's more aristocratic than a name that means "Queen"? If a name has an unpronounceable "ch" sound, I can see giving an English name. Otherwise, no. It gives the subliminal message that there's something inferior about our heritage.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 12:25 am
flowerpower wrote:
Professional as in what? Having your name called out in the drs office? You can call yourself any name you want at work or wherever you are without it having to be legal on the birth certificate. I find it confusing to go by 2 differen names in general.

Well no, not everyone can call themselves whatever they want. In my field of work I need to use my legal name. And it is so frustrating to have such a hard to pronounce name. I wish I had been given an English one.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 1:28 am
flowerpower wrote:

If you have a professional license you need to practice under it. Like therapists, doctors, psychologists...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:39 am
It's good to have an english name too, my dh name is Simcha, they all have such a hard time pronouncing it, although when he tells them the meaning of it everyone responds is "what a beautiful name"....

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
It's good to have an english name too, my dh name is Simcha, they all have such a hard time pronouncing it, although when he tells them the meaning of it everyone responds is "what a beautiful name"....

right, but the "ch" is confusing for people. Malka shouldn't be a problem that's why some of us are confused why it needs an English version.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:33 am
lucky14 wrote:
right, but the "ch" is confusing for people. Malka shouldn't be a problem that's why some of us are confused why it needs an English version.

OP wants English names for her daughters... not needs. Its her prerogative. Her 'motives' or reasons for doing that are hers. Not sure why that is up for debate. Malka is not an English name.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:43 am
My husband always says indians/Arabs/Chinese have no prob going by klejdi, Hussein, and silk but all the Jews are going by Steve, joe, Ben, and Michael. We are ashamed:(

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
My husband always says indians/Arabs/Chinese have no prob going by klejdi, Hussein, and silk but all the Jews are going by Steve, joe, Ben, and Michael. We are ashamed:(

lol. you just don't know that the 'Jack' you met the other day was an arab, but he is. Same way not everybody knows that 'Ben' is Jewish because they don't care to find out.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:52 am
amother wrote:

Nothing to be ashamed of. My kids have their jewish names as legal names and so far I didn't have any problems with it.

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
Molly is so old-lady. Yuck-o-rama.

Michelle is a beautiful name.

Melania is a terrible name for a Jewish girl.

I think very old fashioned names like Molly are coming back into fashion. Just be aware it is often short for Mary or Margaret. (I actually love the name) It also sounds like it could be short for Malka.

Michelle actually sounds a bit dated to me now...I would be surprised to meet a child named Michelle. But if you like the name, use it.

Melania - no. Don't. Melanie is not too bad though.

Having said that I go by my hebrew name and people are always intrigued. It doesn't have a ch sound so people have no problem with it.

Amother, Ben and Michael are Jewish names! They have just been appropriated by non-Jews.

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
OP wants English names for her daughters... not needs. Its her prerogative. Her 'motives' or reasons for doing that are hers. Not sure why that is up for debate. Malka is not an English name.

We're just curious. Not debating. And some people are just giving their personal experience stories of how having their legal name the same as their Hebrew was helpful. You are right in though since she isn't really responding to that part of the convo much we should pick up on the fact that she doesn't really want to tell us her reasons and we should prob just be quiet about it.

gande

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 2:48 pm
quinny-for queen! You can make one up btw. I saw a list of January's trendiest names and I never heard of or know how to pronounce most of the! The more outlandish the better.

Smiling Wife

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:28 pm
Reina ( Malka in Spanish/Ladino)

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Keep in mind that when you register her for school, even Jewish school, her legal name will be what she's registered with. I can't tell you how annoyed my friends who had Hebrew names that were used exclusively having to tell every single teacher, every single year on every first day of school that their name wasn't Belinda but Shira. And it doesn't end in highschool, but follows them to college and then to CVs (because your college transcripts have you legal name) etc.

If you are going to pick an English name anyway, try to make it as close as possible (e.g. Molly, May, Mikayla). At least if you English name is Ralph and your Hebrew name is Rephael, it's not that far off.

I was always registered to school with my Hebrew name , and not my English name.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 01 2017, 8:34 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I was always registered to school with my Hebrew name , and not my English name.

What name is on your degree(s)?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics